1.    #1  
    After spending a LOT of time and effort to figure out all of the ins and outs of using Audible on your Treo you can check the full comprehensive review here...

Let me know what you think + as always your feedback is very much appreciated.

Cheers, W.

[UPDATE] I know that a lot of you may have previously looked at Audible's service or just heard about it and then moved on without trying it or doing anything else about it. I know because that's exactly how I felt about it as well until very recently!

As I mention in the review, if anybody had asked me what I thought of audiobooks in general I would have pretty quickly and categorically stated that I was absolutely not interested... I was wrong... Within days of using Audible's service I was well and truly hooked.

On top of that you can check out how Treo 600 users can get two FREE - no obligation - Audible books for a spin ...
    Last edited by wanderman; 09/12/2004 at 07:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderman
    Great review! Thanks!
    Good article indeed. I've listened to one book on my Treo 600 from audible and liked it a lot, especially when there is nothing good on the radio in your car (need a stereo headset adapter and a car tape adapter unless you want to listen directly out of the Treo speaker).

One thing I tried once but didn't seem to work for me was to, once I downloaded the book from audible to my PC, transfer the two parts of the book (2 .aa files) to my SD card via the SD card reader built into my laptop.

When I tried it, the Audible player on my Treo didn't recognize the files, but when installed the files through the Audible Manager onto my SD card (inserted into my treo and connected via USB). it worked fine...could have been just a bad copy from my SD card reader to the card (I have problems with it sometimes) but didn't know if anyone else had tried something similar.

Wasn't a big fan of audio books before, but after purchasing and listening to one I may end up getting more..

Would be nice if they had more radio selections similar to Replay Radio (http://www.replay-radio.com/)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I've been an Audible member for a very long time now. Incredible how much quality content is available there. And this is coming from a former English teacher who used to laugh at the concept of "books on tape," until a one-hour commute in each direction to work changed his mind.

I usually play my books through my iPod, since I have several and would never be able to fit them all on an SD card. But I may have to try listening on the Treo, just for the heck of it.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo

Wasn't a big fan of audio books before, but after purchasing and listening to one I may end up getting more..
    Same here!!! I was almost upset with Audible's marketing department for having so inept at properly communicating the benefits of their service - had I known what I know today before I would have signed up ages ago!!! Seems like Audible is in the same camp as TiVo with a GREAT product/service but very poor at communicating and educating the market.

Cheers, W.
    I would love to have audible on my Treo but for some reason the connection with my desktop never works long enough to even activate the Treo. I guess I am back to iPod instead.
    I am an audiophile with audiobooks. Ripped audiobook CDs played very well on my Kyocera 7135 for 18 months. Having a device (Treo 600) that supports the Audible software is terrific.

After spending 90 minutes on the phone with technical support, I finally got it to work. AudibleManager is not compatible with PdaNet and the application is very tempermental. You may have to start and stop the app on the desktop and the Palm a few times to get files to transfer.

Once you get the files over, it plays very well.
  8.    #8  
    Beryl, glad to hear that it worked for you in the end - I also had some strange behaviour of the AudibleManager when I first got it started but since it's been a smooth ride.

On another note, I've also found that finding a book with the right narrator makes a huge difference. For example the one on 'Steve Job's Second Coming' had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion.

Cheers, W.
    Beryl,

Thanks. Persistence was the key. After three reboots and retries the Treo was finally activated and now I just use a card reader to load the files on to the SD card. Appreciate the time you spent with technical support.
  10.    #10  
    norcalredfire, thanks for the tip I didn't know that you could just use the card reader... I thought that the DRM would block this... cool one more easier way to listen to my Audibles...

Cheers, W.
    Just copy the files from the download directory to the card? Whoa. That is nice. I'll try that!
    Don't know if you can just move the file, I just pick Card Reader before I do the transfer in Audible Manager
    Ahhh. You transfer the file to the card while the card is in the phone using the software. That is different that what I was thinking.
    Beryl,

Don't know if your last post was a response to me, but I put the SD card into a USB Card reader and transfer the file to the SD card using Audible Manager - seems faster and less problems.
  15.    #15  
    norcalredfire ,

Thanks for the clarification. Gotcha now... I also thought that you could just use the card reader as plug-and-play without the Audible manager... thus my earlier comment about DRM... Still it is another option...

Cheers, W.
    Rats! Now I've gone and done it. I've officially joined audible and purchased a bunch of books. I've been an audiophile with a full library of audiobooks but now it is so easy to purchase, download and listen. Rats!

I bought a beginning Mandarin book to pick up a few phrases on my flight to Hong Kong along with a few fictional works. I sure hope the flight attendant doesn't tell me to put away my Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalredfire
    Beryl,

Don't know if your last post was a response to me, but I put the SD card into a USB Card reader and transfer the file to the SD card using Audible Manager - seems faster and less problems.
    this is what i do. but i did realize you got to have your treo hooked up and the audible program running on it to transfer it to the card in the reader. this is much faster too? and i love how even if you take the card out of the treo and put it back in later it still keeps your spot.

i'm working on listening to the Ender's Series right now. just finished "Ender's Game" and starting "Speaker for the Dead" this week. After those 4 books i'm going to listen to the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I got a lot of listening to do.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    I bought a beginning Mandarin book to pick up a few phrases on my flight to Hong Kong along with a few fictional works. I sure hope the flight attendant doesn't tell me to put away my Treo.

Beryl,

高興聽見, 您是享用可聽見! 希望, 您有超級時光在香港並且盼望聽見更多您的經驗當您回來。

Cheers, W.

BTW: You might like to know that we have now also developed a blog dedicated to all things Audible for the Treo at audible.treonauts.com

Last edited by wanderman; 08/30/2004 at 05:44 AM.
    Thanks Beryl. I was trying for nearly an hour, then found your post regarding pdanet. Now all works well.