Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I've tried most of the email solutions out there and nothing comes close. I want my treo to sync (with push) with my desktop outlook. Thus when I delete mail on my treo, I want it out of my inbox.

I want HTML support. Not the full graphics, but some decent RTF rendition like Basejet. Sprint BC doesn't handle this.

I want easy addressing. ie., type jsjsjs &$quot$;$spacebar$&$quot$; $and$ $have$ $it$ $expand$ $to$ $john$ $smith$ $or$ $show$ $me$ $the$ $closes$ $match$ $which$ $I$ $can$ $use$ $the$ $5$ $way$ $and$ $select$.

I want to dial from any phone number in the text message.

Nice, but not critical would be calendar and contact sync over the air.

I want fast intuitive message navigation with the 5 way.

I want buttons that can be used with a thumb instead of a pen (not that I would ever attempt to read email and drive )

Snappermail functionally fits the bill, but it is POP based, 75% of my outlook email comes through exchange server. I don't want a multi thousand dollar "corporate" solution for just my use...

BTW, almost all of the above Basejet did, but for some reason nobody bought enough of it for them to survive.

Suggestions?
    Mark F Chinsky
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    have you looked at Visto MessageXpress? Not sure if it does HTML though. Aileron's another. I know there's other desktop re-directors out there too, hopefully someone else can rattle them off.
    Personally I've only used BaseJet and BC. BaseJet was nice, when it actually worked. I prefer BC though despite the lack of attachment support and HTML.
    Visto doesn't do HTML, nor will it do auto-complete of the domain or mail-to recipient (and the last one is funky, since Visto's predecessor was TreoMail - the original one - and it would autocomplete the name and domain). Let's look at your total list:

I want my treo to sync (with push) with my desktop outlook. Thus when I delete mail on my treo, I want it out of my inbox.
    Visto: yep.
    I want HTML support. Not the full graphics, but some decent RTF rendition like Basejet. Sprint BC doesn't handle this.
    Visto: No HTML.
    I want easy addressing. ie., type jsjsjs &$quot$;$spacebar$&$quot$; $and$ $have$ $it$ $expand$ $to$ $john$ $smith$ $or$ $show$ $me$ $the$ $closes$ $match$ $which$ $I$ $can$ $use$ $the$ $5$ $way$ $and$ $select$.
    Visto: Nope. They have a nice lookup mode, but no automatic expand and select.
    I want to dial from any phone number in the text message.
    Visto: Yep.
    Nice, but not critical would be calendar and contact sync over the air.
    Visto: Calendar only. - well, this is really accept/edit new meeting requests, and put them into the core Palm calendar, and send back an 'Accepted' notice to the meeting organizer. Pretty good actually.
    I want fast intuitive message navigation with the 5 way.
    Visto: Pretty good UI all around, with the 5 way.
    I want buttons that can be used with a thumb instead of a pen (not that I would ever attempt to read email and drive )
    Visto: If you mean finger-based on-screen icon control, no. But they make good use of the 5 way, and I rarely if ever had to get out my stylus.
    Snappermail functionally fits the bill, but it is POP based, 75% of my outlook email comes through exchange server. I don't want a multi thousand dollar "corporate" solution for just my use...
    Visto: their redirector was always rock solid for me. Also their desktop filter function was a great way to limit unneeded messages from going over to the Treo. I tried them all - BC, Aileron, SEVEN's beta program, BaseJet, Infowave, Inbox To Go, etc. I liked Visto the best overall. (but on the 300, I liked TreoMail the best - it was even better than Visto, since the handspring folks made their own UI modifications to Visto's core code).

Good luck!!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    That was great feedback about Visto.

However:

Before they went Bellyup, why did you choose visto over basejet?

Does it push in the background like BC?

What didn't you like about the seven beta program?

Thanks
    Mark F Chinsky
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    nrosser, I saw something on Visto's website which was alluding to the fact that their product uses a true IP push, rather than SMS. Is this true?