Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm interested in checking my Corporate Outlook email. Unfortunately, we don't use Imap or Pop 3 Servers, only Exchange Servers.

I currently use Biz Con, but I travel and bring my laptop with me. My company doesn't work my email info on another computer.

Any suggestions?
    This page on the Palm One web site lists some of the options for e-mail. (Both business and personal.)
    I have the same problem. I use both BC and Inbox to Go Wireless from Dataviz. I prefer Inbox mainly because it has better ability to handle attachments (when combined with Docs to Go).

However you might have the same problem with Inbox you have with BC. Like BC it is not a server client, bet relies on you desktop to send mail to their server.

At one time I had Mergic VPN running to use pptp to get through our firewall, then did a remote hotsync. It was slow but it worked and might fix your problem.

Can you give me more info on what the problem of the travelling laptop is?

If you ever find a Treo Exchange client, please write me at danny.deger@earthlink.net.
  4.    #4  
    When I travel I don't have my laptop connected until I return to the hotel. This defeats my opportunity to check email on the road.
    I know it's not the best solution but while traveling you could forward you e-mail to a POP3 account and then use the mobile feature of Business Connection to check it.
    I have the same problem with the laptop, but Biz Con on the Treo works OK for me. Maybe our BC is a little different. Mine is the BC service from Sprint that costs an additional $5 a month. It communicates with my desktop so I can check my mail from my Treo. It sounds like you aren't quite this far along with your BC. What type of performance are you getting with your BC?

You can also try the Dataviz products for free, but I think you will end up spending about $100 for the combined Inbox Wireless and Docs to Go. A bit pricey, but they are good products and they have good support.

Hope this helps. Let us know what solution you find.
    ddeger,

I think what sascher18 is saying is that since he/she is using the Personal Edition, when he/she is on the road his/her laptop is not constantly connected to the interent, therefore Business Connection can not run true inbox syncing.

If your e-mail account is Pop3 you can still set up the mobile function and access your e-mail with Business Connection, however you are only sycing with the mail servers and not your real inbox.
    Thanks, you are right. I was thinking desktop was still at home doing it's thing while laptop was on travel. Not the case here. No desktop back home while on travel.

I can't think of anything but forward Exchange to a POP3 server somewhere. I wish someone would come up with an Exchange client for the Treo.
    Chatter works with MS Exchange...

-m
    And so does the Enterprise Edition of Business Connection right?
  11.    #11  
    unfortunately, without my company using POP3 or Imap, only option is not to take my laptop on the road when I travel.

Thank you for your insight on this topic.

steven
    Not really.

If you can get them to install one of the server based solutions for you you could still take your laptop with you and get mail as well.

Server Based E-Mail Solutions
    Am I to understand if I put Chatter on my Treo it will talk to the Exchange server at work and I will not have to leave my desktop on to get my work e-mail. Keep in mind my "company" (i.e. NASA) will not install one line of code on the server to help me out.
    IF your Exchange server has external access allowed via IMAP, then yes... Your treo will talk directly to the server, without use of a desktop redirector.

Marc
    unfortunately many IT folks won't open an IMAP port (much less POP) to Exchange.

what I'd suggest to sascher18 is that he consider leaving the laptop back at the office, connected, at that the Treo act as his remote connectivity to email. I've traveled many times for a few days, and had full work functionality, even with leaving the laptop behind. This general topic has been discussed many times, and for some folks leaving the PC behind isn't an option, but it may be for him, in this case.

Come on man - be bold and take that step!! Fly with just the Treo and you'll feel so liberated that you'll never go back. You can do it!
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    unfortunately many IT folks won't open an IMAP port (much less POP) to Exchange.

what I'd suggest to sascher18 is that he consider leaving the laptop back at the office, connected, at that the Treo act as his remote connectivity to email. I've traveled many times for a few days, and had full work functionality, even with leaving the laptop behind. This general topic has been discussed many times, and for some folks leaving the PC behind isn't an option, but it may be for him, in this case.

Come on man - be bold and take that step!! Fly with just the Treo and you'll feel so liberated that you'll never go back. You can do it!
    Ok, now you have my attention. I have the same problem, company uses Exchange in the office and we have no IMAP port or POP access into Exchange server. In your post you mentioned leaving the laptop online at the office connected to the network and still getting your email on it via the Treo. How does this process work? If I leave my laptop at my office connected to our intercompany LAN getting my email, now can I access my laptop on my desk with my Treo to get my email?
    Another option. Buy an old PC from someone who is upgrading. It doesn't need any software at all other than, say, Win98. We're talking about 50 - 100 bucks here. You might even get someone to give you one for free. Add the free BC software. Store the new (uh, old) PC under your desk until you need it. When you unplug your laptop to travel, connect the junky old PC to your network and make sure the BC software connects. It will then send all your e-mails to your Treo, and you can still have that laptop with you for hard core document work, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaHooska
    Another option. Buy an old PC from someone who is upgrading. It doesn't need any software at all other than, say, Win98. We're talking about 50 - 100 bucks here. You might even get someone to give you one for free. Add the free BC software. Store the new (uh, old) PC under your desk until you need it. When you unplug your laptop to travel, connect the junky old PC to your network and make sure the BC software connects. It will then send all your e-mails to your Treo, and you can still have that laptop with you for hard core document work, etc.
    I'm doing exactly what you describe. I've got a real beater, stripped down to it's barest essentials, sitting in the corner of my office. No monitor or mouse, just the box & a keyboard. The only reason I've got a keyboard is so it will boot up.

The only software I've got installed is the BCPE redirector, McAfee & pcAnywhere. This way, when the redirector snarfs (as it is wont to do), I can fire up my laptop from anywhere in the world, connect to the redirector computer via pcAnywhere & un-snarf the connection.

I can't yet do all this with the Treo - Movian's IPSEC-compatible VPN client doesn't work with the Treo yet. But when it does, I should be able to pair this with PalmVNC or WinHand & control the redirector from the Treo.

tdh
    Excellent thought on the pcAnywhere. I will try, although I don't know if it will get through our firewall.

I currently use a remote reboot (power on/off) box that ties to the phone line. When I call my office with the correct ring/hang up/ring sequence, it cycles the power on the machine for a reboot and auto-login. Unfortunately, an occasional caller reboots my machine.
    Our IT department enabled POP3 and IMAP when we went to the latest version of exchange. I already had Snappermail and it works fine with IMAP.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast