Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay. Let's put this to rest. What is the Best SD Card out there. I'm looking to buy a SD card. I've read all the reviews. There are a lot of responses. Give me a no bull answer. I need a reliable card that is priced well, with good memory. thanks
    I'm happy with my Kingmax 60x. Excellent speeds, and very cheap too- 256mb cost me just $34
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...155-256&depa=1
    i'm happy with lexar 128 MB. but don't buy from radioshack
    San Disk Ultra II 512 MB.

It's the fastest out there.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    So is this high speed card as fast and reliable as the Sandisk Ultra II. At $69 for a 512 high speed card, it's MUCH less expensive than the Sandisk.
    From the recent VFS thread:

SanDisk 512MB Ultra II: 292, 291 VFSmarks
    SanDisk 256: 244, 245
    Lexar 256: 243
    Panasonic 512: 231
    Panasonic 256: 237
    Dane-Elec 512: 211
    Transcend 45x 305
    Fuji Film: 234
    PQI 512: 236
    Kingmax 256: 243

As you can see, the SanDisk (and Transcend? I dunno, that VFSmark sounds fishy for a 45x card...) are about 20% faster than the other cards, which are all about the same speed, regardless of brand. However, the 512mb SanDisk Ultra II costs twice as much, too- $135, as opposed to about $70 for 512mb of any of the others. Whether it's worth twice as much for 20% faster speed is up to you! For my money, I'd go with the others.
    Panasonic for me, better than SanDisk II IMHO because the 2 that I had died. Panasonic has been going for more than 2 years
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I saw this on the NewEgg review of the KingMax 512mb SD card:

N/A,5/26/2004 12:06:23 PM

Buyer beware if you have a Treo 600 this card will get stuck in your Treo with no hope of getting it out. Of course you can pay to have it removed or just live with it being stuck. Support only offered to RMA the item and would not pay to have card removed. You get what you pay for so buy the name brand unless using for mp3 player.

I also use a SanDisk Ultra II 512mb and I have found that my Launcher's react faster, my programs open faster, All my sound recording issues went away when I upgraded to the Ultra II. I would have to say the 20% increase in speed is worthwhile if you are using the SD card for everyday use of programs and data. If all you want is to play MP3 files on the SD card then the speed is not a major concern. So yes the 20%+ speed increase of the card is also a 20%+ speed increase of everyday usage of the Treo 600 and that is worth the extra $$.

Also thenerds.net has the SanDisk Ultra II 512mb SD card for about $120. I have bought from them in the past and they are very good.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    so ppl. how much of a different have you noticed when say transfering movies from MovieRec to the card and things like saving pictures directly to the card. anyone have the opportunity to personally compare a sandisk ultra II and a trancend 1 gigger? the reason im wondering is i dont see a huge difference between my 256 meg standard (not high speed) sandisk card and the Transcend 45X 1 gig that i got today.

However..

my VFS mark btw for the transcend 45X was 230 which aggravetes me a lot because i got it instead of the Ultra II because of its high VFS mark that someone posted.... possibly a Transcend Rep..
    Last edited by wahili; 08/14/2004 at 06:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    so ppl. how much of a different have you noticed when say transfering movies from MovieRec to the card and things like saving pictures directly to the card. anyone have the opportunity to personally compare a sandisk ultra II and a trancend 1 gigger? the reason im wondering is i dont see a huge difference between my 256 meg standard (not high speed) sandisk card and the Transcend 45X 1 gig that i got today.

However..

my VFS mark btw for the transcend 45X was 230 which aggravetes me a lot because i got it instead of the Ultra II because of its high VFS mark that someone posted.... possibly a Transcend Rep..
    I agree. I also based my purchase of the Trancend card on most of the posts here. My VFS mark with trancend 45x 1G is also around 230 each time, and the Speed test takes 6 min + to complete. Not to mention each speed test for 32bit varies from 54 - 68 kbps vs. my ATP card which is contantly between 64 - 65kbps and VSF mark of 234 - 235. I was able to duplicate the high VFS marks on the Trancend by reinserting the card and running a test right after. But after a second test it goes back down.
  11.    #11  
    how do you do a speed test.

bought it from dell.com
    A0292254 512 MB Ultra II Secure Digital Card EA 116.06 116.06
    DISCOUNT(S) AND/OR COUPO

Ship. and/or Handling $0.00
    Subtotal $116.06
    Taxable: $116.06 Tax: $10.15
    Total $126.21
    VISA $126.21
    okay, but can the Treo actually use the faster card speeds? I mean, is the Treo's read/write speed lower then the that of the SD cards?

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    okay, but can the Treo actually use the faster card speeds? I mean, is the Treo's read/write speed lower then the that of the SD cards?
    I was wondering exactly that myself... based on my own test results there is effectively no difference between Lexar standard (4X) and Lexar high speed (32X) on my Treo.

ERic
    I hope the 650 supports higher speeds especially with the crack ridicols speeds that SanDisk and Panasonic are talking about in November

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Some of you are paying more for a 512 than I paid for a GIG!!! Why are you throwing your money away? Seems like the IGB cards are hovering around $90 now and possibly much lower if you find a good rebate.

I paid $89 for my Kingmax 60x 1GB from a thread I saw here and it is great. I play Pocket-tunes, Kinoma movies and store programs on it and not one skip.

Keep your eyes peeled for the deals! Sandisk is not the only good brand!
    Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    Some of you are paying more for a 512 than I paid for a GIG!!! Why are you throwing your money away? Seems like the IGB cards are hovering around $90 now and possibly much lower if you find a good rebate.

I paid $89 for my Kingmax 60x 1GB from a thread I saw here and it is great. I play Pocket-tunes, Kinoma movies and store programs on it and not one skip.

Keep your eyes peeled for the deals! Sandisk is not the only good brand!
    phildro, any chance you could run vfsmark et al and post the results on
    http://heller.ca/cgi-local/palm/cardspeed.cgi ? there's been som harsh words for the actual speed of the kingmax, but i'd like to see more real-world test results up at that site. the kingmax is one of the best buys out there in terms of price and purported speed - 60X - but if its performance really is as dismal as some claim, well then....
    Just bought one for about US$72 here in Singapore.

Thought I'd share the VFSMark results ... this is after a sync, so it isn't freshly formatted. I was too eager to fill it up

Lexar 1G SD (ref # SD1G-100M)
    File Create: 218%
    File Delete: 206%
    File Write: 53%
    File Read: 158%
    File Seek: 406%
    DB Export: 120%
    DB Import: 377%
    Record Access: 312%
    Resource Access: 300%

VFSMark: 238

With Card Speed, Wrt32bit=79b/sec, Wrt 8kb=94979b/sec, Read 8kb= 595781b/sec

Compared to my old HTL 256mb MMC
    File Create: 161%
    File Delete: 161%
    File Write: 40%
    File Read: 145%
    File Seek: 380%
    DB Export: 72%
    DB Import: 359%
    Record Access: 296%
    Resource Access: 286%

VFSMark: 211

With Card Speed, Wrt32bit=62b/sec, Wrt 8kb=70468b/sec, Read 8kb= 534987b/sec

I suspect that this is another one of those unpublicised 4X 1G Lexars...
    That said, I've had no problems playing MP3s from it.
    Last edited by TreojanHorse; 11/10/2004 at 01:17 AM.
    I just purchased my 1 GB Ultra II card from

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=353122&is=REG

I paid 93.95 + 3.70 shipping. I decided to go with the Sandisk Ultra II after reading that the palmone guy said that the Treo 650 will support the increased speeds of the Ultra II. I figured it might make a difference when playing videos.
    decided to give it the benefit of the doubt, the several posts criticizing it notwithstanding. it should arrive next week, i'll test it in my treo 600 and post to the SD benchmark results site, then if the phone-gods are smiling, i'll snag a treo 650 at my local sprint store late next week and post results for that as well. hoping maybe it'll work better in the 650.

if the test results suck as badly as the one result that's on the SD benchmark site, back it goes.

my cost, at newegg,
    Subtotal $70.50
    Tax $5.11
    Shipping and Handling $7.90
    Total $83.51
    How about the new Extreme card from Sandisk....

states it has a 18mb/sec read and write speeds...Its designed for digital cameras.....Does anyone think this would worl for the 650??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast