1.    #1  
    Ok,

I'm on my third Treo 600, and on each one this occurs. Occasionally, when you try to disconnect from the internet, it will hang for about 90 seconds until it resets the entire device (soft, not hard).

All of them were using 1.2. The first one didn't do it until I upgraded, the second two came with it (new).

I must not be the only Sprint (perhaps it is specific to Sprint?) user having this problem, and it is a big problem. Can Anyone help? Any Clues? Any official word?

Do not tell me I am just supposed to leave it connected forever.
    Don't have this problem on T-Mo (GSM)
    If I manually tell it to disconnect I have that same problem. If snappermail disconnects it (as long I don't touch anything) it will work fine... pretty strange if you asked me.
    so why disconnect?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    so why disconnect?
    I'm very particular about battery life. Whatever, I mean, I'm done with the Internet.

The point is, it should be my choice, NOT my device's limitation, that decides whether I should be connected or not.

Sprint Users, please let me know, does this happen to you? Do you not mind? What's going on,

Why is this very obvious (perhaps Sprint-Only) problem being ignored?
    Have you done any experiments to see how the battery usage varies with connection and with no connection?
  7.    #7  
    Hello...

Calling all Sprint Users! Where are you guys? Why does this not upset you?

Another problem is that after that soft reset, the Treo 600 Does Not recognize that it has an SD card in it, unless you reinsert it. So, come 3:30 when snappermail wants to archive, it won't, because it checks for email once an hour during the day and at least one of those checks, where it tries to disconnect afterwards will reset it.

Please post this. Hell, if you do not have an account, email me at:

*Edit*

and let me know if you feel this as well, and if there's anything that can be done. I demand that palmone release a new firmware upgrade for Sprint immediately.
    Last edited by g-funkster; 05/05/2008 at 12:14 PM.
  8. afr
    I'm assuming you mean disconnect from the Sprint phone network when you say disconnect from the Internet. Exiting the browser ends the session, and this is as easy as pressing the phone key or home key, which shouldn't hang your device. Turning the phone section off sometimes takes my phone longer than it used to before I got the 1.2 update, but if I really need to get the pda working when it hangs, I just soft reset it and go on -- no harm done. Sometimes the phone shuts off really fast, just like before.
    g-funkster,
    Which app are you in when it disconnects? I get a crash whenever I'm in yBasic and try to disconnect, but not in other apps. But I totally agree, this is a major nuisance that was not a problem before 1.2. A whole minute to disconnect is ridiculous. If it wasn't for the voice recording, I'd go back to the previous version if I could.

Afr, it turns off really fast only if the data connection is closed (no grey arrows). But disconnecting in the first place takes forever.
  10.    #10  
    I think I have a pretty good idea about when it happens. And yes, it only occurs to 1.2 devices, and possibly only Sprint, which had the first Treo, and is likely to receive the Treo ACE first.... I do not understand why they decided it was okay to give us loyal users the shaft with this unreliable firmware upgrade.

Most people know what I mean: when it is connected to data services (the service bars have the arrows above them). If the arrows are still there, you are still connected.

I know how to prevent it, and in case those schmucks at Palmone, or Handspring didn't pay enough attention, listen up: When the connection arrows are green, the data connection is active and awake. When the connection arrows are gray, the connection is active, but asleep.

The Reset occurs when you try to disconnect when the arrows are in their gray state. The certain way to override this, and i have become used to doing now, is to awake the data connection and disconnect while the arrows are still green. To do this, I usually go to WebPro and refresh the page. When it connects and starts to receive, I stop it and immediately go to Page->Disconnect. Better than waiting for two minutes for your phone to do nothing then reset itself, then reinsert your card.

A person mentioned that when their autocheck in Snappermail disconnects, it always works. That's because immediately after it downloads the message, the arrows will be green for a couple seconds longer, and thus the disconnect works.

There. Let's get this fixed
    I'm running 1.2, on Sprint, and I have never had the problem. I don't, often disconnect, but I have on occasion - including right now - and the problem hasn't occurred.

Dunc
    How are you disconnecting the data connection? I'd like to test this myself.
  13.    #13  
    Connect to the internet. Go to Preferences->Network and hit the connect button.

Do whatever. After a few minutes, disconnect. Make sure you disconnect when the arrows at the signal have gone gray. Try using page->disconnect in Webpro or in Snappermail [option]+i to disconnect. You may also use the disconnect button in Preferences->Network.

It's a little random, but it happens often enough to make me want to destroy it, especially when I hear other carriers don't have this problem.
    I don't have Webpro or Snappermail but I'll keep an eye out for this and see if I can get mine to reset.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Well, ever since updating to 1.2 I have the occasional problem of the device "freezing" for about a minute during the network disconnect (like probably all Sprint users on 1.2) but it definitely doesn't soft reset and never has.
    If this is happening to you, I'd strongly suspect some 3rd party software is to blame. This is not normal, and hasn't really been reported by anybody else that I've noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    Connect to the internet. Go to Preferences->Network and hit the connect button.

Do whatever. After a few minutes, disconnect. Make sure you disconnect when the arrows at the signal have gone gray. Try using page->disconnect in Webpro or in Snappermail [option]+i to disconnect. You may also use the disconnect button in Preferences->Network.

It's a little random, but it happens often enough to make me want to destroy it, especially when I hear other carriers don't have this problem.
    Does not reset mine. Works perfectly well (tried four times) - waited for gray arrows as you suggest. On my first Sprint T600 since Oct'03. Upgraded firmware last month.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    There's a slight pause for me, but no reset. I've been messing with it off and on all not and no resets at all.