1.    #1  
    I am planning to purchase the 600 or ace soon - however I would like to know how this works when your in an airplane? Can you turn of the phone but still access the other functions (game, music, ...)?
    Yeah but if anyone asks you just tell them it is a PDA and not a phone.....You'll save lots of hassles
    Orrrr....you can get into an argument with the stewardess at 35,000 feet and get shot by an air marshall or arressted on the ground.
    Your choice.
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    There are a few threads going on using a Treo on board an airplane.

While it is totally possible to turn off the radio function of the Treo and still access all of your other applications many airlines have been asking users not to use them at all. I think it varries from air line to air line. The stewardess seem to be scared by the sight of the antenna and can't except that you've turned the radio off.

On my last American Airlines flight I was asked not to use my Treo. I simply showed the stewardess that the radio was off and she allowed it.
    Last edited by lgreenberg; 08/13/2004 at 01:32 PM.
    I'm running my next marathon for charity.

Click here and help me by donating online.
    Yeah, I've flown United, American Airlines, and Southwest and never had a problem.
    i have used my treo 600 on loads of easyjet flights with no problems and only asked to turn it off once but when i showed her the wireless mode off she was fine with me useing it
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I'm a very frequent flyer on Northwest, United and Delta. Never had a problem. The only time a flight attendent said anything was: "Wow! is that a treo? Can I see it?"
    I actually started a Treo discussion group on a Northwest flight when several passengers noticed me using mine. There were several other corporate users and one of the flight attendants had one as well. Most had just gotten theirs so we all had a mutual beaming session and I directed all of them to this board, which amazingly they had never heard of before. I'm hoping they all became new members.
    My wife accuses me of being obsessed, I think this clinches it in my mind.
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
    I fly a lot all over the world. I just got the Treo about a month ago, and I was flying literaly around the world - Europe and Asia and back to the US. No issue anywhere and no one said anything except on a Singapore Airlines flight from Singapore to Hong Kong - I was asked not to use the Treo. Although, I explained that the telephone was turned off, the Stewardess would not accept this - I explained that several other airlines were much more modern about their aproach - but she did not buy it. I will now try to avoid Singapore Airlines, since there are other options, and I do not need this kind of hassle. By the way, the Treo worked great in all countries - including the data/email.
    I traveled on Malaysia Airlines last month, and the only thing I was asked was whether the device had a flight mode. I'm not sure what that is, but I explained that the phone module was switched off and that seemed to suffice.

Of course, use of ANY electronic devices during take-off and landing is strictly prohibited.
    Quote Originally Posted by koche005
    I'm a very frequent flyer on Northwest, United and Delta. Never had a problem. The only time a flight attendent said anything was: "Wow! is that a treo? Can I see it?"
    nerdy stewardess. nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by zactra
    I fly a lot all over the world. I just got the Treo about a month ago, and I was flying literaly around the world - Europe and Asia and back to the US. No issue anywhere and no one said anything except on a Singapore Airlines flight from Singapore to Hong Kong - I was asked not to use the Treo. Although, I explained that the telephone was turned off, the Stewardess would not accept this - I explained that several other airlines were much more modern about their aproach - but she did not buy it. I will now try to avoid Singapore Airlines, since there are other options, and I do not need this kind of hassle. By the way, the Treo worked great in all countries - including the data/email.
    I am a regular travellor with Singapore Airlines, and I also use treo extensively on flights for listening to music as well us for doing my work.. I travel mainly to US and to Europe from Asia.. at least once in a month.. I did not had any issues so far.. Once a stewardess asked me whether the mobile is switched on.. I told it is on flight mode.. Flight Mode means mobile is switched off only PDA functionalities are available.. She said ok.. that was it..
    I boarded a flight in San Francisco and was sitting waiting for everyone to board the plane. So I killed time by pulling out my Treo with it's Vaja case. The flight attendant looked at me and mumbled something really fast. I said "Huh??". She said, "oh! I thought that was a new Treo!". And she pulls out her own treo from her jacket pocket to show that she was also a Treo owner. I think she saw the Vaja case and thought it was the Treo Ace or something. To say the least, I wasn't bothered on the flight using my Treo to listen to music, play games, etc.
    Wow... flight attendants with Treo's!! Glad to see our beloved toy being so popular.
    So has anyone ever had an experience where they couldn't use their treo (except during landing and takeoff, cd players aren't even allowed)
    With all the flight attendants using Treo 600s, I guess those Treo ads at the airports are really paying off....
    I live in Los Angeles and I purposely bought a cameraphone-less treo 600 since it is becoming more and more common for Gyms, and particularly movie theatre screenings to ban camera phones. I just do not want to be told i can't have my phone with me for any reason. Plus i have the Nikon D70 which takes slightly better pictures. ;-)

Stevo