1.    #1  
    I posted the same message in the "Communications" Forum too since I wasn't sure where it is first likely to attract a response. Anyway here is the problem

May be I am doing something wrong but i can't download Word or Excell files with Blazer from sites that I am visiting.

Palmone support had the following to say
    ------
    You can download other file types with the help of third-party software. For example, if you install Documents To Go from DataViz, you will be able to download .doc (Microsoft Word) and .xls (Microsoft Excel) filetypes, and open them directly in Documents To Go on your Treo.
    Unquote
    --------

However I DO have Docs to Go installed which I use constantly to edit documents and spreadsheets. I tried out Webpro and it does allow me to download and save word/excell files which I can later open using docs to go.
    Is there some preference setting either in Blazer or Docs to go or System prefs that I need to do to inform Blazer that it is quite OK to download word/excell docs. To be sure I have looked everywhere for such a setting but not found any. But perhaps I have missed something.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Satish
    Satish Joshi
    Quote Originally Posted by smjoshi
    I posted the same message in the "Communications" Forum too since I wasn't sure where it is first likely to attract a response. Anyway here is the problem

May be I am doing something wrong but i can't download Word or Excell files with Blazer from sites that I am visiting.

Palmone support had the following to say
    ------
    You can download other file types with the help of third-party software. For example, if you install Documents To Go from DataViz, you will be able to download .doc (Microsoft Word) and .xls (Microsoft Excel) filetypes, and open them directly in Documents To Go on your Treo.
    Unquote
    --------

However I DO have Docs to Go installed which I use constantly to edit documents and spreadsheets. I tried out Webpro and it does allow me to download and save word/excell files which I can later open using docs to go.
    Is there some preference setting either in Blazer or Docs to go or System prefs that I need to do to inform Blazer that it is quite OK to download word/excell docs. To be sure I have looked everywhere for such a setting but not found any. But perhaps I have missed something.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Satish
    the apps should register the receive those files automatically. If they dont you can use Media Manager to register any file extension and have media manager receive the files and save it to the external card for you. eg: if you want to download .zip, .pfd then you can set the extension in media manager and everytime you download these files from the browser media manager will save them. you can get media manager from www.toysoft.ca
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Smiley88. I tried Media Manager but that does not help. Blazer refuses to let me download a Word file

Any idea where this information is registered? Perhap I can just edit those databases if only I knew what to edit.
    Satish Joshi
    What the DocsToGo reader software on a Treo 600 does is this:

It allows you to Open and read a DOC or XLS file. It does not technicaly download it for any other purpose such as storage on the SD card or RAM.

If you have DocsToGo full version however, that is what you can do.

e.g. Try this page:
    http://www.btre.gov.au/avstats/deppage.htm

Download one of the XLS files and at the end you will go straight into the DocsToGo viewer software if you choose to open the file.

If this does not work, you have probably not got the files SS_P2P.prc or WP_P2P.prc installed. These are silently installed when you install the Palm Desktop software for Treo 600. They are locatd in your add-on folder inside your Palm /Handspring folder in case you need to re-install them.
    Last edited by Poryphyron; 08/13/2004 at 02:28 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Poryphyron
    Thanks a lot. Using Blazer I can download, save and then open XLS files from the URL that you gave in your message. I do have full version of Docstogo and I verified that the SS_P2P.prc and WP_P2P.prc are also installed. But strangely, I still cannot do the same from the site from which I had been trying to download word files. It never occured to me to try out other sites before laying the blame on Blazer! I think I will talk to the administrators to find out what (if anything) have they done diffirently on their site. This is my mobile service provider's portal and surely there is one difference between your URL and this. This is a e-mail site and the word files that I had been trying to download come as attachments to the mail messages. For various reasons I prefer not to use POP3 to "download" using the built in mail client but read them through a browser.

Thanks again for your tips

Satish
    Satish Joshi