1.    #1  
    Has anyone had anyluck using the Treo & Apple's iSync? I'm thinking of getting a powerbook, but won't if I can't sync.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I have a TI PB G4 with OSX 10.3.5 and I use Palm Desktop to sync with my Verizon Treo 600 with no problems - ever. Part of the reason for no iSync is that I have never had iSync work correctly with any Palm device I have used, including Tungsten T & C. I have faithfully upgraded to each new version of iSync, reinstalled conduits, etc., without success. Also in the past iSync would not sync everything: calendar, to-dos, etc., and so I would have to use Palm Desktop to sync the one that iSync wouldn't anyway. Since I use DateBk5 on the Treo I like to see everything together amd Palm Desktop lets me do that.

Finally, I began using Palm Desktop with my very first Palm device several years ago and I have gotten used to how everything works and as long as it worked well for me I couldn't see going to something that had glitches. So probably I am a little bit set in my ways about the whole thing !!!

Frank
    I've been using iSync from day one with no problem. Used it first with the Treo 300 and now the 600 since 10/03.

see this post for all the Mac apps I use:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=54611
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Also just installed new version iSync 1.5 and it seems a lottle quicker!!
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I was wondering if the new iSync supports palm categories. Right now I have quite a few contacts and I use categories to organize them and this unsupported feeture is what's holding me back from using iSync.

I have looked all over the apple website ans I have not seen this feeture mentioned. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    I was wondering if the new iSync supports palm categories. Right now I have quite a few contacts and I use categories to organize them and this unsupported feeture is what's holding me back from using iSync.

I have looked all over the apple website ans I have not seen this feeture mentioned. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    The short answer is no. The reason is no support in iCal and AddressBook. iSync supports a mass number of non Palm phones. I still use categories on my Treo, but don't really need them on the desktop anyway.

Just to let you know I believe even if you go with Palm Desktop or Entourage you can still only sync 10 categories with the Mac.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    </body>
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    The lack of categories bugs me a bit, but it's no deal breaker. The nice thing is that while the categories don't sync with the groups in the address book or the separate calendars in iCal, at least they don't screw with each other. So if I move an event to a new calendar, for instance, it doesn't effect the Palm, and vice versa. So I just manually move the different events to their proper calendars and groups. Pain in the neck, but I like the address book app too much to use Palm Desktop. Plus, with iSync I can sync with everything else in my life, not just my Palm device. One ultimate list of all contacts and calendars - my vision of Utopia.

I downloaded 1.5 this morning, but I haven't synced yet. I hope imageone is right about the speed. That's by far my number one complaint about iSync. A sync that would take a minute or so on my PC at work can take up to 30 minutes or more on my PowerBook with iSync. Not all the time, but sometimes. And it never takes less than 7 minutes or so. Even if I've only changed one or two events between syncs. Which is ridiculous.

iSync was ultimately designed for cell phones and people who have maybe a hundred contacts or so and only a few events a week at most. Apple needs to concentrate more on Palm devices and power users who have thousands of contacts and dozens of events each week.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec
    I downloaded 1.5 this morning, but I haven't synced yet. I hope imageone is right about the speed. That's by far my number one complaint about iSync. A sync that would take a minute or so on my PC at work can take up to 30 minutes or more on my PowerBook with iSync. Not all the time, but sometimes. And it never takes less than 7 minutes or so. Even if I've only changed one or two events between syncs. Which is ridiculous.
    Remember I said "a little faster". It still needs a real speed boost. The only reason I can see that it's slower is that it is syncing with .mac, Treo and iPod (at least for me).
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    Remember I said "a little faster". It still needs a real speed boost. The only reason I can see that it's slower is that it is syncing with .mac, Treo and iPod (at least for me).
    I wonder whether Mark/Space's Missing Sync 4.0, which replaces the Palm HotSync Manager, is any faster than this.

I used iSync early on with my Motorola 722i, but quickly gave up on it because the process was so unbearably slow. I'm back to using my Palm IIIxe and phone separately, and only sync the Palm via Palm Desktop and Hotsync Manager. I use iSync only to sync my Safari bookmarks to .Mac.

I've wanted to get a Treo 600 ever since they were announced. But if synching via iSync is going to be so slow (7-30 minutes, yikes!), I will stick with Palm Desktop and Hotsync Manager or simply wait for the situation to improve.

Escher
    I have been using the Missing Sync 4 for a short while and even though it has some minor issues and some major (related to incompatible conduits), it is a LOT better than the Palm HotSync tool. Not only is it MUCH FASTER but it also gives you some additional features that are very useful. Also the new version of iSync is faster. On anther note, my biggest complaint about the Palm/Apple addressbook Sync is the limited capability to sync multiple address for a contact. Since the Palm does not recognize the WORK address, I have duplicated ALL my contacts that have a home and work address, so that way I can look up the address info correctly. If Palm would EVER fix this STUPID limitation, it would make the Palm a much nicer tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec

iSync was ultimately designed for cell phones and people who have maybe a hundred contacts or so and only a few events a week at most. Apple needs to concentrate more on Palm devices and power users who have thousands of contacts and dozens of events each week.
    I know I do not have thousands of contact but I do have quite a lot of events. I also do know that the speed of the computer that you are using DOES make a difference on how quickly you can sync. I also know AFTER purchasing Missing Sync 4 on how SLOW the Palm Hotsync conduit was. So maybe you can try Missing Sync and see if it improves your sync functions.

I use a G5 2ghz DP and with Palm's HotSync and Pre-iSync 1.5 I was able to sync my iPod, .mac and Palm with partial backup in about 3-4 min. (never really timed it so ball parking it). But now with isync 1.5, and missing Sync 4, and the ability to do a FULL backup this total time is around 2 min.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I'm using a PowerBook 17" 1.5 GHz G4 with a Gig of RAM in it. I'm also using Missing Sync 4.0. And the sync is still way slower than my cheap 3-year old Dell at work.

I wonder what it is specifically about my Treo that makes it this slow. If many of you are getting much faster syncs, I must have something in there that you don't.

I do use Datebk 5, with icons and color codes and such. Which adds little notes to each event. But that shouldn't be that big a deal.

The hold-up is definitely happening during the iSync, and definitely more in the calendar portion than in the contact.

Like I said, this even happens when I haven't changed much, or even anything. I can do two syncs in a row, and the second one still takes 7-10 minutes.

I'm syncing with .Mac, but not with an iPod. I may have to try disabling .Mac sync.

I tried 1.5, and it didn't seem any faster. Of course, the first sync it forced slow syncronization, as it should. So that's not a good indicator. I'm going to try a sync again today and see.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    I use iSync for the Address Book data, and Palm Desktop for the calendar. This is because iCal (which iSync would normally sync with) is pretty poor when printed. PD lets me print a decent calendar for use at home by the family.

It works just fine for me in this "split sync" mode. All I had to do was move the Datebook Conduit back from /Library/Application Support/Palm Hotsync/Disabled Conduits folder to .../Conduits.
    Have had great luck so far using isync and the treo. I use Missing Sync 4 and its great. One note that confused me for a bit, but finally figured out...when you want to sync click on the Hotsync icon on your treo not the missing sync icon. But I have had great luck with all of it