Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Folks:

There is a lengthy thread on this subject at:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=51446

However, the most important information extracted from this post for fixing this email problem, is found at:

http://www.snappermail.com/support/isp.cfm

This info, is not only applicable to snapper mail, but also the palmone standard mail that came with update 1.2.

The solution is setting your outbound smtp to your respective carrier's smtp server (ie Sprint, Verizon, ATT ect). The above link has info for most all ISP's.

I have earthlink inbound, and sprintpcs outbound.

pop.earthlink.net
    smtp.sprintpcs.com

Regards
    Airbus_jas-

I've just upgraded PDA's to the Treo 600 and have tried without success to establish the outbound mail from the Sprint Treo 600.

My POP3 account is through AT&T Worldnet. The Treo receives e-mails from AT&T just fine but will not send e-mails.

I've tried the solution you describe, as well as a bunch of other things. I've changed the account's Name, Server, and Advanced settings in the mail v 1.02a program; and I've tried changing passwords, server names, SSL check boxes, etc. Nothing seems to work. I went to the Sprint PCS web site and changed my vision/e-mail password to ensure I was using the correct one.

I was going to try snappermail, but now after reading a post that other users are having problems similar to this with snappermail, I'm wondering if this would work anyway.

Any solutions for a new guy would be appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by IFrancis
    Airbus_jas-

I've just upgraded PDA's to the Treo 600 and have tried without success to establish the outbound mail from the Sprint Treo 600.

My POP3 account is through AT&T Worldnet. The Treo receives e-mails from AT&T just fine but will not send e-mails.

I've tried the solution you describe, as well as a bunch of other things. I've changed the account's Name, Server, and Advanced settings in the mail v 1.02a program; and I've tried changing passwords, server names, SSL check boxes, etc. Nothing seems to work. I went to the Sprint PCS web site and changed my vision/e-mail password to ensure I was using the correct one.

I was going to try snappermail, but now after reading a post that other users are having problems similar to this with snappermail, I'm wondering if this would work anyway.

Any solutions for a new guy would be appreciated!
    Can you log into the SprintPCS website via a PC and check your SprintPCS email (from the main PCS page, after loggin in, clickon PCSmail under "My Online Tools". It's on the right side)? If not, you have other issues to fix first.
    If so, then click on "Settings and Preferences, under the PCSmail area on the left side of the screen.
    Then you should be in the Settings and Preferences area for PCS MAIL.
    Click on "Setup" in the middle of the page and assgin a PCS email password.

The password HAS TO BE AT LEAST SIX characters long. Even if your current password to log into the site is 6 or more, you still have to enter one. If the current password is 6 or more characters, then use that in the "New Password" filed and then confirm.

Go thru the rest of the setup, you can assign alerts and such too.

REMEMBER THIS passoword and use it for the outgoing SMTP server password and use your login name. it the one before the @sprintPCS.com

If your PCS email address is IFrancis@SprintPCS.com then it's IFrancis for the user name when you setup Snappermail.

Let me know if this works.
    This is the biggest issue with the SprintPCS email setup from the TREO.
    Even some of the people that work at Sprint stores don't know, I have heard of them making people do Hard Resets to "FIX" this and all it does if erase their data and the email still will not send.

I would start with setting up your PCS email on your treo first, then work on the AT&T.

I use the PCS email for friends only and tell them to NEVER give it out. So anytime I get an email on that account, I have it set to send me an alert stating I have email and to check it. KINDA NICE!

Good luck
    Success!! It works! Thanks for the help!

After wasting the whole day troubleshooting this, it's nice to have the solution. I need a drink!

One additonal thing I had to do to get this to work with the server smtp.sprintpcs.com was to uncheck the "SSL required for SMTP" checkbox under the advanced tab.

I'll skip trying to get the AT&T server to work for now.

Thanks again Burkhardi!
    No problem!
    Great, now that the SprintPCS email works via your Treo600, getting the AT&T should be a breeze. Enjoy the cold one, and try AT&T tommorrow. On the AT&T, remember, you use your AT&T login name and password for the incoming POP3AT&T and use your Sprintlogin name and password for the outgoing STMP.
    So since your AT&T works for outgoing already, just go edit that accoiunt and change the outgoing SMTP to the SPrint stuff.

I got this post tagged to SMS me, so respond to this post tommorrow if you need help and I'll try to reply ASAP and see if I can be of any help.

Glad to know you at least got the PCS account going. I assume on the OE mail client that came with the Treo and not Snappermail?

Enjoy that cold one and we'll catch up tommorrow.
    Matt
    It worked for me. thanks
    I am using eudora and the smtp and pop settings desribed above work. If u are having an issue with email do what that link says and use eudora for the palm.
    Do you think this would be a heplful FAQ for me to write up?
    I got it to work using the AT&T POP3 server for receiving e-mails, and using the SprintPCS SMTP server for sending e-mails. The Treo 600 is so cool!! (I just upgraded from a Handspring Platinum)

I definitely think a FAQ file would be helpful. In the course of searching for an answer I was all over the web today: FAQ files, user forums, help links for PalmOne, AT&T Worldnet, Sprint, Google, etc. Found lots of people with the similar problem, but no solutions.

Thanks Again!
    Awsome! Email away..
    Are you familuar with alerts and such?
    I seem to be having the same problem as I Francis in that I can receive e-mails from my POP3 optimum on line server and road runner accounts but not send e-mail. I'll try the suggestions with Sprint see if it works with Verizon. Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Martin
    just use the Verizon settings for your SMTP and set your Verizon email up (If that applies?, I am a Sprint owners, sorrry)
    From Snappermail...
    SMTP Server: smtp.vzwmail.net
    Username: [your 10-digit cellphone number followed by @vzwmail.net]
    Password: [your password that you set up on the vtext.com webpage]
    This just has not worked for me. I'm able to receive mail, but only send sporatically. For some reason I keep getting authentication errors when trying to send using the Verizon SMTP settings as described. VeriZon Data Services rep spent about 30-45 min on the phone with me last night and couldn't explain it. His recommendation was to use the wireless sync to get/send e-mail. I like the idea, but think it's a crummy ap. Too slow, lacks features and horrible documentation, which they say is why their customer service reps are swamped with calls.
    Thanks you guys are great. Works fine now. Had problem originally with reconfiguring the Verizon server and password. Now I just need to link the various POP3 mail accounts with my HOTMAIL because I had previously been using my HOTMAIL account for all my communications. I understand that fusemail and chatter mail work well. Is that right?

Regards,
    Martin
    BDLIEB: I tried using Verizon's Wireless Sync to no avail. But I have had success, so far using the Snapper version 2.0 Beta by first establishing a POP 3 e-mail account. Then you have to change the settings on your TREO so that your TREO recognizes the settings on the POP3 e-mail account. You do this by following the instructions above and linking to the Verizon Wireless page for the appropriate settings to use. Good Luck.

Regards,

Martin
    I had a similar problem with my Treo 600 and Earthlink. It turns out with Earthlink I had to use a different smtp server name from my Treo than from home (smtpauth.earthlink.net vs. smtp.earthlink.net). Maybe your ISP has the same setup.

Also I couldn't get Euduro to work at all on the Treo. I tried Snapper for free, it worked, so I bought it. It is a good email client and they have excellent support.
    None of any of these suggestions work for me. I am on sprint; neither sprint nor earthlink (mindspring) work for me in an infinite number of possible combinations following all the info above. I am, on the other hand, using this new chatter email app, which receives great, but simply cannot send on any of my possibilities (my isp, earthlink/mindspring or sprintpcs). What's this all about? Quite a hassle.... got to go to Blazer, log into my webmail to send, if there is something chatter brings to me that needs an immediate response.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    None of any of these suggestions work for me. I am on sprint; neither sprint nor earthlink (mindspring) work for me in an infinite number of possible combinations following all the info above. I am, on the other hand, using this new chatter email app, which receives great, but simply cannot send on any of my possibilities (my isp, earthlink/mindspring or sprintpcs). What's this all about? Quite a hassle.... got to go to Blazer, log into my webmail to send, if there is something chatter brings to me that needs an immediate response.
    Can you log into the SprintPCS site from a PC and check your PCS mail?
    mdavis, do you know the name of the smtp server at Mindspring? Is it smtpauth.mindspring.com? Unfortunately the support page at Snapper doesn't list it. If you haven't called Mindspring to find out, I suggest you do this. As ddeger found out, Earthlink (and many other ISP's) require you to use a different (independently authorized) smtp server if you try access your outgoing e-mail account from outside of their domain (as you are trying to do with your Treo).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast