1.    #1  
    Hello everyone, I just released a new version 0.7.5 of Profeo SA.

The new version has the following features:
    1. A new tabbed setup interface to accomodate more options.
    2. An option to disable the standard PalmOS low battery warning (v0.6 had only the option to trap it).
    3. A CardKeeper-like alarm, implemented with the standard Attention Manager interface. The alarm will be triggered when the SD card is ejected and can be disabled either by pressing OK or by simply inserting the card back.
    4. This version checks for alarm trigger conditions in more "real-time" mode - every time when you switch to a new application, it will check all user alarm trigger conditions.

Version 0.7 can be installed directly over 0.6 and it will import your previous settings. Please note that this is a beta release and there might be some issues with the new functions.

Note that it also has several additional alarm options, which are not implemented yet, but the setup controls for them are available. I did this to show you where the program is heading and to receive early feedback on these features.
    In particular, these unimplemented options are:
    1. Option to make all alarms silent during specific times (e.g., night)
    2. A HotSync reminder alarm, which can be set to remind you to HotSync every day at given time with option to tap GoTo to start the hotsync process.
    3. RadioOff and MuteOn alarms, which will periodicaly remind you about the respective condition on your Treo.

Please enjoy the new version responsibly. As always, all comments, suggestions, feature requests, and donations are very welcome.
    Last edited by nachon; 08/12/2004 at 01:40 AM. Reason: new version released
    Did you use Profeo today ?
    awesome update Nachon!
  3.    #3  
    thanks, glad you like it.

FYI, there is one reported issue - when you press goto in the Attention Manager dialog it may trigger HotSync instead of going to Profeo. This is due to some test code, which I have forgotten to remove, I will fix later today.
  4.    #4  
    I just uploaded version 0.7.5 with the following changes:

- fixed GoTo button behavior
    The GoTo button will not initiate HotSync, but will have the expected behavior.

- added larger CardKeeper repeat times
    It is now possible to set the program to repeat the CardKeeper alarm up to 250 times.

- added silent period, during which no user alarms will be shown
    If the silent period is enabled, then during this time the user alarms will not popup. The system alarms will still be executed.

- added option to disable the real-time trigger checks
    In 0.7 I introduced the functionality to check for alarm triggers on every application switch. While the functionality is tested and doesn't cause any problems on my Treo, you now have the option to disable it.

Please enjoy the new version responsibly. As always, all comments, suggestions, feature requests and donations are very welcome.
    Last edited by nachon; 08/12/2004 at 01:55 AM.
  5.    #5  
    I just uploaded version 0.7.6 of Profeo SystemAlarms. The only change in this version is that it addresses (somewhat) rengelman's suggestion to provide unlimited alarm period for the CardKeeper alarm (in 0.7-0.7.5 it was in the few minutes range).

I went through the least resistance path, thus, version 0.7.6 changes the CK number of repeat times into duration, e.g., the alarm now can be played every 2-60 seconds for 1-240 minutes (4 hours). I believe that even though it is not umlinited time, 4 hours is long enough period to be alarmed and if you don't see the alarm for 4 hours, then you don't realy care about it anyway.

Also, this seems to be a more natural way to specify the alarm and it saves me a lot of trouble to change the preferences without forcing everyone to reconfigure Profeo SA. Now you only have to adjust this value instead of everything.

Please enjoy responsibly (especially the low battery alarm!). Your feedback, suggestions, feature requests and occasional donations are very welcome.
    Nice job on this utility! I would like to again put my vote in to add functionality to the hotsync utility. I would like the option of having automatic, unattended hotsyncing when a power supply is detected. If the option is enabled and the cradle/external power is detected, a popup window would be displayed that would allow you to cancel the hotsync (for those times you are not connected to a PC). If you do not cancel, within say 10 seconds, the hotsync would automatically begin. This is the functionality of the shareware program "autosync v1.6" from RGPS (http://www.rgps.com).

Another "nice-to-have" would be an enhancement ot the card keeper alarm. It is great to know when the card is ejected but it would also be nice to know when the card is not recognized. You know the times when the card is in the Treo but is not usable. A sample implementation might be to scan for a "known" file on the card. If it is not found, then the card needs to be ejected and reinserted. Thoughts????

I am all for the reduction of misc utilities so the number of conflicts can be reduced/eliminated. So far, Profeo SA will/can eliminate:

Card Keeper
    Autosync
    SoundOff

Keep up the good work!!!!

BTW:

What does the option "Prevent switch to card", in the Special tab, do?
    Last edited by jeffgibson; 08/13/2004 at 11:33 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Nice job on this utility! I would like to again put my vote in to add functionality to the hotsync utility. I would like the option of having automatic, unattended hotsyncing when a power supply is detected. If the option is enabled and the cradle/external power is detected, a popup window would be displayed that would allow you to cancel the hotsync (for those times you are not connected to a PC). If you do not cancel, within say 10 seconds, the hotsync would automatically begin. This is the functionality of the shareware program "autosync v1.6" from RGPS (http://www.rgps.com).
    Jeff, I am glad you like it. Regarding the unattended HotSync, first I will finish the HotSync by alarm functionality, for which the user interface is currently implemented in Profeo SA. After that I will see how to add the unattended HotSync.

Another "nice-to-have" would be an enhancement ot the card keeper alarm. It is great to know when the card is ejected but it would also be nice to know when the card is not recognized. You know the times when the card is in the Treo but is not usable. A sample implementation might be to scan for a "known" file on the card. If it is not found, then the card needs to be ejected and reinserted. Thoughts????
    Hmm, to tell you the truth, I have not experienced this problem. Thus, I am not sure how can I detect it. I will look around to see if I can find information and will play with my card somewhat.

I am all for the reduction of misc utilities so the number of conflicts can be reduced/eliminated. So far, Profeo SA will/can eliminate:

Card Keeper
    Autosync
    SoundOff

Keep up the good work!!!!
    Well, perhaps it can not replace them yet, as 2 of these functions are not implemented yet. The reduction is good thing, but quite often a specialized program might be more flexible, so it is always a tradeoff.

BTW:

What does the option "Prevent switch to card", in the Special tab, do?
    If the option is checked, then Treo will not switch to the SD card when you insert it. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $this$ $works$ $in$ $all$ $application$ $except$ $the$ $default$ $launcher$, $which$ $ignores$ $the$ $OS$ $indication$ $not$ $to$ $switch$ $to$ $the$ $card$. $I$ $hope$ $this$ $makes$ $sense$, $if$ $not$ - $then$ $just$ $try$ $to$ $insert$ $the$ $SD$ $card$ $while$ $you$ $are$ $in$ $hte$ $phone$ $application$ $and$ $the$ $option$ $is$ $disabled$ $and$ $do$ $the$ $same$ $when$ $the$ $option$ $is$ $enabled$.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I agree! I run into this situation more often than the card being ejected. An alarm to recognize this condition would be fantastic!!

Nachon, your Profeo family of apps continues to impress. Keep up the great work and THANKS.

Ed
    The audible alarm can drive you crazy if you don't change some of the settings. Otherwise a good application to have.

As a replacement for soundoff, I'm not so sure. Isn't the reason for having sound off is to inform you quietly that the sound is switched off. This program will give you an audible alert which basicly negates having the sound off in my opinion.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient_One
    The audible alarm can drive you crazy if you don't change some of the settings. Otherwise a good application to have.
    Ancient_One, can you tell me which is the audible alarm that drives you crazy ? Do you mean the CardKeeper alarm ? If so, I have explicitly programmed it to use the maximum volume level, but there is no problem to make this optional. Or perhaps I can add an option, which will start with the alarm without sound and the sound will be turned on if the alarm is not acknowledged for a given time.
    For all other alarms, the program uses the default volume.

As a replacement for soundoff, I'm not so sure. Isn't the reason for having sound off is to inform you quietly that the sound is switched off. This program will give you an audible alert which basicly negates having the sound off in my opinion.
    Hmm, I am sorry to say, but you are kinda wrong about this. When you have muted the Treo with the mute switch, no sounds will play from the speaker, even if I wanted to. The MuteOn alarm, which I am implementing, will do exactly what you are saying - periodically inform you quietly that the sound is off and, if you decide so, it will also vibrate.

If you look at the program settings, you will notice that for all alarms the audible and vibration alerts are optional, so you can have Profeo SA completely silent.

I hope this clarifies my ideas. Please feel free to make any suggestions or feature requests - I am always listening to what people have to say.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by limoman
    I agree! I run into this situation more often than the card being ejected. An alarm to recognize this condition would be fantastic!!

Nachon, your Profeo family of apps continues to impress. Keep up the great work and THANKS.

Ed
    Ed, thank you! It is good to hear form you.

Regarding the alarm for unrecognized card - I realy have no idea how to approach it, because it has never happened to me. If I figure out how and when does this happen, then I will gladly add it. May be I have to get another SD card and try with it ...
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nachon
    Regarding the alarm for unrecognized card - I really have no idea how to approach it, because it has never happened to me.
    Does jeffgibson's idea "to scan for a 'known' file on the card" work? I don't know what would be involved to make this happen or if it's even possible.

Anyway, I've happily made another donation via your web site to support your ongoing efforts. I use your apps and want to show my appreciation. I hope others do as well.

Thanks.
  13.    #13  
    Ed, thanks - you were the first to support me with a donation, so I realy appreciate the second time.

Regarding the "scan for a known file" idea - most probably it should be easy to implement or there might be other solutions. The problem I have, is that I am not sure if Treo generates any notifications at all when it doesn't recognize the card. Can someone describe to me in more details what happens when the card is not recognized - does Treo play the card insert sound ? Does it switch to the card and the card seems to be empty ? Does it show any error message ? All help with this is appreciated, because I have never had such problem.

Thanks again,
    Natcho
    The only time I have seen the card not recognized is after a reset. It would be better to simply mount the card after a reset through software. IIRC it is possible but I suspect its a hardware issue since the Treo usually mounts it all by itself.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Can someone describe to me in more details what happens when the card is not recognized - does Treo play the card insert sound ? Does it switch to the card and the card seems to be empty ? Does it show any error message ? All help with this is appreciated, because I have never had such problem.
    I use ZLauncher and have it configured to display available space on the card. When this issue occurs, instead of displaying something like 224MB, it will display -- . When in this state, it is as if I have no card installed. I need to pop the card out and back in, in order for it be recognized again.

It doesn't seem to happen at any particular time. I usually notice it when a default ringtone plays in place of a configured ringtone installed on the card.

Plus, the problem seems sporadic. Sometimes it won't happen for a while (maybe a week or two), other times, it can happen 3 or 4 times over a 48 hour period. I have not been able to determine any pattern in when this will occur.

Hope this info helps some.
    Quote Originally Posted by limoman
    I use ZLauncher and have it configured to display available space on the card. When this issue occurs, instead of displaying something like 224MB, it will display -- . When in this state, it is as if I have no card installed. I need to pop the card out and back in, in order for it be recognized again.

It doesn't seem to happen at any particular time. I usually notice it when a default ringtone plays in place of a configured ringtone installed on the card.

Plus, the problem seems sporadic. Sometimes it won't happen for a while (maybe a week or two), other times, it can happen 3 or 4 times over a 48 hour period. I have not been able to determine any pattern in when this will occur.

Hope this info helps some.
    That's exactly what happens to me as well. For me there is no alerts or notifications from the Palm OS what so ever when the card is not recognized. It is as if the card is not in the machine at all. I also use Zlauncher but if you use the default launcher, the card will not be displayed in the category drop down list even though the card is physically in the phone.
  17.    #17  
    OK, now I can understand the issue better and I have an idea what might be a possible solution. Another clarification - does this happen to everyone only after reset or does it happen after you have used the card successfully for some time ?
    OK, now I can understand the issue better and I have an idea what might be a possible solution. Another clarification - does this happen to everyone only after reset or does it happen after you have used the card successfully for some time ?
    I believe it has happened during normal use but can not be absolutely certain. I do know for sure it happens after resets. I can tell you that at times I look and find the card is not recognized. Can't tell you if the phone reset itself without me knowing about it or if the card just disappeared.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I believe it has happened during normal use but can not be absolutely certain. I do know for sure it happens after resets. I can tell you that at times I look and find the card is not recognized. Can't tell you if the phone reset itself without me knowing about it or if the card just disappeared.
    I second this. Doesn't seem to be a pattern to when it stops being recognized. But I do know that the failure usually happens at some point after the card was "working" or recognized.