1.    #1  
    Since I ditched the Psion 5mx a few years back and commited to the Palm platform, I have found myself mostly dissatisfied with data input on my PDAs. Grafiti is sub-par, folding keyboards are an extra item to carry, FITALY must be learned, etc....

Any of you feel this way? Has the 600's thumbboard rivaled the input of the 5mx?

Anyone done any words per minute measurements on the 600?
    Yep, I was a Psion user for years.

I think you'll find nothing comes close to the functionality and design of the Psion 5. Palm OS has a long long way to go as does EPOC 7 (which I've never understood as it was supposed to be the successor).
    Quote Originally Posted by joej
    Since I ditched the Psion 5mx a few years back and commited to the Palm platform, I have found myself mostly dissatisfied with data input on my PDAs. Grafiti is sub-par, folding keyboards are an extra item to carry, FITALY must be learned, etc....

Any of you feel this way? Has the 600's thumbboard rivaled the input of the 5mx?

Anyone done any words per minute measurements on the 600?
    I was a Psion 3 then a Psion 5mx user. The Psion keyboard is about 6 times the size of the Treo keyboard, so clearly data entry was faster on the Psion. But when you think about it most people (myself included) don't need to be writing a 10,000 word university thesis on a handheld device. They are generally used for jotting down contacts, meetings, short memos and short emails or text messages. For this I find you don't need a large keyboard.
    In fact I found the large keyboard of the Psion made it impossible to use my device with one hand (e.g. when in the subway for example).
    For a device that is meant to be used "on the move" the treo is much more appropriate and portable.
    I had 2 Psion 5's and a Psion 3 and a Nokia 9290. The keyboard for the 600 is limiting. It does not work as well. I do answer emails well, but I like to type more. I bought the infrared keyboard and it works great for me. I could type about 20 words a minute on the Psion's but only half with the 600. Get a keyboard if you have a 600. The ease of carrying is the plus for the 600 and it is easier to get online. I use Steve Litchfields site all the time for Psion updates.

cooldoc
    I came from Psion 3, 3a, 5 and have found that the Treo comes the closest of the things out there to the functionality that my Psion's had almost 10 years ago and the connectivity is nice. I tried a couple of PPC's and HPC's before I finally found the Treo.

I'm very happy with it and love the battery life of the Treo...it's not 3'ish, but it'll at least make it a full day of VERY hard usage. (unlike any of PPC's I've tried).
    I too was a 3a, 5, 5mx user. I loved that I could do some article writing on the wonderful keyboard, and was eager to get the Treo 300/600 the day each came out.

I'm curious, what's the best foldable keyboard for the Treo 600?

Regards,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    I had a Psion 5 a few years back and it was a great idea but not actually that practical, as it needs a flat surface or two hands (one to hold the other to type) to be usable. But all too often you'd only have one free. The treo while in theory less ergonomic is actually more useful as you can (say) enter a diary appointment one handed while in the pub or in the corridors between meetings.

After the Psion I had a series of Palms and got the foldable keyboard, which is a beautiful piece of engineering. But again only really used it a few times - for that amount of data entry its better to use a laptop.
    Oh, I miss my Psion. Had a 3, then a 3a and then the 5mx. I do not know if it was better, more a matter of first love. The Psion was never a phone, could not do e-mail, get on the web, etc. The keyboard was a two edge sword. Some things it did better, but not everything.

But I do miss it. I work in an organization where we all needed to be on the same platform. We picked Palm because of the third party programs.