Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There are several posts that talk about push mail and imap. I recently posted to one asking a guy how to create a mail filter in whatever type of system he was using. I have mail filters on my server but for some reason my filters were failing to save via html. My friend told me I should edit the mailfilter.conf file via a unix shell. I ventured with that until I realized a simpler way using information from the various posts around TC. And as a second reason, just to show all the unaware that they can get true push email.

1. Setup the site from which you normally get all your email from to forward your mail to your phones email gateway. Sprint uses *@messaging.sprintpcs.com. Make sure that you also check a box to keep a copy on the server. If you can't do this, well I don't know what else to say but use another mail program. I recommend mail toaster by matt simerson@the network people inc., google it.

2. Setup Snapper or whatever mail client you use to only check manually.

3. Download Treo Helper. http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/ Go OpenSource! Everyone take a moment to thank Marc Blank, Tim Brown, Chris Faherty, and Alan Penner.....right now!

4. Setup Treo Helper to do whatver you like and then select sms to create rules for your email. I have mine set to all sms that contain @ and then to open snapper, vibrate and delete.

5. Send yourself an email or have your friend do it. Your Treo should stay sound alseep and then Snapper or your client will wake, fetch mail and tell you what you got! Simple amazing.
    I am actually still testing this a bit but any help completing this mission would be great. I must have a perfect push mail solution.....just have to.
    Last edited by ProDucer; 08/10/2004 at 05:04 AM.
    That would be truly awesome.... but my Sprint Vision plan allows for only 100 free SMS messages per month. I'll have to settle for my e-mail every 1/2 hour.

That's a very creative solution, though!
    Is this really Pushed mail, or is it mail polling (with various email being forwarded to the polled address)?

You thanked Marc Blank - he is the developer of Chatter (a true "Push" email solution). IMHO Chatter is the "killer app" for the Treo- gives us Treo owners the communications capability that the Blackberry users have had for awahilw now.
    Thanks ProDucer! All I wanted was to get an SMS whenever I received an email at my comcast address as I do with Hotmail, so that I can then go to my preferred email app to read it. Wasn't really thinking about doing it until I read this post. I knew it was possible, just never got into it. Works like a charm.
  5.    #5  
    I have paid for chatter and as great a job as it does the main problem I have with it, is that its constantly on and draning my battery also, the buddy list support is intolerable (don't know if that's been changed yet) I know there are plenty of others on this site that will agree with me on the limitations of chatter not to mention its been beaten to death that its pretty dang buggy and its drains your battery pretty darn fast. You'd think I'd keep using a program that I have paid for, right? I don't know, chatter just doesn't do it for me and after testing this solution out, I really can't imagine it any better except Snapper's imap solution which I have yet to play with.
    And yes, my solution is considered true push mail, as soon as the mail shows up on my server I get sent a sms, there really isn't much of a delay there but after that yes I guess you could call snapper starting to recieve the mail polling. With this solution it doesn't drain my battery staying connected via chatter or making my treo bug out and crash due to that. My old setup used snapper to check every hour and see if messages are there. Now if I get an email, I get told about it. If this way of getting mail was a girl, I would marry it! Sorry I'm just too excited how perfectly this works. And it may not be for everyone but, IMHO there is nothing better .
    Hey Bujin, you need to call Sprint about that cuz you should have unlimited sms with any vision plan and if you don't tell them you deserve it since you have a phone that actually can do sms. Try the retention line on sprintpcsinfo.com.
    Last edited by ProDucer; 08/10/2004 at 11:34 AM.
    Just noticed now that when receiving emails, I don't even have to go into my email app to read it because it shows me the body of the email in the SMS. Now, I only have to go into my email app to reply when mobile. Thanks again ProDucer.
    Hey producer this whole idea sounds very similar to my idea on this post, Tom's Pushmail Solution , and i posted it on the 4th. BTW my solution doesn't send the whole e-mail to sprints messaging gateway, instead it only sends the subject line to cut down on bandwidth waste and make it quicker in getting the final message to u in snapper.

I realize that my way might not be the most simplistic way buy i believe that i am owed some credit for the idea and a workable solution in most cases. And I do not count a guy as credit.
    Last edited by doothedeww; 08/10/2004 at 12:37 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Yes, I would definately give you credit here, you actually gave me the idea, I think. You were the one using a mail filter rule or something, a script. I couldn't figure out my mail filter scripts on my server.....its very cumbersome. But I would like to it your way actually. I replied to that post asking for info on your script but I lost the thread and couldn't find it again using search. I was merely making this post for those who needed a simple solution and hopes that you would reply (really) so I could get info on this script. Using a script that only sends the subject and sender info to your sms email gateway address saves plenty and will work for GSM users because if you send the whole message, they get the whole message via multiple sms messages. I am using free bsd and the name of the program which does my mail filtering is mail drop. I have been looking over the man files and its pretty difficult, I was hoping maybe doothedeww could post the script he made so that we could all use it or adapt it to different mail server setups.
  9.    #9  
    nevermind, a script was posted to that thread. Sorry for the sort of repost but I was explaining this to my friends and they didn't get it, I thought it may be helpful to remind the rest of the community since loads are overlooked here at times. Definately check out Tom's push mail solution.....I tried to give credit at first but didn't know where it was or who posted. Thanks Tom!
    Sorry for being rude, im not quite too sure on how this script could be adapted to other mail servers. It is just a regular mailbox script that gets executed every time a message comes into that mail box. BTW I am using FTgate as my mail server.

If anyone wants to use my solution but doesn't have the capability to add a mailbox script to their mail server please let me know. I should be able to fit a few people on there no problem. Possibly I could talk to a tc admin about setting up accounts on my server like user@treocentral.com with the sms notification that could be used to fetch mail via treohelper. Right now it would be on my domain at tj-networks.com. Since i think getting treocentral.com to let me use their domain because of their online store suggestions are welcome for a domain that would be short and still have a treo sound to it.
    Last edited by doothedeww; 08/10/2004 at 01:03 PM.
  11.    #11  
    No harm. I guess I should have searched some more but I really couldn't find your thread and it wasa little upsetting cuz I thought it would be a more popular thread.
    That would be really cool to add the script to your server if you can handle it. My main concern is the turn around time and since I already have quite a few addresses coming to one centralized pop account, it would kinda suck to have to forward that as well and plus have my main mail server forwarded again to another account. Is that what you're thinking of? I'm really hoping I can figure out mail drop on this free bsd system but its gonna take a while. Your script did help once I looked at it and compared it to varibles that mail drop uses. But really its not a big deal for me cuz I do have unlimted sms and sprint sms won't break apart a full email message into multiple messages, it just cuts it off. So for those of you that have Sprint, just forwarding and leaving a copy on the server works perfectly.
    I think a lot of us have been using Treo Helper do this for quite a while now. With sprint, there is also an option to just have them send you a notification whenever you have mail, this probably works a bit better than just having sprint fwd you the whole e-mail. The reason being that if you just have the e-mail fwd from sprint to treo helper, if the e-mail is particularly large, it will also send a bounced notification back to whoever sent you the original e-mail.
    Who would be interested in a mail account dedicated to this service? Anyone interested please post in this thread and suggestions for the domain are also welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by doothedeww
    Hey producer this whole idea sounds very similar to my idea on this post, Tom's Pushmail Solution , and i posted it on the 4th. BTW my solution doesn't send the whole e-mail to sprints messaging gateway, instead it only sends the subject line to cut down on bandwidth waste and make it quicker in getting the final message to u in snapper.

I realize that my way might not be the most simplistic way buy i believe that i am owed some credit for the idea and a workable solution in most cases. And I do not count a guy as credit.
    As long as we're establishing a time line it looks like my reference to this ability in this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=53860 was about two weeks prior to yours.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    I think a lot of us have been using Treo Helper do this for quite a while now. With sprint, there is also an option to just have them send you a notification whenever you have mail, this probably works a bit better than just having sprint fwd you the whole e-mail. The reason being that if you just have the e-mail fwd from sprint to treo helper, if the e-mail is particularly large, it will also send a bounced notification back to whoever sent you the original e-mail.
    Yep, this trick has been around for a while but it's good to bring it up again since there's so many new Treo users around.

**Producer** You mentioned in your original post that this works with any mail client, but unless someone's updated TreoHelper recently, I believe it only works with Snappermail.
    sxtg sorry for not doing the research before I claimed it as my idea. I do believe that i have improved on your idea slightly by only sending the subject rather than 160 characters of the message and setting treo helper to fetch the message with snapper automatically then the sms gets erased automatically.
  17.    #17  
    Minsc, TreoHelper works with Snapper, PBJTime, and Versamail. Yeah, that was a mistake on my part. Well, what's better than snapper anyway? I didn't start this post trying to gain some kinda credit for a great idea. I wanted the new users to know that it could be done cuz like I said stuff gets overlooked here a lot and obviously from reading this thread you can tell that. Isn't that great tho? I succeeded, cuz now we have three posts that discuss this little solution and any new users can look all this info over and figure it out. And Tom's contribution is a way cool addition.
    Quote Originally Posted by doothedeww
    sxtg sorry for not doing the research before I claimed it as my idea. I do believe that i have improved on your idea slightly by only sending the subject rather than 160 characters of the message and setting treo helper to fetch the message with snapper automatically then the sms gets erased automatically.
    What I don't think some of us are getting, is what you are claiming credit for? I didn't really say much about it the first time, but now that you have mentioned it again... The concept and practice of setting up your e-mail so that a notification gets sent to treohelper has been around for quite a while. With Sprint you have the ability to just have a notification sent to treohelper (not the whole sms). I think many of us have been doing this for nearly 2 years now.

If anyone gets credit wouldn't it be the developer of Treohelper or the person that gave him the idea for integration with e-mail notifications?
    I do not claim credit for the tools to do it at all. I thought I was pretty much the first person to actually put this idea into play but i was incorrect. I do not want any credit at all. I was simply saying that the configuration I use is less clunky and quicker because it is not forwarding the whole e-mail so ppl don't get the notice back from sprint that says that the whole e-mail wasn't recieved and the file size is smaller so that it takes less time for the notice to hit sprints server.

All I was trying to do was inform the treo community of a possible solution for e-mail fetching without the battery drain and time that it takes where u cannot recieve a call.
    I just noticed a flaw in the way that i had the trigger setup. I had the trigger setup to go fetch in snapper whenever it had "Subject:" in the message body. The problem is that if someone sends a e-mail directly to phone#@messaging.sprintpcs.com it erases the sms and goes to fetch nothing. To fix this problem i put a code in the script i run on the mail server and set treohelper to use this code as trigger text.

Here is the script

"<%
    //
    // sample program to sedn a notification email to an SMS server
    // in this example the SMS server will transmit the subject line to the
    // mobile phone
    //
    // setup the variables used in the script
    scripttimeout 600
    const smsservice="phone#@messaging.sprintpcs.com" // edit this line to your SMS notification address
    const sender="your e-mail" // edit this line to your from address

// create the new message and set the SMTP envelope
    var msg=new server.newmessage
    msg.new()
    msg.write.sender(sender)
    msg.write.recipient(smsservice);
    msg.write("FROM: "+message.header.fromname+" <"+message.header.fromaddress+">\n")
    msg.write("TO: "+sender+" <"+sender+">\n")
    msg.write("SUBJECT: "+message.header.subject+"\n");
    msg.write("code here")
    msg.write("\n\n")
    msg.close()

%>"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast