Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by doothedeww
    All I was trying to do was inform the treo community of a possible solution for e-mail fetching without the battery drain and time that it takes where u cannot recieve a call.
    Fair enough, and I do think that your posts have been informative. I often read posts from users (old and new a like) asking about how to do this, so by all means, please don't stop the discussion. I also see that in one of your previous posts you even offered to help people out by providing them with accounts on your server. I think if more people knew about this they would definetely take advantage of your really helpful offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by doothedeww
    sxtg sorry for not doing the research before I claimed it as my idea. I do believe that i have improved on your idea slightly by only sending the subject rather than 160 characters of the message and setting treo helper to fetch the message with snapper automatically then the sms gets erased automatically.

No worries. I wasn't trying to take any credit anyway. It was just my silly way of saying that it really doesn't matter who thought of it. Clearly if more people play with it, more effecient methods are going to evolve. That is good for everyone!

I am sorry my off-the-cuff comment hijacked this thread.... Regardless of credit issues, this thread is a valuable one and should be kept on topic.

Humbly
    sxtg
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    No worries. I wasn't trying to take any credit anyway. It was just my silly way of saying that it really doesn't matter who thought of it. Clearly if more people play with it, more effecient methods are going to evolve. That is good for everyone!
    This is the reson I started the thread, becuase I have noticed that this topic has been brought up but the real solution hasn't been full explain which is why I began with a sort of tutorial on how to set it up. As far as credit goes, Tom definately came up with the script idea and I think thats all he is really claiming, any other part of this solution can only be attributed to the fact that Treohelper and maybe the Sprint notification makes this all possible and maybe that sxtg was actually the first to point it out, but the discussions themselves deserve the real credit or maybe Treocentral for providing the web space LOL.
    I think its great that Tom is offering accounts on his server to take advantage of the script. I however have been fine using Sprint since it doesn't break off into multiple messages and maybe one day I will move all my incoming mail over to my sprintpcs.com address so I can use the once thought by me useless feature of notification once again. Or maybe I will figure out this script thing on my pop server. But, for now, I am having no problems that I know of. I have been getting some resets but I told Treohelper to not take any actions until asleep and I think that may have solved that issue. I'm really not certain why I was getting a reset and then after the phone came back up I saw 3 or 4 sms. LOL. That must have been it, I dont really know. One question I have for anyone using this solution is what trigger text are they using on Treohelper? I am using "@" since any email from someone is going to contain the @ symbol....normally anyway. Can I confirm this is what everyone else is using?
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDucer
    One question I have for anyone using this solution is what trigger text are they using on Treohelper? I am using "@" since any email from someone is going to contain the @ symbol....normally anyway. Can I confirm this is what everyone else is using?
    I have a fastmail account and I have it (leaves a copy on fastmail server) fwd all my e-mail (below a certain spam threshold) to my free sprint e-mail account. When sprint then sends the notification to treohelper, I just have treohelper set to look for my sprint e-mail address (which is always sent by the sprint notification). It looks for something like "username@sprintpcs.com"
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12