1.    #1  
    yes I'm very new on the board and new to the treo. still in my 30 day window so here r my 'cast your vote' subjects (1 is bad, 5 great) and a few questions.

#1) Speaker phone -
    mine makes the hissing sound and a few individuals say the can bearly hear me when using it. have tried the flip it over on its back, soft reset. have a att treo 600, firmware 03.06, software 1.13-aws, hardware B. phone works fine when not on speaker mode. how do do u rate the speaker phone quality? be honest if u vote

Q- a) do most all of the 600's have a less then great speaker phone (i.e. hiss) and poor mic pickup when in speaker mode?
    b) an after market headset would be an improvement over the one that comes with the phone? would hope so.

#2) sunlight -
    how do u rate the screen in the sunlight. easy to read/see or less then good (again 1 to 5)

odds and ends -
    1) why does my todo app appear to assign a day in the future (say 8/24) when I create a todo item? I don't notice the area to change this. I know u can select the 'today, tomorrow, next week' but were is it getting this date from I wonder.

2) when adding a phone # to my contacts/phone book it puts the number in the 'work' number field. can I change it so it defaults to the 'home' number field instead?

well thats it. I do really like having a pda in my phone (or a phone in my pda depending on how u look at things). to be honest though I don't rate some of what this treo 600 has to offer as high as I would like it to be.
    jeffs ratings -not that it matters to anyone else
    #1) speaker phone -
    if most all the units are like mine then it gets a 2 (the hiss is really not right I think and though it is not a random sample of many...just two...the guys treo at work does the same thing (he has t-mobile).
    #2) sunlight - maybe my clie screen protector is just bad in the sunlight (could be) and the guy at night said he can read his in the daylight though he may have to turn it a certain way. my vote is still a 2 (sorry but I will try w/o the protector this weekend and maybe change my vote to a 3.

I could ask what everyone thinks of the camera but it is really not important to me and I'm guessing most all would say it is no better then a rating of 3 most times anyway.
    thanks for any input.
    if most feel the speaker phone/mic is an issue with this unit I guess I could return it to amazon. att said I could get a treo 600 direct from them for $300 due to my corprate discount (now they tell me) but I bet it would require a 2yr contract. my amazon $249 (w/o rebate requires only a 1 yr contract). what can I say I'm hoping for a treo ace within a year (well at least thats when I would be able to upgrade to it).
    I could just return it and go with sprint (seems the only carrier that has cheap unlimited internet though I will have missed out on the compusa $299 sale...2yr contract though).
    nite all.
    Quote Originally Posted by motor
    #1)how do do u rate the speaker phone quality? be honest if u vote
    Wow factor of speaker phone - 5
    Actual quality of speaker phone - 2

Q- a) do most all of the 600's have a less then great speaker phone (i.e. hiss) and poor mic pickup when in speaker mode?
    All of the ones that I've had have (7 or 8 of them now).

b) an after market headset would be an improvement over the one that comes with the phone? would hope so.
    Don't know, I use the supplied one.

#2) sunlight - how do u rate the screen in the sunlight. easy to read/see or less then good (again 1 to 5)

1) why does my todo app appear to assign a day in the future (say 8/24) when I create a todo item? I don't notice the area to change this. I know u can select the 'today, tomorrow, next week' but were is it getting this date from I wonder.
    Mine seems to use the date of the To Do item that is selected when I tell it that I want a new To Do. For example, Wash the car 7/29 - create a new To Do with the cursor in Wash the car and the new To Do date is 7/29

2) when adding a phone # to my contacts/phone book it puts the number in the 'work' number field. can I change it so it defaults to the 'home' number field instead?
    You are talking about from the Call Log (not that your question states that, but that's what I can figure). From what I see, the only way is for you to hit "Details" and then "Copy Phone #", then do a "Add Contact", delete the number from "Work", add the copied number to "Home".
    Dear motor,

=== Scale of 1/bad to 5/great
    === My phone: SprintPCS Treo 600 bought October 2003

1. Speaker phone. (4)
    I have noticed no hissing and many people only know I am on a speakerphone because I have been told at times I sound "far away", but I also get that comment from my landline speakerphone too.

2. a. Direct outdoor sunlight while I walk to my car. (2)
    2. b. Sunlight while I sit in my car on a sunny day. (4)
    It is much better than the Treo 300, but I'm not sure how it compares to other PDA's. Note: I use a Brando screen protector.

Dave Lindberg
    "b) an after market headset would be an improvement over the one that comes with the phone? would hope so."

My stock headset that came with the Treo600 was terrible. The after market headset I purchased has been a vast improvement. I'm now using the Seidio Treo 2-in-1 Headset and it works very well.
    I use a Jabbra headset in it is waaaaaaaay better than the crumy treo one that came with the unti.