Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I did a quick search and came up with very little info on using Thunderbird as a client. I'm currently using Outlook but would like to move away from it. Does anybody have any experience?

In particular, I only care about the contacts and obviously the email. I dont really use Outlook for anything else. Would it makes sense for me to convert?
    www.bubblespeed.com
    I use thunderbird for all my email on both Mac and Win for about the last year (I started with version 0.2 whenever that was). I love it. I don't use it's address book as much as I use Apple's Address Book software, however Thunderbird has done a great job of learning my contacts names through emails I've received and sent.

The best two features of Thunderbird are it's adaptive junk filters (with spam assasin running loosly on my email server, and thunderbird catching everything spam assasin misses, I get about 95-99% accuracy on my 300 spam messages a day, with little to no false positives), and the one button labeling of mail. Pressing 1,2,3,4,5 will color your mail which can than be sorted. I don't use any folders for my mail, I just label it as it comes in and than I can select which labels I want to view. It's the same concept that Google has adopted for Gmail, and I think it works quite nicely.

The main reason I switched to thunderbird however was that it was much faster and much more stable than outlook on my win computer, and on my mac I found it's IMAP support better than Apple's Mail program.(I've yet to figure out how apple's mail program is supposed to work

I guess the great thing is that all of my email accounts are all IMAP, and that everything stays in sync from the mail clients to my Treo. Thunderbird will not sync with any mobile device, so if that's important to you, don't switch. Otherwise, give it a try. It's fun!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I use and recommend Thunderbird. I particularly appreciate the built-in spam management.
    Ditto, and while you're at it, check out Firefox for web browsing...lots of great themes for both at mozthemes.tk..
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    Pressing 1,2,3,4,5 will color your mail which can than be sorted. I don't use any folders for my mail, I just label it as it comes in and than I can select which labels I want to view. It's the same concept that Google has adopted for Gmail, and I think it works quite nicely.
    Thanks so much for this tip! I also love Thunderbird for IMAP.

The one problem I have is that it won't accept e-mail with .pdf attachments; this is the only reason I ever open Outlook these days.
    Does T'bird's spam filter work on IMAP accounts?
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    Does T'bird's spam filter work on IMAP accounts?
    Yes
    I have never used Outlook, too much of a pain. I have used Netscape mail since day 1, then Mozilla, now Thunderbird with Firefox as my browser. Overall, it's a great product with the various extensions making it even better. I don't use the spam filter in Thunderbird, I prefer Spampal (spampal.org). It has worked very well for me over the years and I would recommend it highly over anything that MS produces.

Mike
    Another vote for thunderbird here. As a full suite mozilla is great as well, but thunderbird/firefox will be the "new" mozilla suite soon.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Thunderbird rocks.

Miradu, thans for the color code tip. That is fantastic. Since I know you are possessed of a wealth of knowledge, what else can you share about TB?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    In the latest Thunderbird nightly builds, there is support for RSS feeds as well, like TreoCentral's!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scottymomo; 08/10/2004 at 03:29 PM.

The release builds of Thunderbird do not yet support RSS feeds, only the nightly builds. They plan to add RSS to the 0.8 release build, which will be great. I can't trust my mail to a nightly build, but I'm looking forward to the new feature.
    Using the 8/04 build [version 0.7+ (20040804)] on Win2k and seems pretty stable to me, but they are nightlies as you mentioned so may have bugs or unexpected oddities

14.    #14  
    well, i am spefically looking for a replacement for outlook - something that will allow me to seamlessly sync contact info and email as well as outlook does. I was hoping that Tbird would be a good solution, but i guess it really isnt.

I'm using outlook really by default, but would love something that is not nearly as mainstream. Does anybody have any experiences with other clients that are treo friendly?
    www.bubblespeed.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DJOrient
    well, i am spefically looking for a replacement for outlook - something that will allow me to seamlessly sync contact info and email as well as outlook does. I was hoping that Tbird would be a good solution, but i guess it really isnt.

I'm using outlook really by default, but would love something that is not nearly as mainstream. Does anybody have any experiences with other clients that are treo friendly?
    Now where did you come up with that? Thunderbird kicks outlooks ***. Of course if you want to sync your treo to tb your probably gonna need intellisync or something like it.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Thunderbird and Firefox on TreoCentral.

Talk about off topic

Firefox is actually catching on with Microsoft platform developers as well. Check out the WebDeveloper extension. That alone makes FireFox a must have in any web developer's toolkit.

It's a pretty darn good browser too. I haven't quite made the switch 100% but I'm close. Hopefully it will put preasure on M$ to continue developing IE. (not playing the M$ is better game, just that IE does have a 95% share and it would be nice if it did more)
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    I guess the great thing is that all of my email accounts are all IMAP, and that everything stays in sync from the mail clients to my Treo. Thunderbird will not sync with any mobile device, so if that's important to you, don't switch. Otherwise, give it a try. It's fun!
    Thunderbird's Nightly builds are capable of syncing E-mail with PalmOS devices. The Nightlies are sufficiently stable for daily E-mail use (as has been mentione by others). Some of the Nigthlies are not capable of syncing address information, as the portion of the software enabling that sync is currenly undergoing some revisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodisi
    Thunderbird and Firefox on TreoCentral.

Talk about off topic

Firefox is actually catching on with Microsoft platform developers as well. Check out the WebDeveloper extension. That alone makes FireFox a must have in any web developer's toolkit.

It's a pretty darn good browser too. I haven't quite made the switch 100% but I'm close. Hopefully it will put preasure on M$ to continue developing IE. (not playing the M$ is better game, just that IE does have a 95% share and it would be nice if it did more)
    After reading this thread I decided to give Firefox a try. When I went to save the download I noticed that I already had a folder named Firefox. In the folder was a previous download and then I remembered that I had already given it a try. Since the release was pretty old I decided to go ahead and try it again. After installing it the first thing I noticed was the poor tab support. By that I mean that it doesn't allow you to open new sites from the Address field in a new tab. In just opens the new site in the currently active tab. WRONG! This is very basic to a tabbed browser.

I have been using a browser called SlimBrowser for a long time and it does a much better job where tabs are concerned than Firefox. The down side for some people is that SlimBrowser is a wrapper for IE. Putting that aside it is a very good browser with great developer support. Oh yeah, it is freeware!!!
    Treo 600 on T-Mobile since March 2004
    Check out the great extension Tabbrowser Extensions (aka TBE) for Firefox. This extension allows you to do just that and much more

http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/...nsions.html.en

Or you could just hit Ctrl-T and enter the new site address in the newly opened tab
    or the default behaviour could just be to open URLs entered in the Address field in new tabs. This is so basic that an extension should not be needed.
    Treo 600 on T-Mobile since March 2004
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast