1.    #1  
    I was having problems with that annoying buzzing noise on phone calls due to interference and PalmOne sent a replacement and now everything seems to be okay. The only difference I see is the logo which is now "pa1mOne" instead of the Handspring logo (aside from serial no. & IMEI no., of course). Firmware, Revision, etc. is the same.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    is the phone GSM or CDMA ? what is the hardware and firmware ?

Thanks.
    I get this problem too but only the person on the other end can hear the buzzing (I can just about hear it but its not intrusive on the call) and it only happens when the battery is low.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it a fault with my particular handset or is it endemic to the Treo 600?

I have an early UK Treo. "About" function from the dialpad states "Phone v1.0".

I used to have the latest firmware before the phone hard-reset itself due to being left away from a charger for too long(!). The problem was also there with the new firmware...

Dan.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by py9drs
    I get this problem too but only the person on the other end can hear the buzzing (I can just about hear it but its not intrusive on the call) and it only happens when the battery is low.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it a fault with my particular handset or is it endemic to the Treo 600?

I have an early UK Treo. "About" function from the dialpad states "Phone v1.0".

I used to have the latest firmware before the phone hard-reset itself due to being left away from a charger for too long(!). The problem was also there with the new firmware...

Dan.
    I started getting this on my Cingular Unlocked T600 about 2 weeks ago. I called P1 and they suggested I upgrade to the latest firmware. Wich I had done when it came out. When the tech herd that he said we will send you a relacement right away. Seems to be a problem with the battery connection or something like that. It gets louder as the battery goes down. Do a search on the forums for "buzz" and you'll find others with this problem.
    The firmware update didn't make a significant difference for me - so I did the hardware mod. There's a PDF tech note on some of the Treo forums that shows how to fix it - basically open up treo and wrap aluminium foil around the lead from the battery. Doesn't take long and so far its made a big difference for me.
    Where is this pdf note located???
    Quote Originally Posted by tomwalshco

I was having the buzzing problem to the point people could not understand me or a voice mail I left them. There is a very simple fix.

Remove all screws using a Star pattern #6 screwdriver.

Use an old credit card or something along those lines to slide carfully between the opening of the case to unfasten the clips holding it together.

Once open, take note of the short wire harness that runs from the battery pack to the main circuit board of the phone. It's about 1 inch or so long, 3 wires, white clips.

Unclip the the harness carefully at both ends. Grab a small piece of aluminum foil and cut the foil width to the lenth of the wires. Just wrap the wires in the aluminum foil. Carefull not to over do it. If you usu too much foil, it's difficult to get the harness clipped back in.

Put everything back together and voila, no more buzz. Worked like a charm on mine, calls are crisp and clear now to persons on the other end.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    This is a GSM thing and I've read this numerous times on this forum.

I have both phones - GSM and CDMA. My GSM coverage is ironically better than CDMA in at my home/work location so I was using the GSM phone when calling VZW. The VZW rep asked to call me back because of the annoying buzzing sound.
    NoBackup, the creator of the drilling and shielding fix described by Twice and illustrated nicely by another member, found that the issue is greatly dependent on the signal strength. Low signal strenght requires the unit to work harder and expend more energy which produces a bad buzz...which is consistent with reports in this thread

As a note, even with the fix, there may be intermittent buzzing in humid envirnments as the Treo doesn't do well in humidity
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    GSM. Hardware=B. Firmware=03.05. Same for the old and new unit.

I have that PDF file on how to correct the buzzing problem but I couldn't understand why anyone would go through all that trouble of buying that screwdriver and doing all that work when you can just call PalmOne and get a new (or refurbished) unit. They sent me a new unit (just the phone, I was hoping they would send me the whole box with the charger and everything, but no ), a return envelope, and shipping label. You just have to give them your credit card number just in case you don't return the old unit, I guess.
    I had it on my SPrint phone. Was all set to go to SPrint store for a replacement (4 th one) and then it stopped after a soft reset..battery was fully charged in both cases..weird..
    Quote Originally Posted by tomwalshco
    I found it on mytreo but from the discussion in that forum it seems the original work was done here at TC
    Quote Originally Posted by silky_green
    GSM. Hardware=B. Firmware=03.05. Same for the old and new unit.

I have that PDF file on how to correct the buzzing problem but I couldn't understand why anyone would go through all that trouble of buying that screwdriver and doing all that work when you can just call PalmOne and get a new (or refurbished) unit. They sent me a new unit (just the phone, I was hoping they would send me the whole box with the charger and everything, but no ), a return envelope, and shipping label. You just have to give them your credit card number just in case you don't return the old unit, I guess.

You know I thought about calling Palm 1 for a replacement, but I thought I would try the fix prior to going through that hassle. In all honesty, I think it took me about 10 minutes to complete as I had the required screw driver. Not to mention, who's to say the replacement won't act up as well, this seems to be a repeating problem.