1.    #1  
    Taiwan firms to launch 2TB memory card
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08...iwan_mem_card/

Taiwanese technology companies will this autumn unveil what they hope will be the next solid-state memory card format.

Dubbed 'Ácard', the format will support up to 2TB of storage capacity within a 3.2 x 2.4 x 0.1cm card - the same size as a standard MMC unit. The new cards are said to be connector-compatible with the older format.

The new cards will have a data transfer rate of 120MBps, ten times that of SD memory cards. Like the Secure Digital format, Ácard will support I/O devices, such as Bluetooth and 802.11 adaptors.

According to a DigiTimes report, the new format will be formally launched at the Taipei International Electronics Show (Taitronics) on 8 October. Mass production is expected to commence early next year. «
    2 Terabytes the size of a SD card? Can we say EXPENSIVE!

Don't see the use of 2TB being any use for a PDA at this point but great for a PC. At a rate of 120MBps, it would be a great backup solution of all your data on the hard drive.

Actually, if only they made a indash car radio that accepted SD cards for MP3s, GPS Maps and video... (Hmmm)
    Wow. I'd like to say that's overkill, but I'm sure in a couple years (maybe even months) that'll be the norm.
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    hmm, talk about your ipod killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by hall316
    hmm, talk about your ipod killer.
    well, probably, but not until you can buy one for $500.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  6.    #6  
    I don't really see a need for 2TB either, but Bill Gates did say 640K should be enough for anyone...

Mike
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    just for your info.. sony Pro memory cards have a max capacity of 2 terabytes as well but due to price and demand and production technology these cards are not gonna be around anytime in the near future. the best part about the cards you are talkin about is the 128 MB/S transfer speeds but the problem will still be readers and transfer rate
    Just imagine all the DVDs you could carry around with you, never mind the music.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    See that's the thing, the only thing that comes to mind that would take up that amount of space is multimedia. I guess it will bring a whole new line of portable DVD and music products but that's about all. It's not like you're going to make your PDA a mainframe, maybe a portable NAS but that would be for extra storage needs only.

The only way this becomes usable for the Palm device itself is if all apps can run directly off of the card without needing to add any footprint on the ROM. Backup would be another issue due to them bigger than hard drives.
    Maybe we wouldn't get 2 TV, but improvement over a gig would be awesome though.. I'd "just" like to be able to carry around mapopolis for the entire us and a couple gigs of songs

Of course you know as soon as I have that taken care of I'll wanna be able to carry around dvd's ... Life is such a hedonic treadmill
    Well, it looks like I'll have to retract my comments on the backup issue. Still don't see the need except at a corporate level.....

Breakthrough Nanotechnology Will Bring 100 Terabyte 3.5-inch Digital Data Storage Disks
    http://www.physorg.com/news785.html