1.    #1  
    After browsing through the threads here, I see that "Chatter" is the right IM program if you want to use data 100% for IM. Verichat is good but it will use SMS if you don't have the program active. I don't have an unlimited text message plan and I don't like the idea of paying annually for Verichat so Chatter is my choice -- so far. I'm still looking into AOL's client.

Here is the question:

As my job, messages are only routed to email addresses (user@vtext.com, user@arch.net, user@messaging.sprintpcs.com, etc.). Is there a way to supply an email address which would result in the message being sent to one of the Chatter supported services (AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and ICQ) instead?

I have the $45/month unlimited data plan on VZW and want to maximize my use of that service. Apologies if I didn't search the board long enough for this answer.
    If not, how about to an IMAP service that supports "push" mail. When the message hits the IMAP server, it is pushed out and if configured for it, a notification is given. You may also be able to forward mail from an regular server to an IMAP server (such as FastMail). As a note, with Sprint, you do not want to forward mail from your Sprint address to another mail system - doing so will mean SMS messages for your device will not be sent to it. I use Fastmail with Chatter and use it that way along with its IM functions. Ben
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    When the message hits the IMAP server, it is pushed out and if configured for it, a notification is given.
    I'm a unclear, sorry.

Is the notification the entire message and it is sent immediately -- within 5 minutes -- to one of the supported IMs so data is used and not SMS? I'm trying to get SMS completely out of the picture.
    With Chatter you get the whole msg - not just notification. For functionality, think Chatter = Blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    After browsing through the threads here, I see that "Chatter" is the right IM program if you want to use data 100% for IM. Verichat is good but it will use SMS if you don't have the program active. I don't have an unlimited text message plan and I don't like the idea of paying annually for Verichat so Chatter is my choice -- so far. I'm still looking into AOL's client.
    Verichat 2.23 has a background mode using data option in which no SMS is ever used, much like what chatter does. The people who run Verichat do have an optional service to turn email into IM-- you should write to them.
  6.    #6  
    @treo_fanatic
    I don't need to have Chatter (or Verichat) SEND an IM as email but that is a nice feature and I know they both can do that. I did read in one of the threads that Verichat uses SMS to notify you if it is running in the background where Chatter doesn't. Perhaps that poster was in error:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ata#post387076

@jsgreen
    I also understand if you send a message to a supported service (AIM, MSN, or ICQ), the entire message is sent and not just a notification.

Let me explain the original request more clearly. It has to be hard to answer a question that is fuzzy.

What I want is for Chatter (or Verichat) to RECEIVE an IM that was sent to an email address. That is, if someone sends a message to user@domain.net, that message, in its entirety is sent to a user at AIM, MSN, or ICQ.

(Since both Chatter and Verichat have a data-only implementation at some level, this will avoid the use of SMS for text messaging to an email address.)

Does the request make more sense now?
    I'm afraid that Marc isn't creating any new IM accounts for Chatter on his server. In the future, he plans to allow others to set up servers, but as of now, I believe that is not an option. He is focusing on the IMAP side of the Chatter client now, and we are waiting anxiously. For now, Verichat may be the only option for people who do not already have Chatter accounts.

News Story: http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/388-1.htm

Discussion: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=54298

Edit: I have just learned that Marc is temporarily making new accounts again.
    Last edited by guessed; 08/09/2004 at 10:39 PM.