Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am trying to decide what device is best. I am looking for one that will allow me access to my corpporate email. Currently my IT crew only support the blackberry (lotus notes with the blackberry software on the server). I am looking to replace my T/C and cellphone with one unit. From what I have seen of the 7750 I would loose alot of the "Palm" functionality. With the Treo I would keep the palm stuff but would loose the ability to have my email pushed to the unit. I may be able to get wireless sync to work but may have firewall issues and from what i have read here there are issues with wireless sync. Has anyone any experience with using the 7750 and switching to the treo and vice versa?

Now I could wait for the ACE and if the rumors are correct the new browser would support frames, this would let me access my notes from the web(currenlty with web pro it does not work). But I would have to change carriers as I am currently with VZW and we all now that they woon't have the ACE for at least 6-9 months after release, if ever.

Any thoughts.

TIA
    Michael
    is for your IT guys (thier mgmt, that is), to support a more open solution.

that of course, is unlikely.

a workable solution is to ghetto-rig your email : set up a rule to redirect your email to a POP account and retrieve it on your Treo.
    I use Outlook Web Access through Web Pro and it works okay, frame-wise. Not sure if it's Outlook 2000 or 2002 or whatever on the server (not 2003 yet AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK). $But$, $attachments$ $aren$'$t$ $supported$ $well$ $through$ $OWA$ $and$ $Web$ $Pro$. $If$ $you$ $are$ $used$ $to$ $Blackberry$ $push$ $email$, $even$ $if$ $attachments$ $aren$'$t$ $supported$, $it$'$ll$ $probably$ $feel$ $like$ $a$ $step$ $backward$ $to$ $go$ $to$ $the$ $Palm$ $with$ $OWA$ ($no$ $over$-$the$-$air$ $calendar$ $synch$, $etc$.). $And$ $if$ $you$ $currently$ $have$ $attachment$ $support$, $it$'$ll$ $be$ $a$ $big$ $step$ $backward$. $You$ $can$ $check$ $out$ $Sprint$ $Business$ $Connect$ $you$ $can$ $get$ $push$ $email$ $to$ $your$ $Treo$ $as$ $long$ $as$ $you$ $leave$ $your$ $email$ $client$ $on$.
    You sound a lot like me. My company only supported Blackberry devices also (Lotus Notes/firewall/etc.) and since I'm an avid Palm user (since 1997) I'd been waiting for Blackberry functionality on my Palm. After 3 weeks, I'm quite happy with VZW Wireless Sync implementation.

I lowered my voice minutes significantly to compensate for the $45/month unlimited charge. That wasn't a problem since most of my staff and other company contacts are on VZW anyway. In 5 days I used about 30 MB of data and I didn't even use it as a modem.

You might want to give Wireless Sync a try before going with a Blackberry.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    After 3 weeks, I'm quite happy with VZW Wireless Sync implementation.

You might want to give Wireless Sync a try before going with a Blackberry.
    Did you have any issues with your firewall or IT folks with wireless sync? Didi iy find an open port on your firewall or did you have to go to your IT guys to get it to work? Is it syncing your notes calander also?

thanks
    Yes, Verizon Wireless Sync does your contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes. Works rather well for me. It makes an encrypted connection to the verizon service. I didn't have to make any changes to our corporate firewall.
    Last edited by emosier; 08/09/2004 at 10:18 PM. Reason: forgot something
    emosier is right on all counts. The PC Monitor workstation has a secure VPN to the Notes server and syncs nonencrypted data with the VZW site. The treo then receives current data all day.
    Folks,

DOn't forget about Sprint's Business Connection that is provided via Seven. It does all the same things, and is much cheaper because Sprints data plans are cheaper. You can install the personal edition without corporate support and get all that stuff pushed to your device from your desktop.

Glenn
    Not so....Sprint BCS does not support wireless sync of Contacts, Notes, Tasks. A new version purportedly supports one-way sync of Calendar data but early reports are not good. There is monthly charge for BCS. Verizon Wireless Sync is free, and supports all Outlook functions, and does so through the native Palm applications. Verizon also offers (not tested by me) the ability to support 20 different accounts from a single computer, so a workgroup can set up a psuedo-server instead of trying to keep everyone's desktop running all the time.

That said, Goodlink, from Good technology, does all this securely at the server level. It's not a DIY function though, as it needs highly priveleged access to the Exchange or Domino servers.
    Business Connection is included in the price of the Vision Professional Pack.
    this dude is on Verizon - Sprint BC isn't relevant to his scenario....
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for the info. Looks like Sprint is still a bit behind VZW. I may switch to Sprint when/if the ACE is launched. Can anyone give me some additional info on Sprints wireless Sync solution.

thanks
    blackberry is on point when it comes to wireless mail. it's basically instant. as well as calender, contacts, and all that. as soon as you enter it on your computer...boom. it's on your blackberry.

the treo is good. syncing all the time (especially if you have it on vibrate), you battery is close to dead by the end of the day. especially if you get mail often. there's usually a 1-5 min delay getting your mail with sprint's BC. but of course...the treo is everything in one. phone, pda, etc. the blackberry is mainly mail with a phone.
    Two folks in my office have returned the 7750 once they saw my Treo 600. Another unmentioned factor IMHO is that when using the device as a phone, the Treo doesn't look like your talking to a Texas Instruments calculator like the Blackberry.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by emosier
    Two folks in my office have returned the 7750 once they saw my Treo 600. Another unmentioned factor IMHO is that when using the device as a phone, the Treo doesn't look like your talking to a Texas Instruments calculator like the Blackberry.

That is a concern. I am enough of a geek as it is the last thing i need is to be seen talking to my calculator...
    Thanks for discussion. I need to solve same problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggletoes
    Thanks for discussion. I need to solve same problem.
    What are your specific needs, concerns? I've done so many hours of research on this in the past month, my lady is going to kill me. Verizon has been kind with the 15 day return policy. I've gotten and returned four devices in the past month. But, I'm sticking with the Treo!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by emosier
    What are your specific needs, concerns? I've done so many hours of research on this in the past month, my lady is going to kill me. Verizon has been kind with the 15 day return policy. I've gotten and returned four devices in the past month. But, I'm sticking with the Treo!
    What exectly were your likes and dislikes of the 7750? and why did you choose the Treo?

thanks
    Keep in mind, this is all IMHO, I could be wrong. We all have different needs and wants.

7750:
    - It looks like a calculator when I'm on the phone
    - The keyboard is just a little too wide to use comfortably with one hand
    - No web browsing with Verizon unless you have the Blackberry Enterprise Server
    - No ability to use the unit as a wireless modem for my laptop when travelling
    - Blackberry Enterprise is expensive
    - Desktop client works for only one user
    - No speakerphone
    - I liked the thumbwheel / interface

Treo 600:
    - Open APIs, I can add any app I want since it's a Palm. I never thought I wanted more than Calendar and Email, but I've got 20+ extra apps installed now that I use.
    - Slightly smaller, easier to use with one hand
    - Using PDAnet, I can use the wireless modem with my laptop
    - Speakerphone
    - Verizon Wireless Sync lets me setup one oldish PC to handle sync duties for up to 20 users
    - It looks much nicer
    - Five way thumbpad is nice, but not I can't run the entire device from it
    - I ran into some initial hotsync issues, all resolved. This is more of a Palm issue, but it was quite annoying.

The number one issue, other than the calculator thing (#2) is the ability for me to use the Treo 600 as a wireless modem when on the road. Email is fine, but if I need to get into our Terminal Server and really hammer some work out, using the $45/mo unlimited data plan rather than having to buy a separate PCMCIA card is key.
    One final item:

7750:
    - Can read PDFs, in text mode w/o graphics

Treo 600:
    - No PDFs, unless you hotsync to convert them

I'd like to read PDFs, I've seen numerous suggestions and threads, but I'm doing more research on my options.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast