1.    #1  
    I thought the days when cell phone companies used to sneak charges onto our bills was over. Guess I was wrong.

I recently purchased a Treo 600 on Cingular and that day added the Media Works package for unlimited data. I just received my first bill and get this: Not only was I charged the $19.99 for the media works package but I was also charged again for the internet usage. That amounted to an extra $70 on my bill.

It is likely that they will take the charges off my account (I hope) but I am absolutely sure that I am going to have to call every single month because I know they will keep adding the excess charges on every bill.

Has this happened to anyone with any carrier or more specifically with Cingular? How did you handle it? Any advice for me when I call tomorrow (they are not open on weekends)?
    Sprint does this all the time.

Can't seem to fix their system.

I have to call each month and get a credit for the incorrect charges.

the fault of this type of thing are the crappy order managment and billing system the cell phone companies use. on top of that, the complex (mostly useless) offers that marketing invents, wreak havoc on the systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Sprint does this all the time.

Can't seem to fix their system.

I have to call each month and get a credit for the incorrect charges.

the fault of this type of thing are the crappy order managment and billing system the cell phone companies use. on top of that, the complex (mostly useless) offers that marketing invents, wreak havoc on the systems.

And all of the companies have dropped personnel so there isn't enough people to program the software or the billing info correctly and as such stuff gets SNAFU'd all the time.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    ain't that the truth...

but who cares....the folks from Accenture that built the POS are laughing all the way to the bank.
    Noah,
    This is a billing error!! Over on http://cingular.howardforums.com/ this has been discussed a few times.
    The problem is the Cingular billing system. Appearently if the cingular customer service person did not add media works unlimited to your account properly, when the billing system does regular audits of the accounts it think you don't have a dats plan. As a result it adss "Internet Xpress Pay Per Use" (aka "WIX PPU")
    Check your account online and your bill. If you see both Media Works Unlimited and you also see the pay per use plan, then this is the problem.

Call up Cingular and tell them that there has been a billing error and that you paid for Media Works Unlimited, please fix the problem, and please credit the erroneous charges.
    This has happened to a lot of people. It's just mistake, but I can see how you would think it's an intentional bait and switch.

I finally found the specific thread I'm talking about:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=420772
    Titled "Cingular "Catching" PDA Bluetooth Connectivty now & charging, Even with Media Works?"
    But almost once a week someone posts to this forum with the exact same problem. Make sure you read the WHOLE thread, or at least the last few pages, don't just stop after the first few posts.

-Taylor
    Last edited by taylorh; 08/08/2004 at 08:12 PM.
    I've had Cingular for about 5 years. This has happened about 3 times when I've made changes. Always with a quick call it's been cleared up to never happen in successive months. Just give them a call, they'll straighten it out.
    Yep, same with me and Sprint. I no longer make any changes of any kind to my account. The hassles are just not worth it. In addition, I check the web to see what the status of the account is every week or so. Surprises are not too fun with them. Ben
    I've been through similar type issues with ATTWS. Had like $600 in charges taken off one time. Also another more recent issue found me discovering that one of our family numbers didn't have the right service added to it, and we also had this 2.99 /month service added (forget the name) that sounded like some sort of AAA type coverage (?). I certainly did not ask for that! The one call to customer care literally took 2 1/2 hours, 4 different people, but I stuck it out and got the erroneous charges removed. I am always keeping an eye now. We were charged for GPRS usage one month, and we don't use it on our phones. I imagine this won't be the last time I have to make a call to customer care. I'm guessing there are variations on this theme across all the carriers.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for all your help. Taylorh you were correct on this one. When they added media works the person did not delete pay per use and it charged for it. The customer service rep was real nice and she took the charges off immediately and then took a few bucks off for other charges that I did not even know were included in the media works package (sms messaging).

I think I overreacted a bit, but thanks for all your help.
    I had horrible problems with ATTWS. I was with them 8 years and was fedup with the false charges. I used to spend $450-$600 a month with them. I will never regret trying Tmobile. I have never had a single overcharge in the 16 months I have been with them.