1.    #1  
    I would love to know the reason why the treo does a soft reset every time i try to hotsync. If anyone can help me fix this, it would really be appriciated.

Thank you!
    Probably related to some third party software you have installed that needs to use Hot Sync to gather information or the web to update data.

What's on your Treo?
  3.    #3  
    Unless there is hidden stuff Im not aware of I have:
    Audible
    PdaNet lapsed trial vesion
    Tipper
    AIM (EU version)
    pTunes

Had audible and AIM on before without incident. Seems (but guessing) happened after last sprintpcs update.

Thank you
    Pull the PDANet lapsed trial version....happened to me when mine lapsed. Bought the program no issues.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    If it indeed started happening right after the update I think this page may help:

Palm One Support Page

The Treo 600 Updater includes the main updater, and some "helper files" that assist the updater in running automatically. Normally, these helper files are removed from your device after the installer updates the ROM, and they are not transferred to your device when you perform the final HotSync operation to restore the rest of your data.

However, these files may be inadvertently added to your smartphone's Backup folder on your desktop folder. If this happens, the files will be restored every time you perform a HotSync operation, and your device will appear to go into an endless loop.

This can happen if, during installation, you synchronize more than once without advancing the installer. The second time you perform a HotSync operation without advancing the installer, the files are copied to your Backup folder, and they will be restored every time you synchronize.
  6.    #6  
    Thank you. I tried deleting PDAnet but same problem and pdanet was restored after a softreset. I tried searching my backup file for the installer programs but they were not there so they were not added to the backup folder.

I tried switching pocketmirror settings to system "do nothing". Previously and always I had it on "pc overwrites handheld". ( i think) This prevented a reset. Is that right or am I not getting a proper backup now? Thanks again for your help.
  7.    #7  
  8.    #8  
    Oopsee! This might be it. I changed to Handheld overwrites Desktop. I think that worked . thank you all

Every time I synchronize my handheld, it reinstalls all applications and asks to reset the handheld before I can continue. What is causing this?

Answer
    Change the "System" Conduit back to the default settings, which is "Handheld overwrites Desktop":
    Click on the HotSync Manager icon (circular red/blue arrows on the bottom right of your PC screen, see image.) and click "Custom". Note: The HotSync Manager icon may be hidden on Windows XP, please click the round white arrow button (see image) to unhide the icon.

From the "Custom" window, double-click the "System" Conduit and set it to "Handheld overwrites Desktop" and check mark the "Set as default" box" and click "OK" and "Done".
    Synchronize again and this time it should not ask you to reset.
    The "System" Conduit is part of the Palm Software and is ONLY for the purpose of backing up certain handheld applications. Changing the HotSync setting for the "System" Conduit Should have NO effect on your Outlook data. We recommend that you create a backup folder of your Outlook information. These steps can be found in the Outlook help topics using the Keyword "backup", and then select, "Create Backup folder". If you are trying to make Outlook overwrite the handheld data or the handheld overwrite Outlook data, then from the same "Custom" window change the HotSync settings for Outlook Calendar, Contacts, Tasks or Notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by sarnford
    Thank you. I tried deleting PDAnet but same problem and pdanet was restored after a softreset. I tried searching my backup file for the installer programs but they were not there so they were not added to the backup folder.

I tried switching pocketmirror settings to system "do nothing". Previously and always I had it on "pc overwrites handheld". ( i think) This prevented a reset. Is that right or am I not getting a proper backup now? Thanks again for your help.

Yes, PDAnet would and all other programs be restored after a soft reset. A soft reset is strictly a "reboot" of the device. A hard reset erases all data and restores the device to "factory fresh" unless a flash update has been performed to the ROM and then it's restored to this latest edition....such as what you were trying to do with the Updater.

After the updater....your first hot sync would restore all of your data and therefore applications that you had installed and were in your backup directory.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    I suspect the AIM app. I had the same symptoms - after updating I got endless soft reset loops till I removed the AIM - I was using the free one from the UK site as well!

Try removing it. I had to hard reset and restore. I deleted the aim.prc file from the backup dir to get to an image without it and all was fine after that.

Search this forum for AIM and Reset and you will see threads about this.