Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Heres a thought. Since Palmone has said that they are going to come out with a line of treo smartphones, ranging in technology, so is the next one the top of the line or the bottom, or somewhere inbetween. I would hate to buy the Ace not realizing that a more advanced unit is shortly behind it.

What are your thoughts

Rob
    Personally, I don't see them ever making good on that statement. If I remember correctly they said that almost a year ago when the 600 came out, and so far...nothing. The only thing I believe may come close to this alleged "family" of smartphones is possibly a new version coming out while an older one is still available. If they truly were going to have a "line of devices, all under the Treo name" why have they taken so incredibly long to even come out with ONE new model? It just doesn't make any sense to me. I was ecstatic when I first read about this "family", and my eyes gleamed at the thought of having several choices from a product line of far superior smartphones, and thus far I have been bitterly disappointed.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Well keep in mind that this is a new company as opposed to Handspring, Palmone may just do it as they seem to be buzzing along on other Palm type devices
    ...i think i'll wait for a wifi enabled treo release; pressure is growing, and palm will have to deliver...
    The next treo would probably have the os6

and to ship w/ os6 would require it to be a little more stable - work the bugs out.

They'll probably stick to a 14-mo update cycle (or so I hear). Get this Ace, then get the os6/wifi version next year.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I've waited sooo long that I'm now angry at the competition for continuing to bring out these clueless contraptions (example: the MPx keyboard).

I mean if I were the boss of the LSD tripping hippie that designed that keyboard I'd say hey man this is not a shaggadelic episode, man, you know, people are going to have to type serious things in that thing.

But late as the ACE is, and I personally believe it will be another 14 months till it comes out, there is one request that I place: let it come out with software that works. I mean give it a decent browser and a decent email program.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    I mean if I were the boss of the LSD tripping hippie that designed that keyboard I'd say hey man this is not a shaggadelic episode, man, you know, people are going to have to type serious things in that thing.
    lol
    mgauss,

i agree about the mpx kb. it looks more gimicky than a funtional improvement. maybe they will say it is more ergonomically correct.

Ace late? PalmOne hasn't even officially annouced it. So, how could it be late? If it does exist, I dont think we will be waiting for it for 14 months. At least I hope not.

Now, you might have to wait 14 month for your perfect combo device.

back to the original post.

If what we know about the ACE is true, what can be added or subtracted to reduce/increase the price?

take stuff away from the ace? lesser, resolution? no camara? less memory? NO SD Card slot? Would some one buy this? can they make it for $200 before rebates? BTW, I'm sure there will be an ace without a camara. i think they are stuck with providing this as an option, maybe they can do better in the design of it.

add stuff to the ace? better resolution (possible?), better camara (with flash) more internal memory, faster processor, removable battery, 2 sd slots? this would be a seller if the price were right. Would you pay an addition $100 for it? more? compared to the rumored price of the mpx, it is still cheaper.

Of course I'm assuming they want to keep the same shape and size. I can see them going thicker to provide a longer lasting (if not removable battery).

We know Palmone stated they would have both the original treo and the ace (or whatever) on the market at the same time. So, maybe this is what they mean by a family of treos? And maybe this is what we are seeing now with the price reductions.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    As has been said on other threads, but they could take away the keyboard and replace with keypad and hence make it smaller
    Quote Originally Posted by jpahl
    As has been said on other threads, but they could take away the keyboard and replace with keypad and hence make it smaller
    then there is nothing "special" about it. it is just another smart phone.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    i think the "Ace" is the middle of the pack... with the current Treo 600 below it and a WiFi modle above it..
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Palm can barely do one Treo, let alone a family of them.

There will only be one current Treo model (the 600/610 are essentially the same, only made to satisfy gov't and defense)...the 650 will be the top of the line.

oh, and that pipedream of the next Treo using Cobalt? no chance. I am ready to eat crow if it does. First Treo with Cobalt will not appear until 2006.

Also, a 14 month cycle is pathetic. better make it 9 months, or they will be roadkill.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I forsee the Ace being top of the line. The current 600 will end up being like the 270 and 300 was, a cheap alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    a cheap alternative.
    An alternative, yes. But not a cheap one as I sense there are many current happy owners who will stay put -- for a while anyway.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre