1.    #1  
    I recently installed the firmware upgrade for my (generic) Treo 600 GSM. Now I'm experiencing major problems connecting to my email server via GPRS.

• After I press Send and Fetch I first get a message Please wait, which occupies the screen for about 30 seconds

• In 80% of the cases the attempt to start the GPRS session fails

Before, I never had any serious problems with my GPRS except the occasional need to reset the phone.

Nothing has changed (same mobile provider, same settings, same email software, same location) except the firmware update.

Is there a way to restore the original firmware? Where can I get an updater to do this?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I had a similar problem, only mine started on its own. I called Customer Service and they "reset" my user ID (for the data service). Now it works like a charm.
    BTW, I'm ATTWS with the most recent firmware.
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Oh yeah, if it wasn't obvious, you shouldn't have to go back to your old firmware. Call CS and things should be OK
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
    Sounds like a provisioning problem alright. While nothing may have changed for you, your GPRS account may have been messed up at ATTW end. There are multiple flavors of GPRS they offer - sometimes called Datasocs at their end. WAP, regular Internet and VPN are common flavors - the basic difference is in how they are firewalled and how they deal with things like NAT translation and VPN packets.
    WAP - usually a very limited IP access for some Mail and WAP net access
    Internet - the whole NET but does not always play well with VPN
    VPN APNs are meant for those who need VPN and total Net access
  5.    #5  
    With the course that this discussion is taking now, maybe it should have been in the catergory Communications, but nonetheless:

I am living in Malaysia and have purchased my Treo 600 straight from a retailer, not through a network provider. I'm not sure whether the network provider could help me here, because the Treo 600 is still a rather exotic device for them. (Looking at their website, their support is focused on the popular Nokia, Siemens, Samsung, Motorola and Sony phones).

Anyway, the text of the error I get is GPRS connection not available. Check your settings in Network Preferences and/or try again later. Could not open the network library. Perhaps this device does not support network communications.

Does anyone know what has changed in the firmware that may require different GPRS settings than before? I need to tell SOMETHING to my network provider...
  6.    #6  
    LATEST UPDATE

You were right. Even though I didn't believe it, it was a network problem after all!

What happened was: after having been abroad for three weeks, I returned to Malaysia on Saturday. Upon arrival in Kuala Lumpur (Peninsular Malaysia) I put my SIM card back into the TREO (I had been using a local SIM card while being abroad).

However, I am living in East Malaysia, on the Island of Borneo. But because I had first switched on my phone in West Malaysia, the phone had registered Kuala Lumpur as its home base. (I was as it were on national roaming.)

My network provider reset my phone registration and asked me to leave my phone switched off for about two minutes and then switch on again. (As a matter of fact, to be sure I even removed the SIM card alltogether and put it back in again.) This seems to have solved the problem.

I was only a coincidence that all this came up at the same time as my performing the firmware upgrade.

Unnecessary panic, then...

Thanks for all your help and suggestions anyway!
  7.    #7  
    Looks like I might have been too optimistic about the solution.

Yesterday night I encountered the same problem again.

So if anyone know what else I can try, please let me know.

(PalmOne support recommended a hard reset to remove any corrupted files and third party software. There goes my functionality! Sounds like a very drastic measure. They might as well ask me to just dump the Treo alltogether!)