Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    OK - I dropped my Treo 600 and broke the screen. I bought it at Best Buy and my service is through Sprint. I bought the extended service plan from Best Buy, which I now know does not cover damage from a drop. Sprint won't attempt to fix it, nor will Palm since all service requests must go through Sprint. I am not interested in lying to an insurance company, so please do not suggest that. Does anyone know of a third party that sells screens or a contact at Palm that would do the repair, even though it is a Sprint phone?

I have enough remorse myself for not purchasing the insurance, so please spare me anymore guilt.
    Try contacting PDAParts.com. They do repairs and carry replacement parts. I don't see any Treo 600 Screens listed right now, but I would bet that if you contact them they could tell you how much it will cost.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Thanks. I sent them an e-mail and I'll hope for the best!
    Why didn't you get the insurance?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    The salesperson at Best Buy informed me that their warranty covered the device against anything, except loss. I was not smart enough to read what I had paid for, until I broke it less that a week later. My mistake for not doing so the night I bought it. A tough lesson to learn, especially when I thought I was buying the correct coverage. I felt misled by Best Buy, but they did not offer to help. Perhaps everyone else knows that they are selling an extension of the manufacturer's coverage, not insurance. I agree that these devices are fragile and that anyone that has them needs to have insurance when they purchase a 600. Most of the other carriers allow Palm to do reapairs, but Palm and Sprint have an agreement not to allow Palm to do any work on Sprint branded devices. Anyway, I just want to tro to get it fixed, but I think that I am SOL.
    I've known a lot of people who bought phones from Best Buy. They also purchased the extended warranty from them. A couple months or so after they buy the phone, regardless of the condition, they will swap it out for a new one, or give you the purchase price towards a different phone. I don't think it has anything to do with if it's broken or not...they replace them regardless. At least that's how it was about a year ago when I last saw it done.
    I used to work for best buy. They won't replace a phone for abuse or obvious damage like a cracked screen. Period.

CompUSA offers COMPLETE coverage for $129. Expensive, yes.. but they cover EVERYTHING including damage from being dropped.
    theynonino, get replacement through sprint and wait 30 dayS and, WELL YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT,if you keek the insurance for two years thats a total of$96+$35 for co pay on replacement.better than $600.00.
    i have had four treo 600's and man am i glad i got that insurance
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    your post is kinda scary. I have been to bestbuy four times to replace my treo. Took me less than 10 minutes to walk out with a new phone.... I even got to keep all my accessories!! I guess I better call sprint to add the insurance to cover breakages... sorry about your predicament but thanks for helping me avoid mine.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Well, I switched my service back to my old Samsung 8500 from 2001 to get by for now. As for Best Buy's "Personal Service Plan" and Sprint's third party insurance, I hope that I have helped to educate someone on the big difference between the two. Bottom line: If one thinks that they might ever drop this device, get the insurance. Good luck all. (p.s. i have had no luck on finding anyone with a replacement screen...)
    It's well worth paying for the Sprint Equipment Protection Plan for this very reason.

I thnk Sprint really needs to wake up and start running a repair program. Imagine all the wasted hardware that gets tossed in the garbage due to their lack of repairs.
    I wouldn't have my T600 if it weren't for Sprint's insurance. I had an anchient LG TP1000 (the first PDA phone). It worked great considering what it was. I had it about 4 years when the screws that hold the case together fell out. I went into Sprint and showed it to them and asked if they could jsut get me a couple of screws...nope couldn't just give me 2 one cent screws...instead they GAVE me a brand new Treo 600. Needless to say, my wife's TP1000 developed a "problem" a few months later. Now we have 2 T600s...all a gife from Sprint's insurance...