1.    #1  
    I bought the OEM 2.5mm to 3.5mm headphone adapter for the T600 so that I could use my favorite headphones when listening to PocketTunes, and then I wondered if I could use that to try hooking up the speakers from my PC as external speakers Pocketunes. Much to my disappointment it didn't work.

Can anyone tell me why it didn't?

Thanks in advance!!
    Do your speaker have their own power source? The Treo headphone jack may not have enough power to drive your speakers.
    I use some line-powered speakers from Sony, connected to the 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter, and they work just fine. In fact, I leave the 600 connected to them all day, listening to music and taking/making calls.
    There were some posts on this a while back, and I think the issue is as NotoriousPalm says, the speakers must not have their own power source. I think. All I can say is, mine are some of those little ones that you can hook up to a portable CD player, and they don't have separate power, and they work <pretty> well. Are they JBL or Creative blasters? Nope. But they can go with me anywhere, without needing power. And they're small and do the job.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousPALM
    Do your speaker have their own power source? The Treo headphone jack may not have enough power to drive your speakers.
    They are Harmon/Kardon speakers that came with the PC system. They do have their own power source, which I made sure was plugged in. I also connected my Treo to its sync/charge cable to make sure I didn't run down the battery. Then I plugged the speaker cable from the external speakers to the Treo adapter, started up PocketTunes, and it played out of the Treo speaker, not the external speakers.

Any suggestions on what I should do differently?
    you should change the resistance of the speaker system.
    There was a topic here a couple of weeks ago where somebody suggested soldering a 1000 Ohm resistor in parallel to the speaker lead. This will trick the treo in thinking you got your headset connected to the phone.
    Another option is to use a splitter and plug your headset in one jack and your speakers in the second. This will have the same effect, but is IMHO not as nice.
    Anyway, the cause of your grief is the resistance of the speakers. The treo doesn't believe you when you tell it you connected speakers ;-)
    water created humans to carry it up hills
    One easy though less than perfect solution:
    Use the two way adaptor but instead of plugging in a set of headphones use a mating 3.5mm plug and add your resistance on the inside of the housing for that plug. I believe you should be able to use a 500ohm resistor from one of the lead connectors to ground and it should do the job. From what I read on these forums I would think the left lead to be the one to use.

This is not perfect as it still requires you to use an additional adaptor but it eliminates the extra headphones replacing them with a very small enclosed plug that will look much better. To top it off, you do not have to modify your speaker or headphone cables to accomplish it, you just have one little plug you can add or remove at will.

I will probably make my own setup eventually. Still trying to figure out if I can get stereo output and still retain mic and button capabilities.
    I ride my motorycle to work a lot and have my helmet wired for sound. I listen to audiobooks while I ride and would like to use the Treo as my audiobook player and still keep the headset capabilities inside my helmet.
    Probably would not be able to talk on the phone while riding as wind noise would make conversation difficult but I would hear the phone ring in my helmet, could click the button and tell them to hold on while I pull over and then have the conversation without having to take off my gloves or helmet.

Nite
    Check out inMotion by Altec Lansing. I use it with my iPod AND my Treo 600. You cna buy it at Apple.com
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I use some line-powered speakers from Sony, connected to the 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter, and they work just fine. In fact, I leave the 600 connected to them all day, listening to music and taking/making calls.
    There were some posts on this a while back, and I think the issue is as NotoriousPalm says, the speakers must not have their own power source. I think. All I can say is, mine are some of those little ones that you can hook up to a portable CD player, and they don't have separate power, and they work <pretty> well. Are they JBL or Creative blasters? Nope. But they can go with me anywhere, without needing power. And they're small and do the job.
    Could you give me the model number of the sony speakers that you use wth your Treo 600?
    Thanks!