1.    #1  
    Is there ANY application besides DTG which would allow me to view PDF's locally?

I desperately have a need to be able to view and then email a PDF attachment from my SD card. I know ReqWireless Webviewer will look at PDFs, but I don't know how to make it look at them locally on the card.

This has become more and more of a critical need. If I can't get this problem solved, I may have to dump my Treo in favor of a PPC-based device which will allow this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamBilly
    Is there ANY application besides DTG which would allow me to view PDF's locally?

I desperately have a need to be able to view and then email a PDF attachment from my SD card. I know ReqWireless Webviewer will look at PDFs, but I don't know how to make it look at them locally on the card.

This has become more and more of a critical need. If I can't get this problem solved, I may have to dump my Treo in favor of a PPC-based device which will allow this.
    Apparently native support for pdfs isn't available for the Treo. Clies come with a program that isn't downloadable (I haven't found it anyways). I have been trying out the emailing of the pdf to adobe and they return it in html (sometimes). If your putting the pdfs on your Treo from the PC then you can use Docs to Go or the Adobe reader. Both will convert the pdf to palm when syncing.
  3.    #4  
    As I understand it, those programs (Adobe and DTG) do a lousy job of conversion.

Actually, viewing is a secondary concern, but as I understand the way the Treo works, to be able to access the files themselves for attaching to email there has to be a program which can look at them. To whit, I have a bunch of PDFs on my SD card, but I can't even see them because I don't have a viewer.

I have some "canned" pdfs. When I'm in front of a customer, I want to be able to whip out the Treo and email them the file, natively, and have it right there.
    Adobe Reader 3.5 does not do a lousy job, it works very well.

[QUOTE=TeamBilly]As I understand it, those programs (Adobe and DTG) do a lousy job of conversion.
    TeamBilly... If you transfer a PDF file from your desktop to the Treo's SD card, without going through the Adobe or DTG sync process, it will remain in its unconverted format. Depending on which email app you're using on your Treo, you can send that file as an attachment. You just won't be able to view it on the Treo yourself without converting it.

You might want to keep two copies on the card, one converted for Treo viewing and one not for sending as an email attachment.
    Agree. I currently have several PDFs on my card that are not viewable as I receive invoices in snappermail and detach them to the SD card. These then synch to my computer or I can forward them on via snapper mail.

Quote Originally Posted by mercer
    TeamBilly... If you transfer a PDF file from your desktop to the Treo's SD card, without going through the Adobe or DTG sync process, it will remain in its unconverted format. Depending on which email app you're using on your Treo, you can send that file as an attachment. You just won't be able to view it on the Treo yourself without converting it.

You might want to keep two copies on the card, one converted for Treo viewing and one not for sending as an email attachment.
  7.    #8  
    Okay. So. It sounds like the Adobe option may be the way to go. Looking at their website, they have a version which I can download for Palm OS. How does the conversion process work?

Also - as far as keeping an unconverted version - if I can't even SEE the file on the card, how can I send it as an attachment? Will Snappermail still know it's there?
    Also - as far as keeping an unconverted version - if I can't even SEE the file on the card, how can I send it as an attachment? Will Snappermail still know it's there?
    You can't READ an unconverted version in the Adobe or D2G apps, but you can "see" it is there as a file existing on the card. So when an email app asks you to specify which file to send as an attachment you can specify your unconverted PDF file when presented with a list of files on the SD card.

TeamBilly, the best PDF viewer for PalmOS is Repligo2:

http://www.cerience.com/products/repligo.htm

Of course you need to convert it first, but it comes out much nicer that DTG. Also, there is no native PDF support for PalmOS yet. Clies support it via Pisel Viewer but it is not available on non clie devices unfortunately. Heck, I haven't even seen a patched version that will work...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I need to sell the family and the house and move to Miami.