1.    #1  
    I have a brand spankin' new (okay, almost 2 weeks old) Verizon t600 and yesterday it started having difficultly reading my 256MB SanDisk SD card. My defunct IPaq has no trouble reading the card, so I'm assuming the problem is only on the Treo side.

What happens is that most apps (e.g., FileZ, ZLauncher) don't see the card at all and CardInfo reports the card is there but doesn't give a size for it. If I reformat the card, everything is back to normal for a little while, but then it eventually disapears again. If I hard-reset my Treo w/o reformatting it, the card also reappears.

So, I'm assuming this is software, rather than hardware related, and I think I've found a candidate for the culprit, namely AvantGo's card sync. I have AvantGo configured for a little over 2mb of downloads to the card, and if that sync is interrupted, the card becomes corrupted. At least, that's my current working hypothesis...

Has anyone else had their SD card become inaccessible like this? Any suggestions? I'm hoping this isn't a hardware problem, because otherwise everything on my treo has been working perfectly.

thanks for any thoughts!
    I think this is software related because I have never heard of this kind of issue before except where the SD cards were being formatted by non-compliant devices such as MP3 players or older cameras. Your AvantGo suspicion sounds right on the mark.
  3.    #3  
    The funny thing is that you'd think this would have happened to other Treo users, and so far, Google turns up nothing in that regard. Am I the only lucky one?

I did find out that some Axim users have had the exact same thing happen and they also attribute it to AvantGo.

It really sucks that one of my favorite apps has to be banished from my treo. All I can say is thank God for iSilo!
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I know some have thought this a bit paranoid, but I would never let a SanDisk card within a mile of my Treo! There were known problems p
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Sorry - my previous post got cut off:

I know some have thought this a bit paranoid, but I would never let a SanDisk card within a mile of my Treo! There were known problems in the past with compatibility of the drivers for these cards on Palm OS devices, and I fried far too many of them for my liking on my previous Tungstens. The word is that the problem is fixed, but IMHO...poppycock! In any event, I now use only Panasonic cards - a bit pricier, but worth it - very reliable. Word is the 1 GB Panasonic cards are due for release in the U.S. shortly.
    amell
  6.    #6  
    Well, it seems that something other than AvantGo is going wrong here. My SD card just disappeared for no obvious reason, so I'm at a loss. Guess I'll have to think about returning my treo unless I can find some other cause...
  7.    #7  
    Thought I'd update this for someday when someone with a similar problem searches the archives.

I ended up hard-resetting, ignoring my backupbuddy archive, and incrementally re-installing most of my original apps from scratch. So far, so good -- no SD problems. I haven't yet reinstalled AvantGo, but I will in a few days.

My working assumption is that some buggy or corrupted app was causing the problem. If it really was AvantGo, then I'll presumably find out after I reinstall it and I'll update this thread.