Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The fact that you have to buy a 3rd party app to turn the screen off while you are in a phone call is just stupid.

Nothing seems to work logically either. (from the ones I've D/Led and tried).

It should be a simple thing - you push a hard button (not a screen button) if you want it off.. and you unlock the keyguard to put it back on...

It makes NO SENSE.

Does anyone know if this plans on being fixed in a firmware upgrade... I just don't see the point of having a 3rd party app for this (as well as a 3rd party app to make MP3s rings.. or to let all your contacts have photo IDs). These seem like very SIMPLE things...
    I agree with you. However, on the other hand, I'm very happy that I was able to get the Treo 600 last October. If we waited for these "flaws" to be "corrected" maybe we don't see it for quite awhile. Also there is no real mp3 software built into the Treo (I'm guessing they found it faster/easier to just make a deal for download of a third-party app than do it themselves), so it might have delayed them significantly to do mp3 ringers.

In my mind this was a version 1 level product. I know some people will point to the Treo 300, but the 600 has cameras, photo sharing, music playing (multiple formats), SD slot, etc. Not everything is going to be perfect out of the box on the first try. The point is that it's better than anything else out there. My feeling is that when something else is better, I'll give them my time of day. In the meantime, these minor annoyances, don't compare to the couple of times that I was able to save my **** by get on the web, email, or SSH.

I quoted the word "flaws" in the first paragraph, because I don't know if you can count not doing something as a flaw. For instance the lack of mp3 ringers, sounds like a missing feature to me. Ditto for lack of ability to turn off the screen (though this is probably a grey area of design flaws).

Now putting a huge antenna next to the SD slot so that say, an FM radio SD card, physically can't fit in is a design flaw in my opinion. Or perhaps creating and SD slot and not allowing it to have enough power for a wi-fi card could be considered one as well.
  3.    #3  
    i do agree w/ a lot of your points, but hanging up on someone or enabling the speaker phone every time I take a call to my ear - is, in my op. a flaw...

the others - I do agree.. maybe lack of a feature... but the first - is really just plain silly.
    A design flaw? Maybe not everyone feels quite as strong as you. I haven't even noticed this as a problem. One of the great things about the Treo 600 is the ability to be on the phone and utilize other functions and apps. More often than not I am reading an email or a document while on the phone with someone. If I have the phone held up to my ear I can't even see that the screen is on, so it doesn't bug me. Even if I have it on speaker, or with the earpiece, I've just never been bothered by the fact that the screen stays on; just means I have quicker access to my Outlook (I have GoodLink on my Treo).

It's funny that you're very upset by this while at the same time I never noticed it. It'll be interesting to see how others weigh in on this issue.
    I have to agree, its like having the space, enter and backspace keys answer the phone, it can be dangerous to leave your phone in your pocked or a ladies handbag. The phone rings and auto anzwers some tight cases also do it. Palmone says it a design feature not a flaw, a pure design feature would have the option to turn on and off.

I develop small programs for the treo but I havenít done anything with turning screen off, If I get some time I will have a go.
    Ron Burgundy : If you download Phone Technician 1.2 from PalmWare.com it allows you to press your lock button to turn off the screen, and then press the lock button, to unlock the screen and turn back on the display. It works great for me.

This program also lets you play MP3s as ringers, and allows you to customize the ringers as well.

Just a thought for you.
  7.    #7  
    i d/led it but when I choose to use the ENABLE SCREEN OFF DURING CALLS.. (which I assume is the feature) - it tells me I have the car kit installed - which I don't... and that it won't work properly..

any idea why this is??
    Have you tried Sandman ?
    I believe that Turning the only dispaly of a phone off completely, i.e. making it like it's doing nothing, would result in far more problems to the average Joe user than you may imagine. How often do you have to look at the phone to see if you have dropped the call? With wireless phones, that's vital. Now phones are designed to be as straight forward as possible. Creative or multi-step UI tricks should not be used.

Even if this is built in just as an option, think of how much confusion this would cause to many a novice user who turns this feature on by mistake (and we know people do that). THAT would be a design flaw.

Also, the talk time is very decent with the screen on, so I think it was a good decision to take this option completely off the table.

Normal phones have reflective dispalys with backlighting, so all the do is turn the backlighting off and you can still see somethin on the screen when they do. Would be a whole different story if the Treo had a display that worked like that.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Well it does automatically dim the screen when you're on a call, but I'd be curious to know if anyone's done any kind of a test to see how much additional battery life is used up from having the screen on vs. off.
    I suspect that it's not nearly as much as you would think, though I have no proof.
    Since I do occasionally need to use other apps while on a call, I think I'd be annoyed if the screen kept shutting off. Although if they made it a toggle-able preference setting, then I guess we'd all be happy.

Bottom line, this is something that's never bothered me; although for the sake of conserving battery life whenever possible, I guess it wouldn't hurt.
    I use TreoGuard and I couldn't imagine using my Treo without it. It works like a charm and it solved all the issues that people have raised here.
    quote from makca:
    "One of the great things about the Treo 600 is the ability to be on the phone and utilize other functions and apps..."

But what about an option to NOT to use the other apps. I believe that's what everyone is complaining about. It's a wonderful feature but what good is the PDA part of the phone when I'm just talking sweet things to my girl.

you also said...

"...If I have the phone held up to my ear I can't even see that the screen is on, so it doesn't bug me. "

I think the problem everyone is talking about is not the screen being ON bugging them, but the fact that sometimes when talking with the phone to your face our cheeks or cheek bones presses on the screen and hangs up the call. It would be nice to have a feature to disable the screen at will.

quote from silverado:
    "How often do you have to look at the phone to see if you have dropped the call?"

This can be rectified with hitting a hard button or having the LED flash a different color when the call is disconnected.
    Treo 600 on T-mobile
    Lexar 256mb SD card/ Agendus Pro/ Backup Buddy/ Documents2Go/ Graffiti Anywhere/ Lightwav/ MovieRec/ PocketMirror Pro/ PocketTunes/ Skinner/ SoundRec/ SplashID/ SplashMoney/ SplashPhoto/ Takephone/ Phone Technician/ ZLauncher
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    No Echelon,
    THe ability to turn the touchscreen off while on the phone is BUILT IN! its an option under prefs keyguard. This option is specificly for what you are refering to!
    Thanx AAron,

I'll check it out. I've only had my T600 for a couple of weeks now so I'm still learning.
    Treo 600 on T-mobile
    Lexar 256mb SD card/ Agendus Pro/ Backup Buddy/ Documents2Go/ Graffiti Anywhere/ Lightwav/ MovieRec/ PocketMirror Pro/ PocketTunes/ Skinner/ SoundRec/ SplashID/ SplashMoney/ SplashPhoto/ Takephone/ Phone Technician/ ZLauncher
    Quote Originally Posted by NoEchelon
    quote from silverado:
    "How often do you have to look at the phone to see if you have dropped the call?"

This can be rectified with hitting a hard button or having the LED flash a different color when the call is disconnected.
    Yes, it could be done but, as a I said above, "creative" and multi-step UI tricks should not be used in a phone interface.
  17.    #17  
    it's not built in - that feature makes it impossible to do anything to the phone.. you can't even hang up the phone! it's an idiotic feature.

you cant hang up, conference or even take another call -
    LOL. Don't people ever read their instruction manuals? You can disable the touchscreen. It's on page 137 of my Sprint Treo 600 Manual. Thanks for making me laugh this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burugundy
    i do agree w/ a lot of your points, but hanging up on someone or enabling the speaker phone every time I take a call to my ear - is, in my op. a flaw...

the others - I do agree.. maybe lack of a feature... but the first - is really just plain silly.
    Why dont you just set your screen preferences to turn the touchscreen off during a call?

Preferences/keyguard:

use the checkboxes at the bottom of the screen:

Disable touchscreen when:

_ Incoming calls received

_ On a call

This should solve your mentioned problems without needing additional software.
  20.    #20  
    because as I mentioned.. if you do that.. you can't do ANYTHING w/ the call.. you can't hang up, you can't answer another call...

unless I am missing something..

and to 6pack - instead of being condesending... how about actually being constructive - it's so much easier.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast