Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Some of you may know me as the creator of the MP3 Speakerphone car kit as discussed in this thread

    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...hlight=car+kit

    I am announcing a new product/ service in development and it is coming along very nicely and will have lot's of potential. It is my USB charge mp3 speakerphone cradle.

    See attached pic.

    It shows an "in the works" modified PalmOne cradle. You can see the 2.5 mm plug that will tap into the Treo's mic and earphone.

    The clunky OEM USB Y cable will be replaced with a single charging USB cable (not shown in pic).

    A switch will allow switching between MP3 and speakerphone with a built in external mic. (not shown in pic)

    A 3.5 mm jack (not shown in pic) will be added to allow connection via an audio patch cable to your computer's line input, or your home stereo line input, or an FM transmitter. If you think my car kit speakerphone sounds great, wait till you hear this one!

    With this setup, you can be in your home or office and have your Treo on the cradle charging all day while having a great sounding speakerphone at your fingertips, using the computer's sound system.

    I'll take more pics as this project evolves. I will be selling completed modified cradles as well as offering my service to modify your cradle if you send it to me.

    Price is TBDTBDTBD. $Who$ $wants$ $one$?
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2. #2  
    That all depends on what TBDTBDTBD $winds$ $up$ $being$.
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
  3. #3  
    I would most be interested in the delvelopments of such!
  4. #4  
    I was just about to build one almost exactly like that for myself. So I'll let you do it and buy from you.

    Let me tell you the application we are trying to use this for. I was looking for a cradle that I could use in my office as a speakerphone (hooked up to my usb port on pc for power and hotsync), also outside hooked up to an fm transmitter (via 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable) to stream pockettunes mp3 and shoutcast streaming to my boombox, and also on my console in my car connected to an fm transmitter streaming to my car stereo (for music and possible (not sure how yet) for car speakerphone).

    Some suggestions on the design:

    - Could you have a standard treo600 female jack in the back of the cradle instead of a usb cable (thus avoiding the dreaded dandles). That way if we are using it outside or in the car, we don't have to have any cables hanging about. If we want it powered, we could then hook up the S&C retractable sync and charge cable (http://store.treocentral.com/accesso...iew.php?a_id=1) to our pc or use the S&C wall or car adapter as well.

    - Could you either provide some way to extend the 2.5mm male audio jack in the cradle to go past the gap if an extended battery is used in the cradle, OR, integrate (and charge more) the extended battery into the cradle, so it can be self powered for a long time and still have the audio jack pass through.

    - Will the audio and mic pass through be in the back (my preference)? Will the audio jack be 2.5mm female (so we can plug handsfree headsets in or 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter in)?

    Thanks for your work on this.

    Let me know if you have any other questions thru PM. Also if you need some testing done.
  5. #5  
    i m in for one. do you have an estimate of the price? i am so glad that someone has strted to make this
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

    Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    A switch will allow switching between MP3 and speakerphone with a built in external mic. (not shown in pic)
    May I humbly recommend a small SP3T or DP3T switch (on-on-momentary on) to add answer-end functionality?

    The most promising prospect I've found is from NKK Switches, their M2027 or M2047 series (3rd page of this PDF file)

    I'm tinkering with this, but I'll gladly cease if I can simply buy one from you.

    tdh
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for your inputs and ideas. I will most definitely consider and implement them if possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by rengelman
    I was just about to build one almost exactly like that for myself. So I'll let you do it and buy from you.

    Let me tell you the application we are trying to use this for. I was looking for a cradle that I could use in my office as a speakerphone (hooked up to my usb port on pc for power and hotsync), also outside hooked up to an fm transmitter (via 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable) to stream pockettunes mp3 and shoutcast streaming to my boombox, and also on my console in my car connected to an fm transmitter streaming to my car stereo (for music and possible (not sure how yet) for car speakerphone).

    Some suggestions on the design:

    - Could you have a standard treo600 female jack in the back of the cradle instead of a usb cable (thus avoiding the dreaded dandles). That way if we are using it outside or in the car, we don't have to have any cables hanging about. If we want it powered, we could then hook up the S&C retractable sync and charge cable (http://store.treocentral.com/accesso...iew.php?a_id=1) to our pc or use the S&C wall or car adapter as well.

    - Could you either provide some way to extend the 2.5mm male audio jack in the cradle to go past the gap if an extended battery is used in the cradle, OR, integrate (and charge more) the extended battery into the cradle, so it can be self powered for a long time and still have the audio jack pass through.

    - Will the audio and mic pass through be in the back (my preference)? Will the audio jack be 2.5mm female (so we can plug handsfree headsets in or 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter in)?

    Thanks for your work on this.

    Let me know if you have any other questions thru PM. Also if you need some testing done.
  8.    #8  
    I do not want to name a price till the product development is finished and I can add up the cost of parts and labor. In the meantime, keep your ideas coming, i.e. what YOU want in a cradle and I will try my best to build it if possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    i m in for one. do you have an estimate of the price? i am so glad that someone has strted to make this
  9. #9  
    Timing. The secret of comedy.I just made four of these as well. The picture is of version 1.0. The next three will be better...

    I'm charging 45.00 for them.

    The internals have the correct impedance for external speaker playback. In my experience, the mic that is in the phone itself is just fine for an semi quiet office environment to operate as a hands free.

    On this version, the only mod is the jack to the phone(with somewhat flexible mount of the jack to compensate for over zealous insertion, the impedance correction, and the external jack(3.5mm)

    Other versions can be arranged.

    chris(at)appliedfx(dot)com
    Attached Images Attached Images
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristoFX
    Timing. The secret of comedy.I just made four of these as well. The picture is of version 1.0. The next three will be better...

    I'm charging 45.00 for them.

    The internals have the correct impedance for external speaker playback. In my experience, the mic that is in the phone itself is just fine for an semi quiet office environment to operate as a hands free.

    On this version, the only mod is the jack to the phone(with somewhat flexible mount of the jack to compensate for over zealous insertion, the impedance correction, and the external jack(3.5mm)
    That is an appropriate price point for me. I'd be interested in this model.
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
  11. #11  
    looks very nice i see the headphone jack on the back as well does this mean you can use a headset as well if so WOW what a great cradle
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

    Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  12.    #12  
    Does the $45 include USB charging? You say the only mod is the jack to the phone. This will allow you to listen to MP3's with stereo earphones. What do you do if you have to make a call? Do you have to pull the phone out of the cradle?

    In my experience, having an external mic versus not having an external mic while the phone is in the cradle is like night and day.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChristoFX
    Timing. The secret of comedy.I just made four of these as well. The picture is of version 1.0. The next three will be better...

    I'm charging 45.00 for them.

    The internals have the correct impedance for external speaker playback. In my experience, the mic that is in the phone itself is just fine for an semi quiet office environment to operate as a hands free.

    On this version, the only mod is the jack to the phone(with somewhat flexible mount of the jack to compensate for over zealous insertion, the impedance correction, and the external jack(3.5mm)

    Other versions can be arranged.

    chris(at)appliedfx(dot)com
  13. #13  
    Any chance we can see a picture of the inside of the cradle?
  14. #14  
    bump

Posting Permissions