1.    #1  
    It seems that whether I press the power button on the top, the contrast button, or alt-contrast (which is keylock), the same exact thing happens. The screen goes off, and when you press any device key, the unit is locked and you press CENTER to unlock it.

So what's the difference between those buttons?
    It looks like you have the keyguard enabled by default. Go into prefs, Keyguard, and disable Auto-Keyguard. Then the buttons should behave differently.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Not trying to be difficult, but it seems that you could benefit tremendously from reading the manual. If you have such questions, you will surely miss a ton of features and shortcuts and just plain not get all the intended benefit from the device.

It's not a "contrast" button. It's called the "screen" button and it is basicaly another power button. Alt-Screen is keyguard.
  4.    #4  
    I have read the manual - sorry for the semantic issue

Anyhoo, assuming I have the auto-keyguard on (which I do), is there any difference in choosing to press SCREEN or POWER to conserve battery power and protect against accidental keypresses?
    Quote Originally Posted by w@ntonsoup
    I have read the manual - sorry for the semantic issue

Anyhoo, assuming I have the auto-keyguard on (which I do), is there any difference in choosing to press SCREEN or POWER to conserve battery power and protect against accidental keypresses?
    no, there isn't any difference. a normal press of each of these buttons will do exactly the same.
    Did you use Profeo today ?