Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am looking to install one of the 2 packages. Before installing I have seen some threads talking about each one both sound equally good. But i still have a couple questions
    1) Is there any bugs with how each work with a Sprint Treo 600 and;
    2) which one works better with ST 600
    I've been using Beyond Contacts for about 8 months and love it. It's syncs all the Outlook fields unlike the built-in Contacts.

Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by jbletheby
    I am looking to install one of the 2 packages. Before installing I have seen some threads talking about each one both sound equally good. But i still have a couple questions
    1) Is there any bugs with how each work with a Sprint Treo 600 and;
    2) which one works better with ST 600
    For what it's worth, I just registered Agendus for my Sprint Treo 600. I didn't try Beyond Contacts, but did use Agendus for the full trial. My only complaint, and I think it's to keep synching compatibility, is that it puts codes into the memo field of a meeting, todo, etc. It's not a big deal, but it makes me think before cutting and pasting meeting minutes from jpilot (linux) into my mail client.
    I have Agendus Pro and wouldn't trade it for anything. I use it every day, all day. The mail app needs some work, but I recommend it wholeheartedly.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    I have had both and settled on Beyond Contacts. Great sync with Outlook and it picks up all the extra fields. They also have, IMHO a great Today screen that gives me access to the programs I use most often.
    After trying Agendus, I decided on Beyond Contacts too. I haven't needed it, but part of my decision was based on better customer feedback re: support. In addition to plusses mentioned by others here, seemless integration with SnapperMail is great -- SM w/ IMAP is better than DataViz's mail app IMO.
    Hi, I just downloaded the demo of beyond contacts. Can you answer one question for me.

> Can you link contacts with ToDo and Calendar items? If so how easy is it to navigate from the calendar/todo item to the contact details.

Thanks,

Mark
    I've tried both and went with Beyond Contacts. Beyond Contacts really is a full seamless outlook solution and is very hassle free. What I like most about it is that it mirrors all of my outlook calendar, contacts, etc and keeps all of that separate from the Treo's built in calendar, notes, to-do, and contacts. This allows me to use beyond contacts for all of my corporate/business info and use the Treo's built in PIM for personal stuff.
    I like that it also supports multiple contact lists (or folders.) I have the company directory as one contact folder, external vendors in another, etc. It all works eamlessly with email clients and caller ID.

It was worth the money.
    I would definitely recommend Beyond Contacts to those that need the ability to sync with Outlook. I actually use both Agendus and Beyond Contacts. Agendus for my personal info and Beyond Contacts for work info from Outlook.
    > Can you link contacts with ToDo and Calendar items? If so how easy is it to navigate from the calendar/todo item to the contact details.

You can link them, but it is sort of a passive link rather than an active link. What I mean is that if you have a contact linked to a task, you can see the name of the contact, but you can not tap or move in any other way to the contact to call them, you have to remember the name, and then go back and look them up.

If you use Outlook, and use a lot of the fields that do not normally synch to the standard apps, then Beyond Contacts is probably for you.

I have tested Agendus as well, and I am testing Datebk5 again. I like the ability to synch all repeating/alarming information for tasks in BC, so I might wait to see if DataViz will continue to add features like the "active" links. I just haven't decided yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlissner
    Hi, I just downloaded the demo of beyond contacts. Can you answer one question for me.

Thanks,

Mark
    mdlissner, yes -- linking them is easy however, I can't seem to get to contact detalis from the calendar/todo item.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I have Agendus and really enjoy it. There is a problem with alarms, however. No matter what alarm tone you choose, you always get the Palm default alarm. A reply from the Agendus folks say it's a known problem on only the Treo 600 and they are working on a fix. Why not try both packages and decide on the right one for you?
    Without trying to hijack the thread, can any of you tell me whether you are able to sync either Beyond Contacts or Agendus through Verizon's Wireless Sync application?

If so, can you provide any comments on it's effectiveness?

As always, TIA.
    Steve,

There is really nothing to sync with Agendus. It uses the built in ToDo, Calendar, and Contact Database and just reformats them for the most part and gives you a ton of possible views.

It also allow for hotlinks from the ToDo or Calendar item to Contacts to the point where you can dial a contact embedded in a meeting or ToDo by navigating to it with the five way pad and holding down the button and waiting for the pop up menu which has the dial option.

With Beyond Contacts you have entirely new databases on the palm side. They do duplicate the Contact DB so you can use it for the phone section and make calls from it.
    mdlissner,

Thanks. I appreciate it. Maybe you can help me further.

My concern lies is with the fact that as silly as it may sound, I really am disappointed by the lack of alarms (reminders) on To-Do's. I can easily rectify this by using Agendus OR Beyond Contacts.

Personally, I LOVE Beyond Contacts. It does everything I want. BUT, since Verizon Wireless came out with their Wireless Sync feature, I am hooked to it (WS). It's as close as I can get to a BlackBerry on a Palm device at this point. Right now, it seems as though WS will sync the Palm default databases by default. You can't change that. This is why I am SOL with respect to Beyond Contacts since it uses it own databases. Personally, If I could disable the WS of the native Palm databases and sync the Beyond Contacts databases, I'd be ok with that. But I can't. At least not in any way that I can tell.

But, if Agendus only uses the native palm databases and doesn't add ANY others, then Agendus might very well be my ticket. But I am under the impression (maybe incorrectly) that Agendus DOES use some form of supplemental database to add on information (like reminders) to the native Palm databases. That's why I was curious if anyone was using either of these apps via WS and whether or not it was working well for them.

Thanks for the info. Any further help is GREATLY appreciated.
    Steve,

Another option for you may be as follows, but it depends on what the purpose of your wireless sync is.

I have a corporate package from Extended Systems called OneBridge which gives me access to my work email behind the firewall. With that it has the ability to sync all of the Outlook databases to my Treo. I choose only to sync my email (Inbox/Outbox) and my tasks with this program. I sync everything else via HotSync on my desktop. Now my Calendar, Contacts, Notes, and Docs to Go.... don't need to be done all that often so it works great for me.

Does VZW Wireless sync give you the ability to choose which conduits to sync and give you the ability to disable some. I would think that it does, as I used the old one for a short time but it took forever. I killed it becasue even with just doing a few things it took too long.

Now I do not think Agendus adds anything, but I could be wrong. You should ask that question on the Iambic forum and see if one of the moderators will answer you.

If you really like Beyond Contacts you may just do that sync via the cradle/cable with standard hotsync with the conduits you do wireless disabled in that situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon20910
    After trying Agendus, I decided on Beyond Contacts too. I haven't needed it, but part of my decision was based on better customer feedback re: support. In addition to plusses mentioned by others here, seemless integration with SnapperMail is great -- SM w/ IMAP is better than DataViz's mail app IMO.
    I have had the same experience as jon20910. Tried both. Went with BC.
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    SteveNYC, if To-Do alarms are your primary consideration, then you may want to look at DateBK5. It does handle alarms for To-Do's, and it uses the standard Palm DB - so it would sync with WS just fine.
    mdlissner and Minsc,

Thank you both. I've checked both of those programs previously. They are both excellent. No question. I'm just being unreasonably picky I guess. Both of them do alarms, but not reminders.

For example, I get so many items on a daily basis (I am a manager in an IT shop) that I need to take care of during the day that at the end of each day, I categories my todo's in MS Outlook and set a reminder for each task at a particular time for the next day (or two). Usually about 30 minutes between tasks. This helps me to not only prioritize but to keep my focused on one thing and only one thing at that moment.

Both agendus and DateBK5 will give me an alarm, but they won't let me select a time. It's only a date prior to the due date that can be used. This is still useful, but not exactly what I was looking for.

Still though, your help is appreciated. It also made me look at two software packages that I had used at one period or another over the last several years. Heck, I remember using Agendus back when it was called Action Names back on my Palm IIIx and always thought it was cool. They've come a long way.

Thanks again folks.

Basically, what I am looking for is Beyond Contacts, but designed so that I can Wireless Sync it just as easily as I can with the native palm contacts using Verizon's Wireless Sync feature. I guess I'll just have to wait....

EDIT: Woooppppss.... Maybe Agendus does do this. Looks like I may have spoken too soon.... Hmmm....
    Last edited by SteveNYC; 08/07/2004 at 11:13 PM.
    Well, it looks like Agendus is going to fit the bill quite nicely.

Personally, I still love Beyond Contacts. It works so well with Outlook that I am disappointed I can't go with it right now. But the functionality I get from using Verizon's Wireless Sync package is too great to ignore (even though it has it's own issues).

I'll have to trial Agendus for a while to see if it clears up all my concerns, but it does look like it will really fill in those few gaps that I still have.

Thanks again to all who replied to my inquiries.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast