Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Okay, so I'm currently with T-mobile but I am considering switching to a CDMA based network to take advantage of the speed increases on the Treo. I know that I've seen people post that Sprint (CDMA) is much faster than T-mobile (GSM), but I don't think I've ever seen anyone post the reason why CDMA is faster.

Also, could someone clear up which providers are going to have 3G and EV-DO?

One other thing I would like to ask is if you guys think it would be worth it for me to switch. Basically, my contract is up with T-mobile and right now I'm paying about $55-60 a month for 600 anytime, unlimited nights and weekends, and unlimited t-zones. This gives me a good amount of minutes (I'd like more) and it also gives me e-mail, web, instant messaging.

One of the other reasons I'd like to switch is because I recently gave my Treo 600 to my brother since he can't get one where he lives, so I'd also like to try to get one at a discount through another provider. Do any of you have suggestions for me? Which provider is the best in terms of pricing, network speed, unlimited access to internet sites (unlike my current tzones, which blocks certain ports and is slow at times)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    do a comparison :

1.Voice plan rates
    2.data speeds (really no competition, sprints kills everyone, but gsm treo600 battery life is better)
    3.insurance rates
    4.reception
    5.data plans
    I got mine through Sprint. It is CDMA and the coverage is good if you pay the $5 a month to get Free and Clear america added to your account. That way you get unlimited roaming nationwide and get the digital roaming coverage area. Without that, the PCS coverage area by itself is spotty outside of major metro areas.

I am very happy with the speed and service with Sprint. They are not perfect, but they have been there to correct their mistakes.

You can get a Tre0 600 from Sprint with a $150 off at the store if you sign a 2 year contract.

Good luck, and happy shopping.

Dan
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how much faster CDMA is than GSM? I know it primarily depends on your coverage and where you are located. What I want to know is if coverage is good on both CDMA and GSM, would CDMA still be faster and if so, by how much? Also, I live in Chicago if that helps at all. Thanks for the advice... I just found out my company has discounts with some providers too .
    I'm not sure if there is actual data on speeds (although this is the group to ask!). You might check http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed to see if they're tracking speeds.
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    CDMA is faster. On average GSM is around 50Kbps. On my sprint I get around 114Kbps located in South Bend, IN which is about an hour away from Chicago..
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Is CDMA more reliable than GPRS? I often find that GPRS reception is spotty, sometimes I can connect and other times I can't connect at all. Speeds also vary a lot on GPRS for me. Are speeds and connections reliable on CDMA?

Also, does anyone use the personal business connection with sprint? I would like to know how it works since you have to install stuff on your computer. Since my computer is turned off and stored every night, would it be worth it for me to get the business connection?

One more question, I used to be with sprint for about 5 years and I absolutely hated their service (after 5 years of being with them I told them I was going to leave and they made no attempt to stop me, this was on top of being horrible at customer support). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can give me current experiences with them that would suggest they have changed. I'm with tmobile now, and though they are decent, I feel like other companies may have better technologies than they do. As always, your input and opinions are appreciated.
    CDMA is much better in the US then GPRS coverage. However, with Sprint, make sure you get the Free and Clear Roaming Pack for $5 a month. Without this, the PCS coverage will not be up to most peoples liking when in suburban and rural areas. As far as reliability I don't think there is any major differences between CDMA and GPRS units. If you are going to be doing lots of travel to Europe, then go with the GPRS since CDMA won't work in most countries because the Treo 600 is only dual band and not tri-band.

I have had very good support and service with Sprint and will be renewing my contract come December. They have the best deals for data usage, and very fast data speeds.

I had used the Personal Business Conection, and it was a waste of money. It is pretty slow, and it costs $15 a month. If you are going to leave your computer off most of the time, its not worth it. Do a search on PalmGear.com for the Terminal Services client for Palm. With that, you can remotely control your PC at home if you have Windows 2000 or XP using the Terminal Services built in.

Good luck with your carrier choice. Let us know how you make out.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    For the roaming pack, will it help me at all if I live in the city? I am rarely in suburban and rural areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgvnsxrated
    do a comparison :

1.Voice plan rates
    2.data speeds (really no competition, sprints kills everyone, but gsm treo600 battery life is better)
    3.insurance rates
    4.reception
    5.data plans
    I agree with this, except:

(1) Reception should be #1. Check it out in your home and work areas. If you don't get good reception in that area, nothing else matters; and

(2) Sprint charges per minute for call forwarding; T-Mobile doesn't.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    The roaming pack definnitely will help you out in the city as well. Take a look at the coverage map of sprint on their website. You will see the PCS coverage, and then you will see the Digital Roaming coverage that is about 10 times the coverage area. It is well worth the $5 a month for free roaming. I live in Atlanta which is a huge city and my phone roams even downtown when the PCS signal is blocked by something inside a building, and the digital roaming strength is much higher.
    Just be aware that when you roam on sprint, no data services work. Because of that I switched from sprint to verizon. Sprint data is cheaper, but I now have great reception in many more areas and their customer support is incredibly good (almost embarrasing after sprint!). Battery life is not as good as sprint, however (and sprint is worse than gsm).
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    As for BCPE (Business Connection Personal Edition) there are a lot of people that use it through Sprint. I would not say it is slow unless your main email service is an ISP or overworked corporate server which is pretty common. It is not for people that cannot leave their PC on though since the nature of it is that it serves as the re-director to funnel your email from the inside to the outside to a web browser or your device. If you have multiple email services it allows you to add a couple from the outside (outside of the desktop connector). The $15 / month covers the data connection for any programs that need Internet access, not just BCPE. I find that handy should I need to browse or lookup something via the device.

Quote Originally Posted by tangfj
    Is CDMA more reliable than GPRS? I often find that GPRS reception is spotty, sometimes I can connect and other times I can't connect at all. Speeds also vary a lot on GPRS for me. Are speeds and connections reliable on CDMA?

Also, does anyone use the personal business connection with sprint? I would like to know how it works since you have to install stuff on your computer. Since my computer is turned off and stored every night, would it be worth it for me to get the business connection?

One more question, I used to be with sprint for about 5 years and I absolutely hated their service (after 5 years of being with them I told them I was going to leave and they made no attempt to stop me, this was on top of being horrible at customer support). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can give me current experiences with them that would suggest they have changed. I'm with tmobile now, and though they are decent, I feel like other companies may have better technologies than they do. As always, your input and opinions are appreciated.