Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    They all seem to have some common uses and some that are unique to ea.

but it seems pointless to have more than one of these programs on my TREO.

Which is most recommended by you guys???
    i decided to take phone technician. it seems to be the smallest and the one without too much poppycock. but now that an mp3 is my new ringtone i am wondering what will happen, once the sd-card has been removed from the treo? is there any way to save and find mp3 on the ram?

cheers,
    matti.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burugundy
    They all seem to have some common uses and some that are unique to ea.

but it seems pointless to have more than one of these programs on my TREO.

Which is most recommended by you guys???
    Of the ones you mentioned, I haven't tried CallShield. I would recommend Phone Technician since it's inexpensive and it complements the Treo really well.

I loved CallFilter, but I couldn't imagine spending $30 for it for screening my phone calls. I'm hoping the upcoming version will have new features that will justify the $30 price.

Lightwav is cool, but I had mixed results with it. It's extremely powerful, but I found that it would lock up or had issues with configuring. I'm too lazy to wipe my Treo clean and install new apps.

All of the software you mentioned have trial versions. Go and try them and see which one you like the best.
  4.    #4  
    i agree trial / error is the best - but I feel like I am soooo late to the party here - I've had my 7135 for several months, and the 6035 for a few years... so I am really playing catch up.. and it's overwhelming!
  5.    #5  
    Is lightwav the only option for picture caller ID???
    Is lightwav the only option for picture caller ID???
    There is built-in picture caller id, but it requires you add the Contact as a Favorites button. LightWav adds the ability to use animated gifs and movies (created through another Toysoft app called Live!) for caller id.
  7.    #7  
    right - and limits it to only 50 right?
    right - and limits it to only 50 right?
    Correct.
    Lightwav also allows you to show the City a person is calling from when Caller ID hits. It never worked for me, but I just like the possibility of seeing the City/Area that a stranger is calling from. I don't know if it does International codes?? But it purports to work for all North America Area codes.

Another way to do research, is to download the documentation for each of the applications you are interested in and read thru them first.

1) If the documentation was easy to read and concise, the developer and the application has great support behind it. ie. Less Treo soft resets.
    2) If you read the documentation, it allows you to see the full potential of the app.
    3) You don't junk up your Treo with installing/uninstalling when what you need to know is in the documentation.
    4) If you do decide to give it a shot, less time troubleshooting when the answer was in the documentation you just read/skimmed.
    Last edited by Sixpack; 08/05/2004 at 11:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixpack
    Lightwav also allows you to show the City a person is calling from when Caller ID hits. It never worked for me, but I just like the possibility of seeing the City/Area that a stranger is calling from. I don't know if it does International codes?? But it purports to work for all North America Area codes.
    you need to instead the area code db or add your own. search the form for "lightwav" the file is posted there.

to get the area code working this is what you do

1. install the area code db or add your own
    2. goto the Video Prefs in lightwav and check "Show CallerID information" checkbox.
    3. select the color you want. do not use white color since the background is white
    4. tap on the "Caller Info..." button and check the info you want to see
    5. tap OK
    6. tap OK to save

the area code only works for North America cities
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    Smiley88-

Where does one get the area code db? Like a complete moron, I have been entering the area codes into the application each time I get a new one that shows up. Any help is appreciated.

-No need to reply. I RTFM. Sorry.
    Last edited by eEditor; 08/05/2004 at 04:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley88
    you need to instead the area code db or add your own. search the form for "lightwav" the file is posted there.

to get the area code working this is what you do

1. install the area code db or add your own
    2. goto the Video Prefs in lightwav and check "Show CallerID information" checkbox.
    3. select the color you want. do not use white color since the background is white
    4. tap on the "Caller Info..." button and check the info you want to see
    5. tap OK
    6. tap OK to save

the area code only works for North America cities
    I have also had problems with the area codes. I did all the steps listed above and it still does not work for me. Also, when in silent mode, the Treo vibrates now for about 1/4 second and then nothing. I've had a few missed calls because of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eEditor
    Smiley88-

Where does one get the area code db? Like a complete moron, I have been entering the area codes into the application each time I get a new one that shows up. Any help is appreciated.

-No need to reply. I RTFM. Sorry.
    sorry the area code db was not completed when 3.0 was released. here is the area code db attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    Quote Originally Posted by boardoe
    I have also had problems with the area codes. I did all the steps listed above and it still does not work for me. Also, when in silent mode, the Treo vibrates now for about 1/4 second and then nothing. I've had a few missed calls because of this.
    how are you putting the treo in silent mode? the sound on/off on top of the phone or in the sound prefs?
    The switch on top of the phone.
    I have CallShield Pro 2.0. I've had it for a few days ($20!) and have had to send various emails to their tech people, back and forth, and I'm still trying to get it to play an MP3 as an announcement "This number does not accept sales calls...." etc. They say it must work with PTunes, which I have installed, but how to get these 2 programs to work together? I'm waiting to hear back from them, again, and maybe someday I will be able to get this program to work as advertised. Has anyone had any luck with this program?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixpack

Another way to do research, is to download the documentation for each of the applications you are interested in and read thru them first.

1) If the documentation was easy to read and concise, the developer and the application has great support behind it. ie. Less Treo soft resets.
    2) If you read the documentation, it allows you to see the full potential of the app.
    3) You don't junk up your Treo with installing/uninstalling when what you need to know is in the documentation.
    4) If you do decide to give it a shot, less time troubleshooting when the answer was in the documentation you just read/skimmed.
    LightWav is the tool for me. The area code option is very nice! The other huge selling point for me was the ability to increase the ring volume of MIDI, WAV and MP3's.

I have had a few problems with the app but nothing really big. The one I am having right now is that I can not play any sounds that are stored on the SD card from the "Sounds" tab within the tool. Only after I attach them to a contact or a Treo event can I "play" the ringtone. Very strange. Now if I the wav or mp3 has been converted to RAM they can play just fine from the "Sounds" tab.

For the $'s, this was a good purchse for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    LightWav is the tool for me. The area code option is very nice! The other huge selling point for me was the ability to increase the ring volume of MIDI, WAV and MP3's.

I have had a few problems with the app but nothing really big. The one I am having right now is that I can not play any sounds that are stored on the SD card from the "Sounds" tab within the tool. Only after I attach them to a contact or a Treo event can I "play" the ringtone. Very strange. Now if I the wav or mp3 has been converted to RAM they can play just fine from the "Sounds" tab.

For the $'s, this was a good purchse for me.
    that isnt suppose happen. you should have no problem playing the sounds from the card. goto the Sound prefs in lwav and do this

1. change the popup to Custom
    2. select "audio" or the folder that have the sounds you
    3. select OK.
    4. now try playing the sounds
    Callshield by www.Mantragroup.com, advertises all these things that CallShield can do, BUT IT CAN'T DO THEM UNLESS YOU PUT OUT ANOTHER (almost) $30 to buy Pocket Tunes Delux!! I am trying to get a refund from these people. Since I used my Amex card to buy it, I will be able to dispute the charge. Makes me hesitant to try another program! What a bore!
    Relax jwarner191, all of this software uses Pocket Tunes Deluxe to play mp3 etc. (although IIRC Lightwav has built in wav player). If you register your Treo with the desktop software you get Pocket Tunes for free, then an upgrade to Deluxe is something like $15.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast