Saw this item in my e-mail in box (Google News alerts). By the the time the Treo Ace comes out, hopefuly this thing will be more refined. The article doesn't mention the Treo, as the GPS device is bluetooth enabled. Just a hunch!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
GPS Navigator by PalmOne
Gadet of the week
By WILSON ROTHMAN
http://www.time.com/time/gadget/20040804/

GPS navigation gets big buzz these days because new systems are more accurate and more affordable than ever. If you already have a PalmOne Zire 72 or Tungsten T3, you can add a GPS kit for $300 that holds its own against much more expensive systems.

PalmOne’s Navigator consists of a Bluetooth wireless GPS receiver (which I call the puck, because of its shape), a windshield mount, the power adapters required to give juice to both the PDA and the puck, and the navigation software: TomTom Navigator for Palm.

One thing that isn’t included is enough memory to hold the maps. Though I had a 64MB card all ready to go, I had to scrounge up a 128MB card to contain the map of the Mid-Atlantic states from New York down to Washington, DC. For a cross-country drive, you might need a 512MB card, which costs at least $100. Of course, if you consider that the competition’s prices begin at $700, this is still within the realm of acceptable.

On the road, the software works simply and well. You input addresses, starting with the city, then the road, then the number. It plots a path and guides you to it. A voice emanating from the Palm’s built-in speaker tells you where to turn, and there’s also an on-screen readout of the name of the next road and the distance to it, along with the remaining time and mileage in the overall trip. The Palm’s directional pad gives you control over volume and the zoom level of the map in an intuitive design.

There are a few areas where I didn’t feel the software lived up to its potential. For starters, it couldn't access addresses in the PDA’s Contacts file. TomTom says this is on its wishlist for an upcoming version of the software. Second, when I would choose to ignore its advice and plug on in a new direction, the software insisted that I turn back, rather than attempt to plot a course based on my new heading.

My third problem was one of convenience: you can’t stitch maps together on your own accord. Instead you have to download maps they’ve already pieced together. In my test, I could get all the way from New York to Washington, DC, but trying to set a destination in Arlington, VA — a DC suburb — was impossible. Of course, I could have downloaded a map of Virginia, then switched over to it, but it would have been nice to use just one map on a single trip.

These are all mild reproaches, compared to the value you get when you spend $300 on the PalmOne PDA and another $300 on the navigation kit. Even if you’re eyeing something more elaborate for your car, you may want to start here, and get used to navigation, before graduating to a device that costs between $1,000 and $2,500.

###