1.    #1  
    I am relatively new to this whole 'push mail' phenomenon and the more I learn, the more I see I can use. Can someone bear with me long enough to explain all this POP and IMAP and server stuff to me? I have a yahoo account and my PCS email account that I would like to access via the integrated mail program, since staying online risks missed calls and for some reason, all of my yahoo emails get cutoff at an undefined point. Can someone clear up these terms and how this stuff all works? Thanks!
    Take a moment and look at Marc Blank's site, http://www.imchatter.com -- it has a bit on it and it has also been discussed here. Very briefly though and not in a complete sense - POP3 is basically designed to normally download and delete that mail from the server. The mail that you download is available only on the device it was downloaded to, be it a PDA or the desktop, et cetea. IMAP though is a bit different. Your mail stays on the server and regardless of where it is viewed from, it is the same mail. How's that? What you see on the desktop is basically the same as the PDA. The advantage of "push mail" is that once mail hits a "push mail" capable system (such as Fastmail), it is then "pushed" on to the device or desktop through an "always on connection," one of the fortes of the Treo series. The data sent to the device can either be the entire message, part of the message, a header, et cetera. In addition to being pushed to the device, it also is retained on the server.

Now, when the mail is deleted from the device or desktop, it is also normally deleted from the server. There are options in some programs to "delete only from device." When the device or desktop is sync'd to the mail server, what is on the server is on the device or desktop. If you use the desktop, you need a mailer capable of IMAP (I use Mozilla). If you use a PDA, then you need an IMAP capable application (I use SnapperMail and Chatter). Chatter is the only Palm application that supports true push mail. SnapperMail supports IMAP in its general format (with push mail in the future).

The discussion goes much deeper, but the above is a brief over view, inaccurate to a degree. Ben
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, Bclinger!