1.    #1  
    Enter your Card Speed and VFSMark results

Instead of a long thread with various results, please submit your benchmarks to the script below, that way we can sort and run stats on various numbers to get some real data.

http://heller.ca/cgi-local/palm/cardspeed.cgi

No stats yet, but once I get some data to work with I'll add that in. Let me know if you run into any problems.

Thanks,
    Mike
  2.    #2  
    I have some basic stats on the page now that there is some data to work with. Looks like the PNY cards are the slowest, and there is a big range in prices.

Mike
    Unrelated but woo another Vancity Treo owner. Which card do you have? I was thinking of ordering the Transcend one giggers from ebay... $240 including shipping compared to $419 at London Drugs.
    Excellent creation, Kazinvan. I've always wanted something easy to read/use like this. The old forum method wasn't incredibly helpful. Good work! Hopefully a lot of people will take the time to enter their data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    Unrelated but woo another Vancity Treo owner. Which card do you have? I was thinking of ordering the Transcend one giggers from ebay... $240 including shipping compared to $419 at London Drugs.
    Donald, the Transcend 45x measured with a GSM on Kazinvan's page is mine. I bought it for $149 on ebay. Hover the entry on the page for the details.
    kazinvan, thanks for the site... tried to post but need to test for cardspeed too. Also I could not get the vendor info, it would not open any link?
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 08/07/2004 at 03:27 AM.
  7.    #7  
    ronbo2000, I want both vfsmark and cardspeed results, doesn't take long to add them. Please add your stats once you get the data, the more we have the better.

What do you mean you can't get the vendor info? If you hover over the link, it should show a tooltip. I will update this shortly with a DHTML layer or just a pop-up window to show all the data.

Mike
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    I have the Sandisk Ultra II 512 MB. Enough space for me, when I ordered the 1GB were too much moeny and I didn't see any Ultra II cards. I wanted good speed. I ordered mine from tigerdirect.ca.

Mike
    Does increased size of the card actually increase its speed? Or are the 1gb Transcend cards made with better technology than the 512?

I had two Sandisk 256 Ultra II's, that both were very fast, go bad on me. So I upgraded to a Transcend 45x 512mb thinking that it also would be plenty fast (more specifically fast enough for audio recording over 22khz). The Sandisk 512 Ultra II was more expensive and I'd had two Ultra II's die on me in a short period of time which was too much of a hassle.

I now notice that all 3 45x Transcend cards match well on the CS write benchmarks. But my card underperforms in terms of VFSMark. Also, the Sandisk Ultra II is blazing on CS write benchmarks.

Anyone have any comments on this?

Using Soundrec, can anyone else with a 45x Transcend card try to record 44khz audio?
    i love my Sandisk U2 512MB, and im glad to see that the benchmark is above average

thanks
    Finally got the time to download and run CardSpeed. Posted results. Cardspeed says CardSpeed is Ok but Avoid > 11KHz PCM? What does that mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by kazinvan
    .... (snip) ... What do you mean you can't get the vendor info? If you hover over the link, it should show a tooltip. I will update this shortly with a DHTML layer or just a pop-up window to show all the data.
    Mike
    Sorry, I did not "hover", I clicked thinking that it would lead me to the actual Vendor site with more information. My mistake.
    Cardspeed is a program made by the makers of Audacity Audio. It was written to test your SD card specifically for its ability to record audio. 11khz PCM is the audio quality/settings you can safely record at without loss on your SD card (although mine says the same and 22khz sounds good on Soundrec)
    Quote Originally Posted by RawsonDR
    Does increased size of the card actually increase its speed? Or are the 1gb Transcend cards made with better technology than the 512?

Anyone have any comments on this?

Using Soundrec, can anyone else with a 45x Transcend card try to record 44khz audio?
    They're both called "45x" which means they're most like the exact same tech, the 1gb just has twice as much. (All other cards here BM the same regardless of capacity, btw, which should answer your speed question) And if it were faster than 60x carsds, don't you think they'd market it as such instead of calling it a 45x? I think that VFSMark=305 is BS; his pda might have been overclocked or have some other circumstances. But that benchmark is very questionable for comparison's sake, especially since everyone else is BMing 512 & 1gb transcends more in the 230-240 range.
  15.    #15  
    Have a look at the latest changes.

http://heller.ca/cgi-local/palm/cardspeed.cgi

New filter, new way to show price, comments, etc.

For treo only stats, view:
    http://heller.ca/cgi-local/palm/card...detail=compact

Mike
    Mike, I've just added my new PQI SD card result to your site.
    Great comparison tool! Lexar 1GB card results added.

Just a suggestion - but the results might be a little more useful if the tests are requested to be run on a recently formatted, blank card. I could certainly be wrong, but it seems that the results can vary depending on how full a card is, especially if it's near max.
    Nice People Suck Less.
  18.    #18  
    jojocat, It *would* be nice if all cards were formatted, however I can't ask someone to format their card if they have a bunch of data on it just to run the tests. Maybe a % full field so you know the state of the card during the test would be useful.

Mike