1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how I could get the little lense for my Treo 600 fixed? It has lots of little scratches and produces images which look a bit hazy and glow around bright spots.

I just put the camera in my pocket by itself normally, so I am not sure how it got so scratched. I used to carry a Casio Exilim camera in my pocket everywhere and the lense never got scratched. It had not lense cover either. But I guess it was slightly recessed, whereas the Treo 600 lense is not recessed much at all.

-Sim

NoisyGecko
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Might sound silly but I'd try gently rubbing brasso (abrasive cleaner) on it with a soft cloth. I managed to get out some minor scratches from my glass watch face; although it took some time. A jeweller recommended it to me.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Might sound silly but I'd try gently rubbing brasso (abrasive cleaner) on it with a soft cloth. I managed to get out some minor scratches from my glass watch face; although it took some time. A jeweller recommended it to me.
    OK, I'll probably try that. I keep wondering what is a good way to remove scratches from watches and lenses. I don't think I would do that to my nice SLR zoom lense, but other less critical ones like the Treo I wouldn't mind trying.

-Sim

NoisyGecko
    or if you have insurance just get a new one
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  5.    #5  
    I tried the Brasso suggestion and it appears to have removed all the visible scratches. The plastic cover for the lense appears to be pretty soft, as it took very little rubbing to get it smooth.

Also, I used Brasso to remove the back-side coating for my glasses. I guess it is an anti-reflective coating which had gone bad. The glasses are much clearer now. I am about to do the front of the lenses because there are some scratches there, although I know it will remove what is left of the UV protective coating.

Thanks for the suggestion, Hicks!

-Sim

NoisyGecko
  6.    #6  
    No, I don't have insurance for my phone. I don't really believe in insurance for much of anything that I can afford to lose. I mean, the insurance companies have to make money, don't they? And there is fraud and abuse of things which are insured.

I have my house insured, and my car, although I should probably take the car off of comprehensive insurance. But I never ever get those other insurance things on TVs or other electronics. Companies like Best Buy make enormous amounts of money because people fall for those.

But I digress... :-)

-Sim

NoisyGecko
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noisygecko
    I tried the Brasso suggestion and it appears to have removed all the visible scratches. The plastic cover for the lense appears to be pretty soft, as it took very little rubbing to get it smooth.

Also, I used Brasso to remove the back-side coating for my glasses. I guess it is an anti-reflective coating which had gone bad. The glasses are much clearer now. I am about to do the front of the lenses because there are some scratches there, although I know it will remove what is left of the UV protective coating.

Thanks for the suggestion, Hicks!

-Sim
    You've gone brasso mad! Glad to be of help noisygecko.....
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo