Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was in a store in the Philadelphia airport that sells wireless accessories.

This store is owned by Palm as the parent company, although they sell accessories for all models of phones.

The manager of the store told me the Treo 610 will be there by the end of the month, and showed me a spec book that confirmed the Bluetooth and Hi-Res Screen. He had said they were delaying the release of the unit since the Treo 600 had not been rolled out to all of the major wireless markets it was targeted for. They wanted to give the Treo 600 some "shelf time" in each market before causing a stir and releasing the 610. Obviously nobody would buy a new 600 when the ACE would be a much better option.

I know there have been lots of promises about delivery dates for the ACE, so no flame wars here. This was just what I was told and shown in the Palm interoffice sales specs.

**** Phone number removed to avoid getting Manager of Store in trouble with Palm. ***

Dan
    Last edited by FollowDan.com; 08/04/2004 at 09:19 AM.
    I called the store and was referred to the main Palm store where I was told they had no information but if they did they couldn't give it out. FollowDan, I'm not doubting what you say but I don't think we will be able to confirm anything by calling the number you provided.

I hope the manager of the store doesn't get in trouble over this but if a bunch of TC folks call them and ask about this, they might.
    Treo 600 on T-Mobile since March 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FollowDan.com
    The manager of the store told me the Treo 610 will be there by the end of the month, and showed me a spec book that confirmed the Bluetooth and Hi-Res Screen. He had said they were delaying the release of the unit since the Treo 600 had not been rolled out to all of the major wireless markets it was targeted for. They wanted to give the Treo 600 some "shelf time" in each market before causing a stir and releasing the 610. Obviously nobody would buy a new 600 when the ACE would be a much better option.
    Dan
    Well, I hope that Manager had good information FollowDan, did he mention anything about what wireless carriers the ACE would be released on first?
  4.    #4  
    I appologize that you were referred to Palm on this one. Maybe the manager there showed me the sales sheet for it out of kindness since I was talking to him about Treos.

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, so if they won't give that info out over the phone, then I appologize for that and will try to remove the number from my original post. I didn't think I was getting any "Top Secret Info" or anything. The manager just pulled out a pec sheet and let me glance at it.

MBEHRINGER: I didn't see any specifics for anything other then "High Res Screen" and "Bluetooth". Other then that, I was told it was very much identical to the Treo 600. Not sure what the camera specs will be, but hopefully it will be very nice to complement the new graphics potential.

-Dan
    I was in a store in the Philadelphia airport called Airport Wireless. They are a cell phone accessorie store that sells everything you can imagine that deals with cell phones.

This store is owned by Palm as the parent company, although they sell accessories for all models of phones.

I know there have been lots of promises about delivery dates for the ACE, so no flame wars here. This was just what I was told and shown in the Palm interoffice sales specs. You can call them yourselves to check if you like. Their number is (###) ###-####.

Dan
    I don't buy it. First off the number you sited belongs to USA Connect (a phone card provider) and they have no affiliation with PalmOne whatsoever. While I have no doubt that the Treo "ACE/610" (whatever) exists in some form or other and is poised to be introduced some time in the future, I question the validity/credibility of your source.

Some airport kiosk manager isn't likely to have that kind of inside information and would more likely tell a Treo aficionado like yourself ANYTHING to get you to come back to the store. Lure tactics like that are nothing unusual (even if unscrupulous).
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 08/04/2004 at 10:38 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  6.    #6  
    Insp_Gadget, like I said, take my info as just an FYI of what I was told and what I saw on the spec sheet. The release date wasn't on the spec sheet, but that was what I was told that yesterday. As I said, no flame wars.

Also, I don't know who owns the phone number, but the parent company of that airport store is Palm. Its not a little kiosk, it is a full sized store. Complete with phones, pdas, accessories, etc.

Please remove the phone number from your reply post to put an end to the calling of the store.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    Some airport kiosk manager isn't likely to have that kind of inside information and would more likely tell a Treo aficionado like yourself ANYTHING to get you to come back to the store. Lure tactics like that are nothing unusual (even if unscrupulous).

Lure tactics or not... I am sure what FollowDan saw and heard was the exactly as he reported.. Hopefully this manager is in the know and did tell FollowDan the planned release date... If not, it is just one more rumor to help keep these threads alive and kicking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    I don't buy it. First off the number you sited belongs to USA Connect (a phone card provider) and they have no affiliation with PalmOne whatsoever. While I have no doubt that the Treo "ACE/610" (whatever) exists in some form or other and is poised to be introduced some time in the future, I question the validity/credibility of your source.

When I called the store they answered "Airport Wireless" not "USA Connect". The other store they referred me to was their "main Palm" store whatever that means.
    Treo 600 on T-Mobile since March 2004
    Insp_Gadget, like I said, take my info as just an FYI of what I was told and what I saw on the spec sheet. The release date wasn't on the spec sheet, but that was what I was told that yesterday. As I said, no flame wars.

Also, I don't know who owns the phone number, but the parent company of that airport store is Palm. Its not a little kiosk, it is a full sized store. Complete with phones, pdas, accessories, etc.

Please remove the phone number from your reply post to put an end to the calling of the store.

Thanks.
    No flames intended... I simply don't buy it. I think it's just more rumor-fanning.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    exciting! dunno the poster's background, but why should he just stir rumours?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Not sure if the manager knew what he was talking about, but I can confirm that that store gets stuff pretty quickly and is a big hype machine for PalmOne. Here's the link for the stores:
    http://www.palmone.com/us/products/w...palmOneretail/

the Philly airport location is supposed to be the "flagship" store, so maybe the manager knows what he's talking about...or he might just be making an personal estimate.
    I don't know why folks are still calling the number after being asked nicely not to. How rude is that. The guy was just sharing infor. There's a lesson here for the unsuspecting next poster. I'm just as interested as the next gadget addict but I can wait and see like most folks here.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  13.    #13  
    Thanks GeekyMom,

Boy do I regret posting this message. All I was trying to do was to let people know that the Bluetooth will definitely be in the new Treo as per a sales spec sheet I saw in the Palm store. Also that I was "told" it would be out at the end of the Month, but like I said no promises.

I only put the phone number in there for someone to independantly verify this info, because I didn't think I was shown anything that wasn't public knowledge by the salesman.

I am definitely going to think twice next time before sharing any "News" on this forum until I can provide a website link to back it up. It only takes one person to spoil the fun of a forum.
    very true, geekymom! this was a nice little update, and then someone had to go blow the foghorn and hardcharge the sprint or palm management. this was probably a subtle bone the guy threw to a customer he realized was a treo fan. dont go get him in trouble, now!! stuff like that stops people from dropping ya any further hints at all about anything! not a smart move. little more tact and consideration next time - a good move.
    Thanks GeekyMom,

Boy do I regret posting this message. All I was trying to do was to let people know that the Bluetooth will definitely be in the new Treo as per a sales spec sheet I saw in the Palm store. Also that I was "told" it would be out at the end of the Month, but like I said no promises.

I only put the phone number in there for someone to independantly verify this info, because I didn't think I was shown anything that wasn't public knowledge by the salesman.

I am definitely going to think twice next time before sharing any "News" on this forum until I can provide a website link to back it up. It only takes one person to spoil the fun of a forum.
    I for one appreciate the info and the post. The bottom line is no matter what....until the device is actually available for sale we really shouldn't worry about it. It's nice to know that someone post the information for the benefit and digestion of all the others.

It's another thing to "flame" based upon speculative information the person that posted it in such a nice manner as followdan.com.

He never stated any of it as hard fact and or go to the Phily store and buy it because the manager would sell it before it's released or some craziness of that.

Nope, simple here is what I saw and was told and that's all we ask.

Keep up the good work followdan.com, I'll keep reading.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Thanks GeekyMom,

You shouldn't feel bad at all. Thanks for sharing your experience. People should be mature enough to take it for what it's worth and not blame the messenger. My only comment would be that it would have been better if you hadn't posted the phone number. Whether people believe you or not, that is their problem, not yours.
    Last edited by silverado; 08/04/2004 at 01:47 PM.
    FWIW, There are two PalmOne stores in the NewYork/Newark Intl Airport (One in terminal A accessible to non-travelers and travelers alike and the other in terminal C, available only to travelers). I checked with a guy at the Terminal A store and he claimed he had no knowledge of the Treo 610. I have yet to check with the store in Terminal C.

One thing of note though -- as most of you are probably aware, PalmOne is essentially rebranding existing wireless stores. The guys running the stores aren't actually PalmOne employees so other than what little info they might get from PalmOne, they know as much or less about future products as you or me.
    go.digital
    Its bogus.

Look for "announcements" some time in October (ie not stock).
    cool, am definitely be watching this space, thanks for the heads up followdan
    I'd be surprised if PalmOne released the next generation of the Treo 600 so quickly after the Verizon's introduction, now a couple weeks old. I'm figuring in time for the Christmas season.
Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast