Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 418
  1. #141  
    ok, this seems to have been a mistake on my part. i was simply trying to shed some light on all the speculation, cause usually, what happens is people start dreaming of all kinds of crazy features short of the kitchen sink, and when the device comes out and doest have wifi/4gb internal memory/1ghz processor etc.. people are gonna cry "blasphemy". all im doing here is giving you guys a hint into the reality that is the next treo. take it or leave it, im not here to impress anyone, nor am i here to get attention.

    i will NOT post pictures or physical proof of my experience with the treo because that would reveal my identity to people who have the power to fire me, so please dont bother asking.

    as a few people have requested that i stop posting, i will comply without further ado.
  2. #142  
    Ok, now we are supposed to feel bad for this guy? He makes a claim he can not back up on an unannounced product. If his employer would fire him for posting a picture I believe they would also fire him for discussing his "experience" and since Palm and Sprint seem to be the major players in this and he seems so privileged in his ability to get hold of a "new" version of the Treo (ie: last weekend) I would also presume Palm and Sprint people monitoring these boards will have him on the carpet Monday morning anyhow and bid him farewell without further ado. So if his tenure with these orgs is tenuous then I believe he should just post the pictures. After all he already breached their trust and and NDA's he may have had with anyone.

    My point Mr Spacehog is this. You provide no proof. You have few posts here so you may be a regular under an assumed nick or you may be someone that is trying to incite people to effect business conditions at Palm, Sprint, Verizon, ATT, Cingular or even to hurt the reputation of Treo Central itself. You are a sad individual if you violate a NDA and you deserve the legal recourse available to those you hurt. If you are just out and out lying you are even more pathetic then I care to think about. If you are just wanting attention then you came to the right place but be forewarned we are not stupid. I am sure from previous posts I have seen Treo Central can tell what IP address postings come from so it would not be to hard for legal authorities under subpoena of court and representing some company like Palm or Sprint to demand from Treo Central to have your IP address and ISP to track you down and deal with you. So if it is the truth prove it, if it is not then go away please and quickly because your postings here will only hurt your career and livelihood.

    Glen
  3. #143  
    gharrod. what makes you believe im even remotely connected to carriers, let alone in the US?

    anyways, people like you are what make genuine "leaks" reluctant to post stuff on sites they appreciate and visit regularly. sure, there are a lot of liars and pretenders out there who exhibit the same behavior as i do, but how does simply accepting what might eventually come to be a lie hurt you physically/emotionally? you seem to have a lot of pent up aggression towards people who know about things more than you do, why don't you just chill, roll with it, and accuse me of being a liar once you have proof? i mean, according to what ive said, youll be able to either a. accuse me of being a lying soab and request that my ip get banned or b. put a sock in it and let people share information freely and without persecution in about a month and a half.. patience is a virtue man..
  4. RobM's Avatar
    Posts
    477 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    #144  
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehog
    gharrod. what makes you believe im even remotely connected to carriers, let alone in the US?

    anyways, people like you are what make genuine "leaks" reluctant to post stuff on sites they appreciate and visit regularly. sure, there are a lot of liars and pretenders out there who exhibit the same behavior as i do, but how does simply accepting what might eventually come to be a lie hurt you physically/emotionally? you seem to have a lot of pent up aggression towards people who know about things more than you do, why don't you just chill, roll with it, and accuse me of being a liar once you have proof? i mean, according to what ive said, youll be able to either a. accuse me of being a lying soab and request that my ip get banned or b. put a sock in it and let people share information freely and without persecution in about a month and a half.. patience is a virtue man..
    His grip is the same as mine, although he expressed it with alot more anger than I did. In either event, the bottom line is, dont put a carrot in front of our faces and always keep it out of reach so that we can never get it. In other words, dont say things like "Man the screen on the Ace looks great and the speakerphone works great after using it this weekend, wish I could share some photos with you but I cant so you'll have to wait"
    This just creates hate towards you and wastes the time of others pissing and moaning regarding what you are saying. I am not saying that you are lying, but stop sticking the perverbial carrot in front of our face only to yank it as we reach for it. Rest assured, you will be hated

    My 3 cents

    nuff said
    rob
    Last edited by RobM; 08/14/2004 at 10:13 AM.
  5. tripm's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #145  
    I enjoy the rumors. I enjoy the possibility of new features and specs. I feel slightly envious that some people here may actually have played with a new piece of technology that I'm eagerly awaiting. i assume some of these leaks are going to be fake -but i am not hurt in any way. I'm not actually going to change my purchasing habits, or switch carriers just because some informant says they assume the ace might come out in another two months...

    ...but basically, even though I'm going nuts trying to find out when the new model will actually materialize, I don't see the harm in any of these posts, and i really can't understand the energy some of you are wasting and anger some of you are projecting.
  6. #146  
    We will know is Spacehog is a liar in about 60 days.

    That said, not posting pics makes it 99 percent likely he is full of shyte. You had it for a weekend and no pics? GMAFB.

    Worried about losing your job and NDAs? Well you didn't worry so much about that when you first posted, so I doubt that concern.

    It's only when you are called on the carpet that you throw up an overly defensive post, then say via con dios.

    But like I said, 60 days will tell.
  7. #147  
    I just want the freakin' thing to come out. That said, if spacehog's telling the truth, cool. If not, I could name five or six people who are still regular posters here, but actually made claims about the 600 last year that turned out to be false. Would I like everything posted about the Ace to be 100% fact? Sure. But you gotta take the good with the bad in life. Keep posting, inside guys. For me, I enjoy listening.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  8. #148  
    Because Mr Spacehog, people like you have been telling us since late May that this new Treo woudl be out in 6 weeks, then August, then September, then October, then first quarter of 2005 and still no one that has ever said they have seen the phone for real has more then a few (less then 10 posts) which leads me to the conclusion you are not who you say you are or you are hiding something. Just the facts sir, that is all we want. If you can't back your claims up with facts/pictures then retreat behind the old "I'll lose my job if I post a picture" crybaby line then I just pointed out to you that Imy belief is you would be easy enough for Palm to track down and take care of based upon your statements so far.

    RobM, sorry if I sounded angry in the post to Spacehog but I am serious in that these goofs are playing games with us. Amazing how these new posters are the only ones who know anything isn't it? Maybe ironic is more the term...
  9. #149  
    Unless you happen to see an advance test model in the hands of some authorized beta tester in, say, a eatery or at a ballgame, you are most likely violating an NDA -- or the FCC -- if you're sharing any ACE information. And, if you're lucky to have seen an upcoming handheld, you would hardly be able to tell much in the way of solid technical specs from that glance.

    The original post of rumored ACE details here on TreoCentral was a leak of information under NDA -- and I assume that's why it was pulled. So, any type of meaty information on upcoming models is most likely coming from people that shouldn't be sharing at all. That said, those that read and comment on the rumored devices are perpetuating the violation of trust and the breaking of business agreements. You can't take a moral stand about the sharing of NDA information if you race to read it when it's posted. That's like people complaining about the pornography that's playing from their DVD player -- it's hypocracy.

    Personally, I am always tempted to want to know what's coming up -- I have a mean case of gear lust and make early adopters look like luddites -- but, I'm always feeling a bit uneasy in having found out about new gear that I have no right to know about. Maybe there should be a gentleman's agreement between enthusiast site owners not to allow the posting of rumored devices. After all, it would be the "right thing" to do now, wouldn't it?

    There have been discussions on other sites recently about HP's "Evangelist Program" which asks site publishers to remove references to rumored and leaked information on HP products in exchange for advanced access to hardware for day-of-release review posting and such. Most publishers are forgoing that access because they don't want to censor their forum posters. In other words, they forgo doing what's right for fear of offending their membership and possibly lowering readership in the process.

    I think it's wrong the way some members here are attacking other members because of their post count. Sure, there are people that are going to come in and stir-up the pot with false information just to get some weird twisted delight. But, there are others that, are right on target with their comments and information. Just because their post count here isn't more than a few posts, they are dismissed. Maybe they have two usernames -- one for their mainstream posts and one they use for the posts they really shouldn't be making -- violating an NDA or other inside information. I have been active in the PDA posting community for years, been published in magazines and even edited a site for a time, but my post count here is low as TerpFan. I've chosen to distance myself from my old online persona of SuccessWizard and had been playing with new names when I picked TerpFan. I've since settled on MikeUnwired and, in the case of one or two sites, asked the management to actually edit my SuccessWizard account to reflect a new screen name. (People gave me TONS of grief over using SuccessWizard as a screen name telling me it sounded pompus and arrogant, so I changed it when my domain name came up for renewal.) As I don't count credibility and value based on post counts, I have more often just created the new screen name and abandoned the old.

    I can assure you of two things, regardless of my post count or my inside knowledge of the industry. First, there will ALWAYS be a new, bigger and better piece of hardware on the drawing boards. Second, there will ALWAYS be things that get leaked and things that don't. Those immutable facts of life stand the test of post counts and screen names just fine...
    ----------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl

    Handheld Evangelist
    Sprint Treo 600

    From The Mind of Mike...
  10. RobM's Avatar
    Posts
    477 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Because Mr Spacehog, people like you have been telling us since late May that this new Treo woudl be out in 6 weeks, then August, then September, then October, then first quarter of 2005 and still no one that has ever said they have seen the phone for real has more then a few (less then 10 posts) which leads me to the conclusion you are not who you say you are or you are hiding something. Just the facts sir, that is all we want. If you can't back your claims up with facts/pictures then retreat behind the old "I'll lose my job if I post a picture" crybaby line then I just pointed out to you that Imy belief is you would be easy enough for Palm to track down and take care of based upon your statements so far.

    RobM, sorry if I sounded angry in the post to Spacehog but I am serious in that these goofs are playing games with us. Amazing how these new posters are the only ones who know anything isn't it? Maybe ironic is more the term...
    I dont mind that your angry...I am angry in a sense as well...everybody express's themselves differently, and your entitled to be angry so no problems here.

    rob
  11. #151  
    TerpFan, it is not people that are up front and honest about things that we are concerned about. It is the ones that are here to decieve that are the targets of our scorn. If they have more then one screen name and are posing as two different people I have to question their motives. Personally I can not figure out one situation where it makes sense to do so if you are moral in your pursuits. Remember your real identity is hidden in the first place behind your screen name unless you choose (as I do) to make your screen name reflective of your real name.

    Glen
  12. #152  
    Quote Originally Posted by TerpFan
    That said, those that read and comment on the rumored devices are perpetuating the violation of trust and the breaking of business agreements. You can't take a moral stand about the sharing of NDA information if you race to read it when it's posted.
    I find this sentiment to be very disturbing. Do you read newspapers where reporters report news from reliable sources? Do you think the people reading these newspapers should shun these articles because a violation of some sort of NDA was involved in the reporter getting the information?
  13. #153  
    I made a feeble attempt to match known false-rumor mongers to our friend spacehog. For what it's worth, tpinfo4, the perpretrator of the Bluetooth card hoax, last posted in June. Spacehog appeared for the first time in July. Is there a connection? Who knows? I'll leave it to Miradu to look for matching IP's.

    I would offer this advice/request to those with "information" about upcoming devices: Please don't tease the monkeys. We are all hungry for news about the upcoming Treo. However, even if the big boys at PalmOne have taken you in the back office and let you make a call to Mars with the New Treo 66666666, if you can't substantiate it, and you can't tell more than that you've seen it, do us a favor and keep it to yourself. If you are afraid of losing your job, or your friend's job, or your cousin's brother-in-law's aunt's mother's brother's uncle's job, then just say no. Don't post teasers. It doesn't help, and it really just makes a lot of folks upset. If you need to be a "BIG MAN" by posting some lame rumor here, then I really feel sorry for you. 'Nuff said.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  14. #154  
    great idea
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

    Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  15. #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    I find this sentiment to be very disturbing. Do you read newspapers where reporters report news from reliable sources? Do you think the people reading these newspapers should shun these articles because a violation of some sort of NDA was involved in the reporter getting the information?
    Yes, I do. That's why I generally don't buy or read the National Enquirer, but I do read The Washington Post. The editorial and reporting ethics are higher with the Post. I'm not saying that they are perfect, but they are consistantly better.

    Unless the report is outting some sort of wrong or generally for the public good, then yes, I think reporting of inside corporate information is unethical. You can hardly put reporting the cover-up of, let's say, the dangers of smoking and the development of a new PDA on the same level. A reliable source that tells you of the addition of dangerous drugs to tobacco to enhance the addictive nature of them and the addition of ten new features to a smart phone, on the same level. The sources may be equally reliable, but one is news and the other is, in my estimation, not.

    For instance, when Jeff Hawkins held the Treo 600 in his hand for that publicity picture in the spring of 2003 -- that was news and reporters had the right to pounce on it and flesh it out. Hawkins may have even wanted the press to jump on that glimpse (see the Business 2.0 article on the Buzz campaign for the Treo 600 from earlier this year.) However, when a Sprint PowerPoint deck gets leaked from a source under NDA, that's not news it's the unethical sharing of inside corporate information. The public good is not served by the unintentional outting of an upcoming product.

    If a Governor is being blackmailed because of a gay affair -- reporting the details and such are in the public good. It has material effect on the citizens of his state. If I'm in the market for a new smart phone today and palmOne has a new unit in the wings for mid fall, I might be effected by the lack of knowledge about an upcoming unit, but, I don't have the right to that information in the same way as I do the Governor's affair information. I have to always make my purchases with the assumption that every company is always working on something new, but I shouldn't ever have to assume that my Governor is being blackmailed. They are just two different situations entirely.
    ----------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl

    Handheld Evangelist
    Sprint Treo 600

    From The Mind of Mike...
  16. #156  
    BTW, don't get me wrong. I think people that come here and post knowingly false information are definitly in the wrong and should find themselves on the other end of a flame thrower. You just have to watch that you're not too quick to dispatch a member as a liar -- especially when it comes to things as inexact as telling the future from a couple of stray facts you might come across.
    ----------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl

    Handheld Evangelist
    Sprint Treo 600

    From The Mind of Mike...
  17. #157  
    Quote Originally Posted by TerpFan
    For instance, when Jeff Hawkins held the Treo 600 in his hand for that publicity picture in the spring of 2003 -- that was news and reporters had the right to pounce on it and flesh it out. Hawkins may have even wanted the press to jump on that glimpse (see the Business 2.0 article on the Buzz campaign for the Treo 600 from earlier this year.) However, when a Sprint PowerPoint deck gets leaked from a source under NDA, that's not news it's the unethical sharing of inside corporate information. The public good is not served by the unintentional outting of an upcoming product.
    Public good? huh?

    I as a public feel my end is served nicely given more information to make my future purchasing decission.

    Is that condition good for P1? Who knows. But P1 isn't the public. And frankly, P1 is a corporation and it doesn't have inherent 'goodness' to the public. It will fsk you in the *** hard if they can get away with it.

    So let's skip the high horse corporate apologist talk. That company has lied to public more often than you care to know. Where is the 'public goodness outrage then'?
  18. wahili's Avatar
    Posts
    622 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #158  
    i dont know about anyone else but now that i have my 1 gig card and i found out about pocket DVD im just really freakin out waitin for the Ace.... soon i can put 45 episodes of Family Guy on my treo and watch it in crisp clear wonderment. Mobile Peter Griffin after all the main reason to buy a treo. ^_^
  19. #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    I made a feeble attempt to match known false-rumor mongers to our friend spacehog. For what it's worth, tpinfo4, the perpretrator of the Bluetooth card hoax, last posted in June. Spacehog appeared for the first time in July. Is there a connection? Who knows? I'll leave it to Miradu to look for matching IP's.

    I would offer this advice/request to those with "information" about upcoming devices: Please don't tease the monkeys. We are all hungry for news about the upcoming Treo. However, even if the big boys at PalmOne have taken you in the back office and let you make a call to Mars with the New Treo 66666666, if you can't substantiate it, and you can't tell more than that you've seen it, do us a favor and keep it to yourself. If you are afraid of losing your job, or your friend's job, or your cousin's brother-in-law's aunt's mother's brother's uncle's job, then just say no. Don't post teasers. It doesn't help, and it really just makes a lot of folks upset. If you need to be a "BIG MAN" by posting some lame rumor here, then I really feel sorry for you. 'Nuff said.
    This is why there is only one Dalai Lama
  20. #160  
    man, you guys dont stop. im shutting up now, even the most absurd and assumption filled retort will not bring me back. ill just drop by for a "told you so" in october, until then, keep guessing guys..
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions