Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    not sure what you mean pete...I am plenty calm.

don't overestimate the intelligence of senior mgmt of Palm...they have pretty much taken a market leading company and market share and ran it into the ground.

Happens all the time...see Apple for example. Sure, the iPod is great, but how long will that last?

anyway, to be in the electronics market, and claim it is not seasonable make you either a moron or a liar. I submit that Palm execs are lying to make sure wall street doesn't pound the shyte out of the when Q4 sales are short.
    Only time will tell.....
    OK...not one to fan the flames...but...if you go to the Treo products page on the PalmOne site...there is a short video. The filename of the video is Treo_600_650.wmv

Just thought it was interesting.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    OK...not one to fan the flames...but...if you go to the Treo products page on the PalmOne site...there is a short video. The filename of the video is Treo_600_650.wmv

Wow, it sure as heck-fire is.
    SeldomVisitor said:
    Not likely. The wording of the 10k essentially says "carriers sign contracts commiting them up-front to certain purchases; we have $86 million of those commitments".

If you would like to claim that is NOT what they said, please support it with something other than fond wishes.
    Dude, I wasn't trying to claim anything, I was asking an honest question to which I didn't know the answer. Chill out.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor

(and for those with the ad hominem attacks - go **** yourself and leave - we're having a discussion about PalmOne and the TREO here, not posters. Tenkuveddymuch)

Temper temper!
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Just using common sense, I'd be VERY surprised if a new model Treo doesn't come out this year. The HS engineers (many of them are still at palmOne) have had a long time since the release of the 600 and of course they have not been sitting there twiddling their thumbs. Heck, at the time of the release of the 600 HS exectutives talked about new models well into design and I had no reason to doubt that (because any technology company has to operate that way). From day one, this was supposed to be a line of products, and, again, there is no reasonable reason to doubt that.

I agree with BigTex that the 600 will remain as part of the offering as a lesser model; many of us know it's a damn good device and can serve many people's needs. Some people will shell out more for the higher res and the BT.

I agree with SeldomVisitor (a rare occasion) that the price of the new model will be the same as that of the 600 when it first came out and the 600 will be lower, as it is drifting now (maybe around $350).

Finally, as a consumer, I am very happy with the information that palmOne is giving. Whatever information may be lacking from palmOne for the investment circles (if any), it seems that the market doesn't have a problem with it judging by the stock price and its recent steady rise, which I'm happy to say that I rode a couple of times for a nice and easy profit based on my first hand experience with an absolute winner in my hands.
    Last edited by silverado; 08/09/2004 at 01:17 AM.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehog
    hey guys, just to quell things over a little, the treo650 WILL be coming out this year. check my posts over at mytreo.net. the us carriers will start offering them around october early november, and orange uk will follow suit shortly thereafter. stop theorising and contemplating possibilities. what i said is FACT, now let's talk about what we're going to do with the beautiful 320x320 display.... :0
    Spacehog,
    Not to say that you are speaking the truth or lying, but it seems that all the people that appear to be in the new about future release of products always appear to have fewer than 5 posts in this group...now why is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado

I agree with SeldomVisitor (a rare occasion) that the price of the new will be the same as that of the 600 when it first came out and the 600 will be lower, as it is drifting now (maybe around $350).

And, for the benifit of the new-comers here - what would that be?

600?

(yikes!)
    Quote Originally Posted by megaphone
    And, for the benifit of the new-comers here - what would that be?

600?

(yikes!)
    List price is still $599 for the Treo 600. I would guess that there would list price reductions on the Treo 600 before the release of the new model and the Ace will take the $600 spot.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    List price is still $599 for the Treo 600. I would guess that there would list price reductions on the Treo 600 before the release of the new model and the Ace will take the $600 spot.
    You appear to be quoting the Verizon price, where as I have att and the current price after rebates is $349.

rob
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    You appear to be quoting the Verizon price, where as I have att and the current price after rebates is $349.

rob
    I was quoting LIST price, not price after rebates. It turns out it's worse than that, on average. Here is the list prices for the different carriers from palmOne.com:

AT&T: $549
    Sprint: $599
    Cingular: $699
    T-mobile: $699
    General GSM: $699

You can see these by going to Buy Now and saying that you want to keep your existing plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehog
    now let's talk about what we're going to do with the beautiful 320x320 display.... :0
    Absolutely!! I can't wait to see its screen showing FOUR TIMES more data and tens of thousands more colors. If we're wowed now with what we can accomplish with the Treo, it would be heaven then!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    PalmOne's comments about sales not being seasonal is a complete lie. Anyone with basic economic knowledge knows that at least in the US, 30-50 percent (or more) of revenue comes from seasonal sales.
    I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "seasonal" but I will say that I personally don't feel like cellphones sales are impacted nearly as much as other types of electronics around the Xmas shopping season. This is just my hunch, I have no hard data. But here are my reason:
    1) Cellphones are like puppies. When you give someone a puppy, you're not just giving them the puppy, you're giving them the burden of taking care of it. If I give someone a cellphone as an Xmas gift, they can't typically make use of it unless they sign onto a 1-year (or longer) cell phone contract.
    2) The price of cellphones are expensive without a contract. I can't sign the contract for you, so if I buy a cellphone for you as a gift, I have to pay full price. This is even moreso with the Treo 600 which is among the more expensive cellphones.

So who is buying cellphones? I buy it for myself or someone might buy one for their spouse (and usually after their spouse makes it clear which model they want - so it's not much different than buying it for yourself).

So if I'm buying a cellphone myself, there's another reason why the holiday season might not have a major impact on sales...

3) I can't easily buy a new phone until my current contract is up. Unless I signed onto a contract for my last phone around the holidays, the day I'm eligible to switch to a new cell phone won't be around the holidays.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike

Not to burst anyone's bubble (I want to see the Treo Ace/650 released as much as the next person ), but...If you choose to download the video (highest quality), the name of the file is Treo_600_650. If you choose to stream the video (basic quality), the name is Treo_600_300. So, maybe the second number refers to the video quality???
    Never argue with an *****; people watching may not be able to tell the difference. - Author unknown
    The whole "seasonality" discussion needs to be kept in context. The language in the 10-K was written by palmOne's financial people, not the marketing or product development teams. It's in palmOne's 10-K because their lawyer looked at their financial results and then said to the accountants, "I need you to write an explanation of why Treo sales trends are different from the sales trends for other products." So they did. They probably consulted with the marketing department, but the accounting/financial department wrote it. (How do I know? Because this is what I do for a living.)

The 10-K does NOT say that sales are not seasonal. To the contrary, it says that the handheld computing business is indeed affected by holiday seasonality, that handheld computing revenues go up when distributors and retailers purchase product in anticipation of the December holiday selling season, and that they typically introduce new products in the fall and in the spring. But, FOR TREO SMARTPHONES ONLY, they go on to say that they haven't seen the same seasonal variations that they have with other products. Wow, that's a shock. You mean that some of their products are more seasonal than others? You mean palmOne is just like lots of other companies?

The language in palmOne's 10-K is simply lawyer-speak for "Treo sales are seasonal, but not as seasonal as lower priced products, and we're not exactly sure why (although we have some pretty good ideas)." What does this mean to the Treo user community? Nobody knows. palmOne might not even know.
    Here is a cool trick... type in www.treo650.com and see what happens. palmOne owns Treo650.com...hmmmm, seems I have stumbled onto a pieceof the puzzle. By the way, yes, the page shows the current Treo 600...
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Here is a cool trick... type in www.treo650.com and see what happens. palmOne owns Treo650.com...hmmmm, seems I have stumbled onto a pieceof the puzzle. By the way, yes, the page shows the current Treo 600...

hmmm, confirmation of new name?

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Bring it on, babeee!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad

Sorry it's a redirect!

As much as I would love for this to be true, treo650.com is in fact owned by...

:snip:
    Domain Name.......... treo650.com
    Creation Date........ 2004-05-14
    Registration Date.... 2004-05-14
    Expiry Date.......... 2005-05-14
    Organisation Name.... Alexandra Norkin
    Organisation Address. 43 colburn rd
    Organisation Address.
    Organisation Address. Wellesley Hills
    Organisation Address. 02481
    Organisation Address. MA
    Organisation Address. UNITED STATES