Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    So you quote me regarding what's a fact/opinions and then say P1 doesn't know how to a model with new OS and wifi as fact? Anyway Ska, weren't you the one saying last year that no one buys pdas, no cares about smartphones, thumbboards suck and aren't as good as SIP, Treo 'chicklet' button would never catch on, Treo 600 would fail, Mpx200 was gonna destroy Treo etc?! LOL! HA, I particularly liked the last once since the MpX200 was such an abysmal failure compared to the Treo. But go ahead, predict away...
    P1 doesn't know how to do WiFi/BT/phone period. You can bet your shiny dime on it. They are about 6 months to one year behind.

thumboard doesn't fly in PDA. Case and point h4300. Care to show number indicating T|C is even moving? thumboard on treo600 is a big gimmick.

now, let's wait how the h6300 is doing. afaikafaikafaik, $it$'$s$ $doing$ $pretty$ $good$.

The question you have to ask: what will P1 do for form factor after adding larger than 2.5 inch screen? (hi-res at 2.5 inch+garnet doesn't count, that's same difference) Wanna bet p1 won't be able to do candybar form factor with larger screen?

mpx 200 is dead, because AT&T is dead. So what. Cut the lost and move on to next salvo. Meet C500 and mpx220. If those fail, make more advance model and push it again.

wanna bet who gonna win the marketshare in the end?
    It's not going to be treo, I can guarantee. Orange doesn't seem to be that hot on treo600...

Man, you're talking to the wrong dude... Who heck buys PDA's anymore anyway? (Oh yeah...maybe me if can get the 720 ) P1 future lies in whether they can knock the socks off on the next Treo, that's what will bring back the excitement, assuming there isn't already enough surrounding the Treo. Regarding the Tungstens, P1 could certainly suprise as well since HP recent lineup isn't exactly exciting anyone anyway...
    P1 doesn't know how to do advance PDA, it's that simple. That's why you want to believe P1 spin that PDA is dead. Everybody else is growing and still pounding away, churning ever more advance models. After CE5.0, POS is not even a noticeable factor anymore. It'll just wither away. CE 5.0 will go against PSP.

TungstenT3? the last P1 great hope? lol. Does it stop POS slides? does it stops PPC gains? Does the SD wifi out yet? ...come on you are killing me.

In the mean time, Asus is squeezing VGA plus dual slots/dual wireless in smaller volume than T|T3. HP has a 4inch VGA. And Motorola shows MPx.

by the time T4 is out with patched cobalt, PPC will have Wimax, built in HD, built in GPS, and dual slots. and own 60% of market share. Remember T|T? During its lifespan, HP releases h1910 and h2210. Both squash POS and finally kills Sony. Pos goes from 60% to about 40%

Now you know things like mpx and h4700 are miles ahead than anything P1 can pull. P1 doesn't have the screen, doesn't have the CF capability, and doesn't have dual wireless worked out yet.... Heck, P1 doesn't even know how to do replaceable battery.

so please... don't kid yourself. Just bent over and get more spanking already.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTREOB
    You doom boys are a joke! aka seldomright.

Analyze the damn device all you want, in the past 6 months pone has contracted with every major carrier. It is that fact that will affect sales and not a missing wifi feature.
    The street doesn't give a rats *** about wifi. Carrier contracts are a different story. It's in large part why the stock is up 351% since 1 30 04 or a cool 27000$. Keep up the great work doom boys. You've been consistant. By the way, you wouldn't happen to have any other predictions I could go opposite on would you?

oh, another one of those...
    who needs WiFi crowd.

We'll see if WiFi is a killer feature or not.
    I got the feeling WiFi feature is a seller.
    Truly, I can't stand to see this B.S. If you really think this why are you wasting your time here with us heaven? Lets look at a few of these tidbits of wisdom:

...thumboard doesn't fly in PDA. Case and point h4300. Care to show number indicating T|C is even moving? thumboard on treo600 is a big gimmick.

Oh, please. One of the major factors for the Treo is the thumbboard. You clearly don't get it. IT'S A PHONE! I really love trying to dial with a stylus (and yes I've owned Pocket PCs in including the first phone edition from T-Mobile)

...now, let's wait how the h6300 is doing. afaikafaikafaik, $it$'$s$ $doing$ $pretty$ $good$.

Yes, it's not even the release date, and it's doing pretty good. Where do you get these fantasies? Let's see in two months how many T-Mobile sells. I'm willing to bet not too many. I've checked one out at a store and while my technolust wants the bluetooth and wifi, the big form factor and clunkly windows apps just leave me cold.

...The question you have to ask: what will P1 do for form factor after adding larger than 2.5 inch screen? (hi-res at 2.5 inch+garnet doesn't count, that's same difference) Wanna bet p1 won't be able to do candybar form factor with larger screen?

Again you don't get it. They won't be doing a larger form factor. Let's say this all together kids, "IT'S A PHONE". I feel better how about you?

...mpx 200 is dead, because AT&T is dead. So what. Cut the lost and move on to next salvo. Meet C500 and mpx220. If those fail, make more advance model and push it again.

Let's see, AT&T was the only one dumb enough to pickup the mpx200. Maybe that same brillance is what caused them to fail? Nope, the problem must be something other than a crappy device right?

....wanna bet who gonna win the marketshare in the end?
    It's not going to be treo, I can guarantee. Orange doesn't seem to be that hot on treo600...

Yes, I guess that's why Orange signed up to be one of two original partners for the Treo 600 launch and have said positive thing about the device right?

You really need to get your medication checked. There isn't anyone who thinks that the PDAs are going to take marketshare from the smartphones. And you can't seem to notice the number of PDA manufacters have been declining. Really, please go spend your time somewhere else, OK?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb
    I'm new to this board, but thought I would add to the Treo Ace/650 rumors.

I spoke with a rep at a local sprint store who said he recieved the new rebate forms and the Treo 650 was listed on it. He didn't have any information on a release date, but that must mean it will be soon.

Cool! Tx for the info mtb. Btw, did you ever ask how much of a rebate was listed for the 650? That would pretty interesting info imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    slow as hell? lol
    you are making me laugh. True enough it's not the fastest among the top PPC runner with 600+mhz, but the h6315 is about as fast as old iPaq.
    You mean as fast as 3600?1 Umm... yeah no thanks. C'mon even most ppc fanboy are saying they're gonna pass on this in favor of XDAIII...now that's a different story...
    Which mean sure as heck faster than treo600. (ie. full screen video run at around 18fps, simple multitasking, mapping, etc are all faster than treo600 can ever hope for)
    Ska, since you don't own a pda , I'll fill you in. Treo600 has the same proc as Z71 which is pretty zippy overal palmos pda. Video playack is pretty good on mmplayer and mapping fnc is decent too imo..
    can the treo 600 print word documents directly via BT? (yeah let's see if that's even possible)
    The Ace/650 can!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    P1 doesn't know how to do WiFi/BT/phone period. You can bet your shiny dime on it. They are about 6 months to one year behind.

thumboard doesn't fly in PDA. Case and point h4300. Care to show number indicating T|C is even moving? thumboard on treo600 is a big gimmick.
    LOL! Ska, you still in thumbboad denial? Haha...that's ok. At least you stick to your sinking position regardless! Thumbboards are catching on all wireless devices. The h4300 didn't sell cuz it was damn ugly banna boat that no one wanted to carry. That was purely result of asinine design failure. If it had slider keyboard, hinge, clam shape etc, it would have done better...

Anyway, P1's wifi offering general is absolutely pathetic if not disgracefull. WTF only offer one wifi model over 18 months ancient? That makes no sense to me whatsoever and makes me truely sad Sony left the pda business b/c this one area where they actually filled a void. Anyway, I've already said it once and I'll say it again, we won't wifi enabled or tri-wireless Treo until Cobalt is introduced into the line which is essential for multiple wireless connectivity support. I think P1 probably has someting in the works for 2005 (high end)...Heck maybe by then the MpX will ship!

Btw, how's P1 behind with the Treo when they leading market segment with the hottest device (NA)? It seems like it's the competitors that are still catching up... btw when is that Mpx coming?

The question you have to ask: what will P1 do for form factor after adding larger than 2.5 inch screen? (hi-res at 2.5 inch+garnet doesn't count, that's same difference) Wanna bet p1 won't be able to do candybar form factor with larger screen?
    Actually, Ska brings up an interesting question. What kind of design variations will PalmOne release to expand upon the Treo line beyond the current segement. In fact, Brighthand recently posted an interesting Editorial about the need for P1 to release a low cost Treo. I actually tend to agree with this premise and posted a few mockups in the thread over there made by other users (I posted mockup at attachments below . Credit to Livefaith and JakeE}. I think P1 would be wise to release cheap phone more phone like devices with numeric keypad as well as perhaps clamshell or flip twist features. The more models the merry imo!

mpx 200 is dead, because AT&T is dead. So what. Cut the lost and move on to next salvo. Meet C500 and mpx220. If those fail, make more advance model and push it again.
    HAHA! That's funny. Blame the Mpx200 failure on the wireless provider instead of boring, uninteresting design. If you were sooo wrong about the MpX200, what makes you so credible now? Oh...I forgot who I was talking to!

wanna bet who gonna win the marketshare in the end?
    Wrong, Orange is Tier 1 P1 vender and also part of Palm Powered Mobile World Program:
    http://palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7041

Orange has it's hands on all platforms but definitly has stake in the Treo...

P1 doesn't know how to do advance PDA, it's that simple. That's why you want to believe P1 spin that PDA is dead. Everybody else is growing and still pounding away, churning ever more advance models. After CE5.0, POS is not even a noticeable factor anymore. It'll just wither away. CE 5.0 will go against PSP.
    It's not just P1 that sees the future of PDA is smartphones...heck it's everyones prediction...except yours that is? Heck, where you been Ska? At least P1 made profit recently which can't be said of M$ mobile group...oh wait it has never made a profit!

The rest of your post was yada yada nonsense. Btw, the MpX doesn't have CF if you didn't notice... All HP recent Hp models are lame imo w/exception possibly of rx3700 series. Regardless, only people who seem to buy are repeat customers, thus stagnant market. The real growth is smartphones/mobile handsets regardless if you believe it or not. Most of Palmsource's lisencees are smartphone makers now and there should defintiely be a myriad of palmos options in the future...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gaurav; 08/25/2004 at 04:00 AM.

There is serious confusion going on here by those apparently lacking reading comprehension.

The ID suskind is discussing two very different things - PalmOne and PalmOS. Comments about one do not necessarily apply to the other. Though his/her english is a little stilted there actually is very little ambiguity about what he/she is talking about.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Gfunkmagic,

I like the "JakeEmockup", I think the last one on the right would be a real winner if Palmone produced a unit similar to that.

Rob
    Gfunkmagic:

Both those mockups are great, but I vote for the 480 model - make it as small as you can with as big a screen as possible - the ultimate (AND PUT THE ANTENNAE INSIDE).

Dale
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    You must be smoking some really good weed, man. The reason RIM has the corporate market all but locked up IS the thumboard. And most of us know that the really big money is in the corporate market.

Ask the airlines why the business traveler pays much more than the person travelling on a personal trip.

Ask the PC makers where the real big dollars are for sales ... the corporate market.

If Handspring/Palm1 or any other samrtphone manufacturer wants into this market, then having an easy method to write and reply to emails is an absolute must. This market demands it ... perhaps that's why most of the devices are coming out with thumboards. Just look at the smartphones you always point to as being the end of the Treo ... almost all of them have thumboards.

You really need to get past this. As a big email user on my Treo, I can tell you that anything but a thumboard is simply not efficient. I can type 30+wpm on my Treo's thumboard. I couldn't get close to that with Graffiti, or heaven forbid, T9 input.

You know, with all the abuse you take on this board, I have to wonder why you continue to post here. You aren't going to get (m)any converts to move from Palm. To tell you the truth, I'm beginning to worry about your mental state. Your posts remind me of all the crap Scott Peterson took from Amber Frey on those recorded calls. Why do you insist on taking the abuse ... move on and get a life over on the MS boards or wherever.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Gfunkmagic:

Both those mockups are great, but I vote for the 480 model - make it as small as you can with as big a screen as possible - the ultimate (AND PUT THE ANTENNAE INSIDE).

Dale
    Gotta have the keyboard
  12. mtb
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Cool! Tx for the info mtb. Btw, did you ever ask how much of a rebate was listed for the 650? That would pretty interesting info imo...
    No, unfortunately I didn't get the amount of the rebate, but I assumed it was Sprint's standard $150 for a 2-year contract.
  13. mtb
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Gfunkmagic:

Dale

I agree, but it would be even better if it had a slide-out thumb board like some of the new ppc models.
    Just FYI, the Palm One store from which this ACE story originated is not some kiosk or rebranded phone store. It is the #1, PalmOne OWNED flagship store. The people who work there are EMPLOYED by PalmOne. The store was never another phone store. Before this space, which is in the USAirways hub section (terminal B) of the Philly airport, was owned by PalmOne it was a Staples mini center that didn't sell phones. The manager of this store, who presumably talked to the person who told us about this release date, is a high level PalmOne employee, not some random dude at a phone store. He built the whole concept of PalmOne stores, in fact.

Don't diss my city, dudes. We're very sorry that YOUR airports have discount phone kiosks. Perhaps you should move to a city with a real football team, a 94 real universities, 77% of the US' biomedical research, a hub for international flights, and the Palm flagship. Ha.
    glenn mcgee phd
    professor of medical ethics
    editor, http://bioethics.net
    & The American Journal of Bioethics (MIT
    Press)
    Penn School of Medicine
    philadelphia pa
  15. OJM
    Philly has a "real football team"?
    OJMBrooklyn

SPHi300>T300>T600>T650>PPC6700>700WX
    Quote Originally Posted by glennmcgee
    Don't diss my city, dudes. We're very sorry that YOUR airports have discount phone kiosks. Perhaps you should move to a city with a real football team, a 94 real universities, 77% of the US' biomedical research, a hub for international flights, and the Palm flagship. Ha.
    Not dissing, but while you're on stats, you forgot to mention, Philly is one of the few cities in the US whose population decreased in the last census.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzydiver
    If they incorporate the sub system from the t3 they do not need it as the sub system is certified.
    I was meaning to submit this earlier but seems that the thread has gotten off subject...the existing palm certifications do not include handsfree or headset profiles. When you go to the site you can select any of the new phones and they have this profile as part of their certification, none of the existing palm's have this certification.
    "a 94 real universities"??? Ok, what does that mean. My girlfriend used to be a prof at Penn. Wonder if she can verify his identity. Notice again all the information and only 2 posts... wow... I am impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoroy
    I'd be surprised if PalmOne released the next generation of the Treo 600 so quickly after the Verizon's introduction, now a couple weeks old. I'm figuring in time for the Christmas season.
    Keep in mind that while Verizon was extremely late in introducing the Treo, it has been on the market for a year or so on other carriers. So I am not surprised by this "news". Have you noticed the number of $100-200+ discounts by several carriers in the past 1-2 months? What does that tell you? I think we'll see it in the next 1-2 months.
    Philly sucks *** compared to many cities. l have lived and worked there, so this is an informed opinion.

The airport stores are bs...so they put a mall in an airport...BFD.

Those employees don't know jack.
    (compared to anywhere else)