Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021 LastLast
    I think people are confusing PalmOne and PalmOS comments.

They ARE different domains...
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    This whole debate reminds me of the Mac vs. Windows argument. No matter what you think of either one, Windows has become by far the dominant product. Apple should have shrivelled up and died. But it is still here today with a small but respectable portion of the market.
    Yes Mac should have died. But not anymore. If you look at Panther 10.3 Operating system, it runs circles around Windows: no crashes, no viruses, no complicated menus, elegant, Faster hardware. And Tiger brings you HD videophone with DSL speeds and other things Windows will have in 10 years!

Also, while PC prices look like $ 400, by the time one gets the DVD and the RAM 512 Megs and 100 Gigs the prices of Apple and PCs are the same.

I predict Apple will have a huge decade. Windows operating systems have become a bloated crashing joke. Apple's have become more and more elegant.

Which reminds me: when it comes to smart phones, frequent crashes are super serious. A phone is a thing that simply cannot freeze when its time to call 911. So stability is preferable than the latest features.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Yes Mac should have died. But not anymore. If you look at Panther 10.3 Operating system, it runs circles around Windows: no crashes, no viruses, no complicated menus, elegant, Faster hardware. And Tiger brings you HD videophone with DSL speeds and other things Windows will have in 10 years!

Also, while PC prices look like $ 400, by the time one gets the DVD and the RAM 512 Megs and 100 Gigs the prices of Apple and PCs are the same.

I predict Apple will have a huge decade. Windows operating systems have become a bloated crashing joke. Apple's have become more and more elegant.

Which reminds me: when it comes to smart phones, frequent crashes are super serious. A phone is a thing that simply cannot freeze when its time to call 911. So stability is preferable than the latest features.
    As much as I would like to think that Apple will dominate for the next decade, I seriously doubt that they can regain their lost market share. As far as PC prices......they are still less than Apple. A DVD burner is only $80 and 512k PC3200 will run you another $90 and 100gig hd will be less than $100. Add that to a barebones PC for $200 and an AMD processor you got yourself a nice rig. All these prices are from NewEgg, the best online retailer!

Anyway, I windows has been closing the ground on Macs. Not the other way around.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Just mention Mac and people get excited. This debate gets us nowhere. The Mac dedate has ended with MS winning the PC business and Apple being a nich player with great products.

That is what some are suggesting will happen to Palm. I hope it doesn't. It is key that P1 compete with the MS players as well as Symbion and RIM. A nod to the poster that reminded me of the popularity of that platform. I agree that it is popular but think that it is still a bad phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=33689

The new treo looks good, but man the daxian and even samsungs ppc phones are just incredible.
    /me remembers fondly many a debate here with detractors condemning the thumb keyboard of the Treo as a gimmick while some of us predicted everyone else to follow with thumb keyboards.

Again, Palm and co innovate, and MS copies and follows. Of course Microsoft has followed this model many times with great success, ending up killing competitors.

My prediction, however, is that the Palm will not die. It's been around a very long time (in relative terms) and that allowed it to grow very deep roots in terms of developing a very large following, widespread familiarity, and a huge software base.

This is the best scenario for us consumers. Real, thriving players competing. The future looks great!
    If the Treo XXX is coming out soon a good indication may be its bluetooth certification.

http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Templat...lifiedProducts

Motorola and Sony have been busy beavers lately...I would think that the entire phone would have to have the certification not just the module, as other manufactures have posted their entire phone model, the P910 and mpx 220 have already been certified.....
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by User_123
    If the Treo XXX is coming out soon a good indication may be its bluetooth certification.

http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Templat...lifiedProducts

Motorola and Sony have been busy beavers lately...I would think that the entire phone would have to have the certification not just the module, as other manufactures have posted their entire phone model, the P910 and mpx 220 have already been certified.....

I think this guy is right. I searched: Palm, Handspring, Palmone, Palmsource, and finally all phones. No sight of it anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    I think this guy is right. I searched: Palm, Handspring, Palmone, Palmsource, and finally all phones. No sight of it anywhere.

If they incorporate the sub system from the t3 they do not need it as the sub system is certified.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    The new IPAQ or the ACE? Any feedback?
    For God's sake, kill this thread. 345 ill-informed, speculative, and non-responsive replies is enough already.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    For God's sake, kill this thread. 345 ill-informed, speculative, and non-responsive replies is enough already.

WHY?!! What's with everyone wanting to close every thread around here lately? If there can be that ridiculous word association thread, then we can have this speculative, rambling thread about the Ace imo... Heck, what else are we gonna talk about until it arrives anyway! Besides, it would nice to have one unified thread where everyone posted their unverifiable, unsubstantiated and theoretical Ace hypothesis instead of bunch of different ones...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gator12
    The new IPAQ or the ACE? Any feedback?
    If you mean the h6315, be forwarned it's slow as hell. If you really want a PPC phone, wait for the XDAIII/CU928. Or if you really want a good smartphone, just get the Ace which will have higher rez screen, better cam and better form factor. XDAIII will have wifi but it's not certain whether the cdma ver (Daxian) will have wifi at this point...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    PalmOS losts marketshare massively.
    PI condition is stabilizing, but their unit shipment in PDA isn't exactly triving. THe only saving grace is from lucrative treo600. But the clock is ticking fast, since they haven't figured out how to make model with new OS and wifi.
    So you quote me regarding what's a fact/opinions and then say P1 doesn't know how to a model with new OS and wifi as fact? Anyway Ska, weren't you the one saying last year that no one buys pdas, no cares about smartphones, thumbboards suck and aren't as good as SIP, Treo 'chicklet' button would never catch on, Treo 600 would fail, Mpx200 was gonna destroy Treo etc?! LOL! HA, I particularly liked the last once since the MpX200 was such an abysmal failure compared to the Treo. But go ahead, predict away...

ie. P1 is going nowhere fast. You think T4 is going to bring back excitement?
    Man, you're talking to the wrong dude... Who heck buys PDA's anymore anyway? (Oh yeah...maybe me if can get the 720 ) P1 future lies in whether they can knock the socks off on the next Treo, that's what will bring back the excitement, assuming there isn't already enough surrounding the Treo. Regarding the Tungstens, P1 could certainly suprise as well since HP recent lineup isn't exactly exciting anyone anyway...

anyone have any idea when the new treo will be out and where can we read up about it other than gossip...
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby
    anyone have any idea when the new treo will be out and where can we read up about it other than gossip...
    GOSSIP? : Umm... The whole Treo ACE IS A RUMOR/GOSSIP!

Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    PalmOS losts marketshare massively.
    PI condition is stabilizing, but their unit shipment in PDA isn't exactly triving. THe only saving grace is from lucrative treo600. But the clock is ticking fast, since they haven't figured out how to make model with new OS and wifi.

ie. P1 is going nowhere fast. You think T4 is going to bring back excitement?
    You doom boys are a joke! aka seldomright.

Analyze the damn device all you want, in the past 6 months pone has contracted with every major carrier. It is that fact that will affect sales and not a missing wifi feature.
    The street doesn't give a rats *** about wifi. Carrier contracts are a different story. It's in large part why the stock is up 351% since 1 30 04 or a cool 27000$. Keep up the great work doom boys. You've been consistant. By the way, you wouldn't happen to have any other predictions I could go opposite on would you?
  17. mtb
    I'm new to this board, but thought I would add to the Treo Ace/650 rumors.

I spoke with a rep at a local sprint store who said he recieved the new rebate forms and the Treo 650 was listed on it. He didn't have any information on a release date, but that must mean it will be soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    If you mean the h6315, be forwarned it's slow as hell. If you really want a PPC phone, wait for the XDAIII/CU928. Or if you really want a good smartphone, just get the Ace which will have higher rez screen, better cam and better form factor. XDAIII will have wifi but it's not certain whether the cdma ver (Daxian) will have wifi at this point...
    slow as hell? lol
    you are making me laugh. True enough it's not the fastest among the top PPC runner with 600+mhz, but the h6315 is about as fast as old iPaq.

Which mean sure as heck faster than treo600. (ie. full screen video run at around 18fps, simple multitasking, mapping, etc are all faster than treo600 can ever hope for)

can the treo 600 print word documents directly via BT? (yeah let's see if that's even possible)
    mtb - sounds good - in which area you are?
  20. mtb
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    mtb - sounds good - in which area you are?
    SF Bay Area