Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021 LastLast
Results 321 to 340 of 418
  1. #321  
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=33689

    The new treo looks good, but man the daxian and even samsungs ppc phones are just incredible.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

  2. Stig's Avatar
    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    #322  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=33689

    The new treo looks good, but man the daxian and even samsungs ppc phones are just incredible.
    So, in case anyone missed that, we're looking at a launch date of Oct/Nov '04. It also looks like the new Treo will have serious competition!
    Attached Images Attached Images
  3. #323  
  4. #324  
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    Non Palm OS? All marketshare data indicates Palm OS is the one bleeding massively and not growing.
    LOL! You keep making the same tired old statements.

    Actually, I've come to think that your presence on a Palm forum, Ska, is the perfect evidence of how well the corresponding Palm models are doing. If what you said were true, you wouldn't need to say anything to people like us. The fact that you're here really means you think you have some work to do to convince us of the error of our ways. You're kind of like a backhanded harbinger of good fortune for Palm.

    Keep at it.
  5. #325  
    Good grief!

    Why do you think suskind MADE UP the statistic that PalmOS is going downhill?

    Or do you simply not want him to post facts?

    Wow.

    "Head in Sand" does NOT work.
  6. nunzio's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #326  
    SeldomVisitor,

    It is true that Palm has lost share over the years but the game has changed. PDAs will not be the premere mobility devices in the future, it will be phones. I say phones and not smartphones because over time all phones will be "smart". Palmobe has recongnized this fact and bought Handspring who got it before anyone else. In fact 1/2 of engineering and revenue is expected to be phone based.

    The stange thing for us in in US is that in this space Palm and Microsoft are not the dominant players. By fay Symbion is the 800 lb gorilla.

    Microsolt's statagy is to release 2 very diffrent phone OSs, one more phone and the other more PDA. This confusing since applications and major features work in completely diffrent ways on both. Palm also will have 2 OSs but they will be much closer in feature and many applications will work on both. One OS will be used over the othe depending on feature set and pricing concerns. I think this is a beter stratagy.

    Overall neither has challenged Symbion as of yet. Is this because US based Palmone and Microsoft just don't uderstang the European mobile user?
  7. #327  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    LOL! You keep making the same tired old statements.

    Actually, I've come to think that your presence on a Palm forum, Ska, is the perfect evidence of how well the corresponding Palm models are doing. If what you said were true, you wouldn't need to say anything to people like us. The fact that you're here really means you think you have some work to do to convince us of the error of our ways. You're kind of like a backhanded harbinger of good fortune for Palm.
    Keep at it.
    Really? I will. Is that nervous defensiveness I just heard?.
  8. #328  
    Quote Originally Posted by nunzio
    SeldomVisitor,

    It is true that Palm has lost share over the years but the game has changed. PDAs will not be the premere mobility devices in the future, it will be phones. I say phones and not smartphones because over time all phones will be "smart". Palmobe has recongnized this fact and bought Handspring who got it before anyone else. In fact 1/2 of engineering and revenue is expected to be phone based.
    PDA is not premiere? AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $PDA$ $is$ $STILL$ $the$ $bread$ $and$ $butter$. $It$ $command$ $the$ $marketshare$ $and$ $revenue$. $Smartphone$ $is$ $high$ $growth$, $but$ $not$ $premiere$.

    Handspring is bankrupt, get over it.

    The stange thing for us in in US is that in this space Palm and Microsoft are not the dominant players. By fay Symbion is the 800 lb gorilla.
    Symbian doesn't know PDA. eg, look at their developer community. Look at series 60 vs. UIQ. Software doesn't even work between 60 and 90.

    Microsolt's statagy is to release 2 very diffrent phone OSs, one more phone and the other more PDA. This confusing since applications and major features work in completely diffrent ways on both. Palm also will have 2 OSs but they will be much closer in feature and many applications will work on both. One OS will be used over the othe depending on feature set and pricing concerns. I think this is a beter stratagy.
    Only 2 OSes? But even that, the fact that consumer has to learn which one is for 4.1, garnet or Cobalt is enough to confuse customer. Let me ask you this as long time palm user: Will datebk for 4.1 work for Garnet? Will mmplayer for 5.0 work on garnet or Cobalt? What's the difference between garnet, 5.0 and Cobalt? Will those work on old Clies?

    POS users need to know: OS version, screen size and brand, while Symbian user only needs to know OS name, same as Microsoft.

    If that isn't bigger mess, I don't know what.

    Overall neither has challenged Symbion as of yet. Is this because US based Palmone and Microsoft just don't uderstang the European mobile user?
    Let's see how the C500 is doing. The Orange E100 I thought was okay. Sure as heck kicking the pants out of treo 600.
    Last edited by suskind; 08/23/2004 at 09:14 AM.
  9. nunzio's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #329  
    Suskind,

    Your right Palm is doomed!!! How long will you remain on this board or do you plan on bashing MS on their board as well.

    It hard for me to believe that some one who hated a technology as much as you do would take the time to participate on a borad such as this.

    You can bash the technology as much as you want but I stand by my predictions. In fact even you beloved MS believes that the PDA is going away. They predict a sharp increase in Smartphones and Tablet PCs and a decreas in Pocket PC. Sure these things have not occured yet but overtime it is likely.

    It is also likely that Palm will eventually move everone to Cobalt and MS will pick 1 OS for their phones.

    You bash Symbion wich is fine (I am not a fan either) but the fact is that they have the commanding market share in the highest growth sector of the mobile marketspace. I believe they are doing it by being a phone and focusing on java support for applications. The average European loves text messaging and does not ming T9 imput. The opposite is true in the US (thus our love of the T600). Java is te big equalizer on the OS. I even run a java browser on my T600 (Webviewer).

    The point of my earlier post and this one is that long term P1 is on the right track. They just need to continue to innovate and not sit back like Palm did with the Palm V. That is what eroded so much of Palm's maket share in the first place. If they continue to innovate the will remain relevant.

    One last thought, people have been predicting Palm's destruction for years and they still are around. I wonder when people will admit that their technology is relevant and and recognized by the consumer as having value.
  10. #330  
    This whole debate reminds me of the Mac vs. Windows argument. No matter what you think of either one, Windows has become by far the dominant product. Apple should have shrivelled up and died. But it is still here today with a small but respectable portion of the market.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  11. #331  
    suskind, handspring is bankrupt? they are? hmm... they were in trouble but they were bought by palm... thats not bankrupt. your a funny guy

    pdas are still the premier? lol. are you reading today`s news? pdas are are getting ready to head out the door, dude. havent you seen the headlines, " death of the pda" before?

    what exactly are you talking about? smartphones are the future. get over it. you are like the captain who is going down with the ship, suskind. its pretty funny to read your little comments. but like all stubborn pc phoners, you will fight this losing fight until you are blue in the face, and we will laugh until we are red in the face.

    march on pc phone soldier, but you head down a precarious path.
  12. nunzio's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #332  
    I agree in princible except that I am not sure the dominant force has been defined. HP and Motorola are likely to be the MS flag bearers while P1 will be Palm OS and Nokia Symbian.

    The interesting thing is that so far the market has tolerated all 3 players. This will change once IT departments get serious about supporting these types of devices. So far they have only dabbled on a relatively small scale. I say that because few companies issue pdts or specific cell phones to their employees.
  13. #333  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    "Head in Sand" does NOT work.
    Ha! So, Microsoft, HP/Compaq, Dell and Toshiba are financing hardware and software and we're supposed to be surprised the Palm's market share has decreased? Of course it's going to. It's the implication that this is a sign of imminent demise, or so the mindless MS fanatics would have us believe, that is a waste of everyone's time.

    Why not just go off and enjoy the platform of your choice? One that, according to you, is the imminent and inevitable winner? If what the Palm doomsayers say is true, there would be no need for you to post here, so I take your presence to be an admission that you're not quite sure.
  14. jimn367's Avatar
    Posts
    122 Posts
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    #334  
    Quote Originally Posted by nunzio
    This will change once IT departments get serious about supporting these types of devices. So far they have only dabbled on a relatively small scale. I say that because few companies issue pdts or specific cell phones to their employees.
    I think IT departments have already spoken - at least for large companies. That answer is RIM. IT folks love them because:
    1) Can't install software on it (at least not easily)- IT folks just love that. You or I might hate it, but they don't.
    2) Corporate Security - See #1.
    3) Low training requirements. Hand it to the user and they can use it (try that with a Palm or PPC). The treo is CLOSE to being an exception.
    4) So simple the non-computer geek CEO can use it, and then direct it to be the corporate standard. (Why doesn't anyone else understand that tactic?)
    5) No Wifi or Bluetooth (See #1 or #2)
    6) No camera (See #2)
    7) Long battery life
    8) Good enough screen
    9) Durable, durable, durable! Throw a blackberry and the new HP 6315 or treo 300/600 against the wall and see which survives.

    E-mail, PIM, phone - all the worker bee needs.

    People buy treos, companies buy blackberry's. The sales numbers say it all. All of the uber geeks may raise their noses to the lowly RIM offerings, but they are currently on pace to just about take over the corporate market.

    I know a lot of people in this boat. I can use my toy with a desktop message retriever (like Seven, Visto, ...), pay for everything myself, OR I can get a company balckberry phone for free (and not violate any IT policies). Most people in large companies are forbidden to IMAP connect (even if you can punch through the firewall to get it).

    I'm holding out for now, but...
  15. tripm's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #335  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    This whole debate reminds me of the Mac vs. Windows argument. No matter what you think of either one, Windows has become by far the dominant product. Apple should have shrivelled up and died. But it is still here today with a small but respectable portion of the market.

    Yeah, and WalMart is the dominant American reseller - so lets not start that argument up again...
  16. #336  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    This whole debate reminds me of the Mac vs. Windows argument. No matter what you think of either one, Windows has become by far the dominant product. Apple should have shrivelled up and died. But it is still here today with a small but respectable portion of the market.
    True, however, MS had to provide a huge chunk of cash to Apple a year or two ago to keep them afloat.

    You point on Wal-Mart is a good one, though. Even considering Wal-Mart's huge size and impact on the market, it caters to just one segment of the market. Target caters to a market a little bit upstream. Each market has its demands and products. IMO, musch the same when it comes to phones v. smartphones. They cater to different needs, and the market adapted to those needs.

    The same can be said of Palm and MS based phones. Each company caters to the needs of their particlular market, just as RIM has.

    Why some people can't understand that is beyond me. If MS tries to take over the smartphone market like they did with Windows, Uncle Sam will be back to break it up. Just my .02.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

    Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  17. #337  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Hi all,
    I was doing some Internet searches on the Treo and came upon this page. After reading through all 16 pages and having seen SpaceHog's credibility vouched for by the frequent and respected poster, Dalai Lama, I guess I believe the Treo 650/ACE should be coming out soon. So, I guess my questions are these:
    1. Is it worth waiting to buy a Treo? For the 650?
    2. Or wait to buy a 600 when the price probably goes down with a superior piece of equipment hitting the shelves?
    3. Wait for a Bluetooth enabled Treo type phone?
    4. What was the deleted info by SpaceHog?!?!

    I currently have a Nokie 3650 which serves me well as I Sync my Powerbook with Address Book and iCal. I also use the BT to transfer pictures back and forth. I miss having a PDA, as I have stopped using my Palm 3 because the pockets get full with the larger size of the Nokia 3650. Anyhow, syncing with my laptop is a must and I have lots of calendar items, so what is best for me? I'm currently using T-Mobile and a Treo 600 would be like $500 :/ My 1 year contract has been up for a few months so I'm debating whether to wait for a "new" Treo to hit the market or find a cellular provider that gives a good deal on the Treo 600.

    Thanks in advance...
    Is it me or did everyone just ignore me? Did I post in the wrong section or something?
  18. #338  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Is it me or did everyone just ignore me? Did I post in the wrong section or something?
    Ummm... didn't you read the other posts? You could easily have found that the answers to all of your questions have been answered:


    1. Is it worth waiting to buy a Treo? For the 650?

    The Treo Ace (650) is only rumored to be released on Sprint sometime in Oct/Nov. If you need the GSM version, it will most probably be delayed sometime after the Sprint roll out similar to the Treo 600 introduction last year. Thus I'ld probably get the GSM Treo600 now if you don't want to wait that long...

    2. Or wait to buy a 600 when the price probably goes down with a superior piece of equipment hitting the shelves?

    That's also a good idea, but the Ace will have BT which something you say you use...

    3. Wait for a Bluetooth enabled Treo type phone?

    See above, the Ace will have BT integrated...

    4. What was the deleted info by SpaceHog?!?!

    Nothing that has not been already stated numerous times else where on this board... Don't worry about it...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  19. #339  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Good grief!

    Why do you think suskind MADE UP the statistic that PalmOS is going downhill?

    *sigh* Making a statment that P1 has lost market share is a FACT. Saying that it is going "downhill" is mere shrill opinion and does not equate with prior statement.
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  20. #340  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    *sigh* Making a statment that P1 has lost market share is a FACT. Saying that it is going "downhill" is mere shrill opinion and does not equate with prior statement.
    PalmOS losts marketshare massively.
    PI condition is stabilizing, but their unit shipment in PDA isn't exactly triving. THe only saving grace is from lucrative treo600. But the clock is ticking fast, since they haven't figured out how to make model with new OS and wifi.

    ie. P1 is going nowhere fast. You think T4 is going to bring back excitement?

Posting Permissions