Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC
    I've been looking at the specs (pdf) of this device. Compared to the Treo600, it has severely limited input options: no QWERTY keyboard and, as best I can tell, no touch-sensitive screen (so no handwriting recognition or on-screen keyboard). Personally I hate T9 and couldn't possibly conceive of using this device the way I use my T600 (lots of text entry, especially email and SMS). The SP3 is in some ways a quite attractive device and might be good for people who want to input data on using a desktop or laptop and sync this over to the phone to carry around, but the Treo is so much more than this and I don't really see the SP3 as a competitor to the T600 (or the rumoured ACE).
    It never meant to have a keyboard.

but if you just want to compared input, how about this:
    1. more than enough software input options (including alternate to T9)
    2. Functioning Voice dial.
    3. BT GPS capable.
    4. BT headset capable

C600 phone capability is miles ahead of yesteryear treo600. I am sorry, if you think an unusable chicklet keys is the ultimate phone feature. Want to compare C500 battery performance compared to treo600?
    whoa a troll. just writing some wild negative accusations against the treo.
    c500 preorder? you have to probably wait 1 year to get it lols.
    treo ace is gonna rule. it will get even more accolade than treo600- voted best smartphone in most cellphone magazines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms
    whoa a troll. just writing some wild negative accusations against the treo.
    c500 preorder? you have to probably wait 1 year to get it lols.
    treo ace is gonna rule. it will get even more accolade than treo600- voted best smartphone in most cellphone magazines.

....yay....

Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    Is that ACE thingie out yet? HP is rumored to carry another WiFi/Xscale/CDMA phone.

http://www.ipaqabilities.com/iaforum...opic.php?t=286

boy by the time ACE is out, it'll look like last year fruitcake.
    BLA.... C'mon Ska you know this is just a HP rebranded LG SC8000 except with slight different casing and antenna for cdma radio. This is just another example of HP trying to come up with something against superior HTC styling and engineering of XDAIII/CU928. Why have wifi but no BT or slide out thumbboard as in Daxian? If I was gonna choose a CDMA WM phone, the CU928 would blow "rw6100" out the water...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

3. BT GPS capable.
    4. BT headset capable

C600 phone capability is miles ahead of yesteryear treo600. I am sorry, if you think an unusable chicklet keys is the ultimate phone feature. Want to compare C500 battery performance compared to treo600?
    Two major HUGE negatives for the C600:

No 850 Mhz GSM - thus worthless for most NA
    mini-SD - Ugh...

The Mpx220, while slightly larger, is a better solution imo b/c of quad-band GSM and 1 MP cam...although it still has that crappy mini-SD! You can read a comparison of the two phones here. (your fav site huh Ska? )

Anyway, why you trying to compare the Ace to crappy WM smartphones anyway. No touchscreen, no real apps, crappy mini-SD slot etc? C'mon, if you really want to make an arguement, then you have to mention tri-wireless WM ppc phones like Mpx, XDAIII/MDAIII/CU928, and HP6315 real OS! The problem is that no one knows when MPx will arrive (phonescoop says 2005 at earliest) and it reportedly has horrid battery life with wifi enabled, plus reportedly continuously in flux thumbboard design. The h6315 is just damned huge, especially with addon thumbboard, and fugly. But the seamless wireless switching is tremendously impressive...something that won't be available until palmOS Cobalt smartphones appear later in 2005. FInally the CU928/XDAIII is best of the bunch imo. In fact, I think I probably would have gotten one of these if I already hadn't I decided instead to get a Loox 720 as my next pda! I figure the Ace + 720 and new Tablet would put me in geek heaven!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

Genuinely, I'd like to know if there are decent options. Without a touch screen or QWERTY keyboard, I'm doubtful, but I also prepared to be enlightened!

3. BT GPS capable.
    4. BT headset capable
    Nice features, but don't address at all the problem that I have with the phone: text input (this was the point of my post to which you were responding).

Unusable?! I use them every day with close to 100% accuracy (I almost never mis-hit a key but I do sometimes forget to hit the option or shift key; my forgetfulness is not really a keyboard design issue though!). I also find the T600 keyboard much faster than any other input method I've tried, including Graffiti (1 and 2), Calligrapher, Block Recognizer, various on-screen keyboards, multitap, and T9. You may have problems with the T600 keyboard, but if you meant that you should have said so. The generalisation that the keyboard is unusable is nonsense.

With regard to battery life, the specs for the SP3 say '3.5 h talk time, 2 h GPRS, 140 h standby'. All less than the T600.
    Didn't I just post a link where one can purchase C500?
    You posted a link where an unreleased phone can be pre-ordered
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    BLA.... this is just a HP rebranded LG SC8000 except with slight different casing and antenna for cdma radio. This is just another example of HP trying to come up with something against superior HTC styling and engineering of XDAIII/CU928. Why have wifi but no BT or slide out thumbboard as in Daxian? If I was gonna choose a CDMA WM phone, the CU928 would blow "rw6100" out the water...
    h6300 < out augh 26 (some store already start selling)
    h6700 < the one you are talking about, only picture with sprint logo on it
    MPX < engineering sample, designed to crush ACE
    XDAIII < XDAII redo, europe only
    XDAIV < distant rumor, first half next year

C500 < predicted to be a blow out, Orange is selling now
    MPX220 < follow up to mpx200

------
    These are what ACE is facing, not counting symbian. All has more advance hardware with multiple wireless, most has WiFi. Bigger screen, logner batter, more powerfull proc,... etc.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    h6300 < out augh 26 (some store already start selling)
    h6700 < the one you are talking about, only picture with sprint logo on it
    MPX < engineering sample, designed to crush ACE
    XDAIII < XDAII redo, europe only
    XDAIV < distant rumor, first half next year

C500 < predicted to be a blow out, Orange is selling now
    MPX220 < follow up to mpx200

------
    These are what ACE is facing, not counting symbian. All has more advance hardware with multiple wireless, most has WiFi. Bigger screen, logner batter, more powerfull proc,... etc.
    That is all true but the TREO will only be behind on Wifi and that is not a big deal considering battery life ans security constraints. The thing that HS got right was the interface. Ever websurf on a pocket pc. Even with landscape mode the experience stinks and is beter on the TREO. The treo still has beter contact intergration PIM and PIM functions. Javascript and frames are needed in the browser and all is well.

BTW the projected cost of the MPX means only coprs can afford it and the battery is rumered to be horrable.
    How about I'll shut up about ACE if it is out before MPX? I bet plenty of die hard palmie will consider that an interesting bet.

That would mean one can buy from carrier and delivered to his door before new year eve.
    Show me the money!
    How about I'll shut up about ACE if it is out before MPX? I bet plenty of die hard palmie will consider that an interesting bet.

That would mean one can buy from carrier and delivered to his door before new year eve.
    I'll take that bet and raise you that you proclaim the Palm OS and the Treo are far better suited to a converged device than any WM based device.

And if you check that bet, I'm going to raise you again ... it'll be all in and I have 2 Aces as my hole cards, and there are two showing on the flop.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    What happened to your new, ummm, signature?

I had given it long and hard consideration and came up with the following mantra:

Hoooooray for Dalai Wood!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nunzio
    That is all true but the TREO will only be behind on Wifi and that is not a big deal considering battery life ans security constraints. The thing that HS got right was the interface. Ever websurf on a pocket pc.
    that would be the most understatement of the year. Palmone won't be able to incorporate WIFi and has seamless wireless change up well until late next year. (ie. Palmone is ONE YEAR behind)

Even with landscape mode the experience stinks and is beter on the TREO. The treo still has beter contact intergration PIM and PIM functions. Javascript and frames are needed in the browser and all is well.
    guess what? the HP6300 has java. Contact/PIM integration? Can your treo 600 PIM link up with GPS map yet? How about the addressbook connect with PIM and attaching email with multimedia files? (attached video recording to to-do list and have it wirelessly send out)

PIM integration in treo is just a pimp up version of Datebk 4.0.

BTW the projected cost of the MPX means only coprs can afford it and the battery is rumered to be horrable.
    MPX projected cost is under $500. Battery is already better than treo600. Sorry, try again.
    MPX projected cost is under $500. Battery is already better than treo600. Sorry, try again.
    HAHAHAHAHA, that's a good one. I would love, just LOVE, to see where you got this info from. I just love fanboys.
    Quote Originally Posted by slffl
    HAHAHAHAHA, that's a good one. I would love, just LOVE, to see where you got this info from. I just love fanboys.
    h6300 is out at $599 without contract, under $500 with contract. MPX is essentially the same handheld.

If you think Treo ACE with only BT can sell above $550, after MPX is out, I want to know what you are smoking.

It's nice to have gigantic engineering department and production line, isn't it? Even palmiehead like you will finally realise how utterly expensive and under featured ACE will be. (This is a rehash of Vx vs. 3600 again. I love it)
    Quote Originally Posted by nunzio
    Ever websurf on a pocket pc. Even with landscape mode the experience stinks and is beter on the TREO.
    I have to say, I definitely disagree with this. I would much rather browse using IE on my Dell Axim rather than Blazer on my 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    I have to say, I definitely disagree with this. I would much rather browse using IE on my Dell Axim rather than Blazer on my 600.
    You can't say that here,
    This is the official party line:
    3.5 inch landscape semi trans QVGA + WiFi is worst than 2.5 inch STN 160 by 160 using GPRS.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    that would be the most understatement of the year. Palmone won't be able to incorporate WIFi and has seamless wireless change up well until late next year. (ie. Palmone is ONE YEAR behind) .
    WiFi is currently in transition to 802.11g/a and incorporating standards based security. I have yet to see a consumer PDA get this right yet. The benifits if WiFi on this devise today geven the true 3g is rolling out are minimal. PalmOne may be forced to incorporate it soon, and I believe it is possible, but I think the battery penalties and above make it less worth it then it would seem on the surface.

guess what? the HP6300 has java. Contact/PIM integration? Can your treo 600 PIM link up with GPS map yet? How about the addressbook connect with PIM and attaching email with multimedia files? (attached video recording to to-do list and have it wirelessly send out)
    The Current TREO also has java but not Java Script in Blazer. I can't remenber when I wanted to send a multimendia file from my phone. This is a buisness tool that allows me to check my e-mail, surf the web, and such. And I will take the search feature on the TREO over anything MS puts out. I know I tries and that is why I have a TREO. The other current crop of MS crap was bloated and not user friendly.

By the way I can use a GPS mouse.

PIM integration in treo is just a pimp up version of Datebk 4.0.

The battery on the MPX will need to deal with the added Wifi radio. The output on these radios is higher then on WAN/PAN and battery management is critical. It is not battery capasity that matters but wthe work profile. Many consumer grade PDA's only get 3-4 hour real battery life with Wifi enabled.
    okay so according to the palm one store manager in newark airport yesterday. they had a conference call with plamone corporate and nothing new is coming out till the begining of next year. he said that "any ace rumors" were just "rumors" and that plam one has nothing planned until 05
    bummer!
    I talked to John Smith, the manager at the Sprint store down on Main St. and he said the Treo 900 is coming out in two weeks!

Sorry, I can't give you the phone number, he told me not to tell anyone or he would get fired.