Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm
    I can barley get email.
    Barley...hmmmm sounds more like a beer thing
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    I sent an e-mail to Snappermail support outlining the problem and pointing to this thread, so I'll let you all know if I get a response.
  3.    #23  
    Yep, it's so annoying. I've basically given up on using it for now.
    Does any other e-mail program work with Docs to Go or offer other attachment support?
    I use sprint, & cablevision. This seemed to have started for me with the latest sprint upgrade (1.20-SPR). I've had 2 treos since and they both exhibited the same problem. Long time connecting most times (sometimes connection is fast), internet connection is fine. So, I doubt it's a hardware problem. It might be an upgrade problem or, Snapper software incompatibility with the sprint upgrade or just some Sprint problem. Hope someone figures this out because it sure is a problem.
    I've been in contact with Snappermail support, who showed my how to send a connection log to them to diagnose the problem. After doing that, the response was that the problem was either a slow server or a network problem. Apparently the log showed that Snappermail was connecting, but that the server was then refusing to respond.

I explained that it couldn't be a server issue, given that this issue was affecting many on these boards. I went on to state that, while Sprint was a common denominator, it seemed that other web-based services were unaffected, so this seemed to be some sort of intermittent glitch specific to Sprint and Snappermail.
    I've sort of been following this thread and I'm just chiming in here in case it helps anyone. I didn't want to say anything before because I know how frustrating it can be when you are having a problem and someone else comes along and says "everything is fine." With that in mind, I'm using snappermail (2.0.3.08) and its working without a hitch (and has been since the early beta's). I have a cdma sprint Treo600 and I use snappermail to check my fastmail.fm e-mail account (using IMAP). So far I don't have any connection problems and I can check large folders (900 plus e-mails) in under 35 seconds or so. I'm hoping this might help to rule some things out. Maybe it's some sort of regional problem or maybe it is the way that snappermail is reacting to particular servers? Is there anyone else out there with fastmail that is having a problem? Just trying to narrow things down in order to help.

EDIT: As marc pointed out in his post below, I am actually only syncing back one week so instead of syncing 900 messages it might be more like 60-70 e-mails.
    Last edited by paulsjmail; 08/07/2004 at 05:40 PM.
    When you say you have 900 emails, is that the total in your folder or the number that get synced? (i.e. you may sync back one week, which may be far fewer than 900, or you may sync ALL messages).

BTW, Chatter does a full check of large folders in < 7 seconds typically. But since it's all done asynchronously you don't normally notice any of that time, since you're never "waiting"; folders are, effectively, incrementally sync'ed when necessary so even this 7 second check only happens infrequently.

Marc
    I also have not been experiencing any problems on my Sprint Treo 600 running Chatter & Snappermail (latest betas). Ben
    Marc, Thanks for pointing this out. You are right, I didn't realize it but I have snapper set to sync back just one week (which instead of 900 is probably about 60-70 e-mails). I will edit my post above to reflect this.
    In Chatter, a full check of my inbox back two weeks (250 messages) typically takes 3-4 seconds from scratch.
    Strangely enough, after weeks of problems, I haven't had any delays since contacting Snappermail. I don't know if the process of generating a connection log somehow affected something, or just karma caught up with me.
    I was having this same problem with snapper for about a month. some fetches would finish in 20 seconds or less others would take minutes. On a chance I tried reprovisioning my phone following the instructions in the FAQ on this site. After doing that every fetch now for a week is 20 seconds or less. I'm guessing sprint has some bad servers passing through mail information and reprovisioning the phone hooked me up with one that is working. I only had to reprovision once, but perhaps if that doesn't work more than once will. Hope it might solve some one's problem.
  14.    #34  
    Bujin, pehaps it might be nice for you to post how to generate this connection log so others might try it out and see if it does in fact help speed things up or not?
    Last edited by lgreenberg; 08/08/2004 at 07:41 AM.
    I'm using the T600 on Verizon's network and I use AT&T worldnet POP3 email.

From a "standing start" (not connected to the web), it took a total of 20 seconds to connect to the web, then connect to AT&T's server and pull down a couple of messages. Connection to the web took about half of that 20 seconds. Not bad.
    I am also sensitive to someone chiming in with "it works fine" when someone is having a problem...but.....

I am on Cingular GSM, Snapper mail latest non beta, checking 4 accounts, maybe 30 emails a day combined total. I auto check all four accounts every 15 mins...(yes I am Type A, thanks for asking. )

90% of the time works fine.(15 to 25 seconds to check all four). 5% of the time it will go v e r y slowly, . Perhaps 3% of the time it hangs up and I have to exit snappermail. (This leaves a mysterious 2% during which I must be smoking crack and don't notice. )

One thing I do is keep the mailbox inboxes cleaned out so that it's not syncing 200 plus messages everytime.

Hope this helps.
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
  17.    #37  
    I don't think number of messages in the inbox has much to do with this issue.

I get the slowness even when I've got zero messages in my Inbox and zero new messages to download. It's even more frustrating waiting for three minutes for it to finally connect only to have it come back with no new mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    I don't think number of messages in the inbox has much to do with this issue.

I get the slowness even when I've got zero messages in my Inbox and zero new messages to download. It's even more frustrating waiting for three minutes for it to finally connect only to have it come back with no new mail.
    i agree
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    Bujin, pehaps it might be nice for you to post how to generate this connection log so others might try it out and see if it does in fact help speed things up or not?
    Sure thing - although I was being kind of facetious...I can't imagine it would actually have an effect. First, I'll share the final response from Snappermail support:

My best guess is that the affected mail servers use reverse DNS lookup. This means that they look for the host name associated with the IP address of your handheld (if that doesn't make sense, don't worry about it). Some Sprint nodes support reverse DNS lookup, and some don't. If you get connected to one that does, it works. If you get connected to one that doesn't, the mail server tries to do a reverse DNS lookup, it doesn't get a response from Sprint, and it never responds to SnapperMail.

I'm not sure exactly how it works with Sprint, but I think people have been successful in calling Sprint and saying they need reverse DNS lookup, and somehow they get a node that supports reverse DNS lookup.
    The diagnostic log can be found here:

http://www.snappermail.com/support/#12
    In case anyone cares, this has been discussed and resolved previously:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ghlight=mk3cn4
    ----------------------------------------
    mk3cn4 uses a Treo 600 with ReqWireless Web Browser (others are useless IMO), Snappermail, Xiino, PalmVNC... and is a big infone fan. Cheaper and magnatudes better than Sprint's 411 ripoff, www.infone.com.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast