1.    #1  
    http://mytreo.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB....num=1091568580

This is a post that I did on MyTreo.net, under Shimon's Forum.
    I pledged $50.
    Use the link ( here ) to add a pledge or make one here, I would rather keep them all in one place (via the link) though.....

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS

Ok, I am sure eveyone knows Shimon. This is his forum area, so I assume you do.

Long story short.
    Shimon makes PalmOS apps (among other things too).
    His site is http://www.ShSh.com and he has pleanty of cutting egde applications.

TAKEphONE and 2day are just two examples of the great work he can do. TAKEphONE is the flagship. His support is prompt and he is always willing to help. I often wonder how he gets the time to make these apps, with all the support he gives and time he spends on the forums helping us.

Seeing that he has become a very popular programer with the Treo600 group, I suggest we get him a TREO600

He had one on loan for a while, IMHO it seemed to help him, help us.
    We all know that what works on the Treo600 simulator, does not always work in real life,that is why he NEEDS a treo600.
    Yes, I have a motive, I want these great apps that Shimon makes, even better, plus I figure if he HAS A TREO600 and uses it, HE'LL THINK OF EVEN MORE KILLER APPS. Plus this IS A GREAT WAY TO SAY THANKS TOO.

So what to do.....
    CDMA or GSM?
    I think we have no choice but GSM, due to where he lives. The engine (PDA portion and intergration more or less) should be the same more or less, minus the radio, which we can fix any of those quirks (CDMA radio verse GSM radio) on the forums.

What if the ACE hits....
    Well, then perhaps if Palm One offers an upgrade program, he can get the ACE (or we can get another fund going) to get him one for the discount price.
    I think my Treo600 was $250 when it was all said and done (money off from Handspring for early abdoption of Treo600, plus I sold my Treo300 for $150.

Even if he can't get an Ace, there are enough Treo600 owners that will stay with the 600 to still warrant this IMHO.

So one step at a time, get him a GSM Treo600, then worry about the ACE if it hits.

Please feel free to add any comments or suggestions (you too Shimon), Matt Burkhard

Apps that Shimon makes, that make the treo600 better
    TAKEphONE (Phone wrapper with SMS and email intergration (plus more))
    2DAY Don't miss a thing. (lets your treo carpe diem)
    TreoShortCuts (2PHONE-2WEB as well has icons for contacts and others, plus power off features and network pull ups)
    TeleTone let your treo dial those long numbers from your contacts during "peak" time using your home phone to save high airtime cost.
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 08/03/2004 at 05:12 PM.
  2. RNJ
    I think that is the worst suggestion I have heard of ! What is next, buy Bill Gates a Dell to ensure that Windows will work better on Dells ?
    If this guy makes great programmes, he will be rewarded by the licence revenue they generate. If he wants to ensure that his apps work well on the T600, I am sure his pockets are deep enough to splash out and buy one himself !
    Just my 2 cents, and no offence to any of the parties.
    Cheers

RNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by RNJ
    I think that is the worst suggestion I have heard of ! What is next, buy Bill Gates a Dell to ensure that Windows will work better on Dells ?
    If this guy makes great programmes, he will be rewarded by the licence revenue they generate. If he wants to ensure that his apps work well on the T600, I am sure his pockets are deep enough to splash out and buy one himself !
    Cheers

RNJ
    RNJ - to be honest - you ar echoing my thoughts...

The longer I spend thinking about this initiative, the more it seems to me similar to the "Tip Shimon" initiative, which I was hesitant to agree to.

So - guys - what do you say we cancel the whole thing ?

I do not mean to offend anyone, and I deaply thank Matt and all those who jumped the wagon, but let's leave it at that.
    Maybe if you can help me just get a device (without the extra double cost of buying it here) - that would do...

Thanks again !!!

Shimon
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by RNJ
    Cheers

RNJ
    RNJ,
    Thanks for the input, but keep the negitive to yourself.
    If you think that this a horrid idea, then don't help with the cause.
    HE DOES'T WANT ANYTHING. I OFFERED IT AS GIFT. SHIMON WOULD NEVER ASK FOR SUCH A THING, HE HAS TOO MUCH CLASS, NOW THANKS TO YOU, HE WILL MOST LIKLY NO WANT IT AT ALL BECAUSE YOU ARE MAKEING A BIG DEAL OUT OF THIS. I assume he would rather not take a "GIFT" for fear of it looking bad.

IF HE asked for this, THEN I would see your point. HOWEVER, HE DID NOT ask for this. Also Bill Gates is a millionaire, Shimon is making a little less then that I assume.

You are intitled to your opionion, but thanks for making this nice gester seem wrong............

I am not really upset with you, even though my post may sound that way. I saw in your closing you ment to offend no one.

I am just hurt that a seemingly nice gester could back fire like this, but that too is JUST MY OPINION.
    Agree to disagree? Matt

If you look hard, I don't think this is the worst suggestion you have heard of? may be the in the top ten, but I doubt the worst
  5.    #5  
    I just saw Shimon's reply.
    We'll look at just helping him get a better deal on one.

This was done out of kindness, not ment to have an angle or anything (just making sure that is clear)

I wish Palm would offer a developers program that if they can prove your legit, then you could get one at cost from them (Palm).

It's all good, even RNJ.
    So RNJ, is the price for a Treo600 in Luxembourg highway robbery too?
    please be polite to one another on this site...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Hi all,

I would like to post my view of things here:

I am VERY flattered, and reall gratefull for you all for your kind words, and willingness to contribute (especially Matt for initiating this).

Bottom line is - while I did start (way way back) on this Palm development out of fun and a hobby, I now consider this my BUSINESS. I am a company selling Palm OS applications focused on SmartPhone devices.

As such, and after pondering about this quite deeply, I do not think it is appropriate, nor businesslike, to develop my business via donations.

I am building my business, and plan on keep doing it, based solely on the income I get from my work - be it selling the products I have (TAKEphONE, 2day, TeleTone, Treo shortcuts), or project I get as a freelance. So far it seems to be going in the right direction - growing by the day.

If and when I decide to purchase a Treo 600 device (and I think I will), it should (and will) be a decision based on the return I will get from it, and not on if I can get it for free.

I hope no one will be offended by this, I assure you I REALLY appreciate your motives, and your actions on this - but I would like to ask you all to forfit this fund.

I guess I will wait a couple of weeks to see if I can get the Treo here in Israel for a reasonable price, or see if I can get it at the DevCon. I will keep my eyes and ears open for other opportunities in the meantime.

Again - THANKS YOU ALL ! YOU TOUCHED MY HEART !
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Well said Shimon. Your a true Gentleman.
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Well said. Once again, thank you for a series of products. Ben
    I love your products too... Yasher Koach