Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I went to use my phone today and noticed what looks like a hole behind the screen. It's almost like there is a transparent screen behind and it has basically just appeared (see attached).

The phone has not been dropped or anything that may have caused this. I am currently waiting for a response from Palmone in regards to Warranty, as I have only had the phone since 26/6/04.

Does anyone have any ideas, or seen this sort of thing before.

Jamie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jamie_bc; 08/02/2004 at 11:45 PM.
    Looks like a bad screen panel and the quality of the pic looks like it was taken by a Treo 600...ha ha ha...oops sorry... Hope they take care fo this for you!
    There are two layers in play when you look at the "screen" of your Treo -- or any touchscreen PDA for that matter. The top layer is the digitizer layer. That layer is usually a very thin glass or glass-like material that can show cracks and such, but not like the one in the picture. The second layer -- with is below the digitizer layer -- is the actual LCD screen. It looks like there is some sort of defect or damage to that layer.

Spots or "hole" like your unit is exhibiting can occur either through defect, rom pressure or from heat / cold exposure. It looks like a patch of pixels has gone bad from one of those three issues. A crack in the screen would typically produce a patch like this, but, it's hard to tell from the photo you posted.

If the unit has a defect or has no crack in the screen (you won't feel a crack as the digitizer layer is in the way) your warranty should probably take care of replacement. If it's cracked, palmOne won't replace the unit.

BUT, unless you're using a generic GSM unit bought from palmOne, your unit's warranty and / or damage replacement will be handled by your carrier and not palmOne anyway. With the price of the Treo 600 and the fragility of the screen, paying the extra couple of dollars a month for damage replacement warranty makes pretty good sense.

So, I'd get with the carrier and not worry about palmOne -- again, unless the unit is a generic unlocked GSM unit bought from palmOne directly.
    ----------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl

Handheld Evangelist
    Sprint Treo 600

From The Mind of Mike...
    Looks like dead pixels, is there anyway you could get a better picture.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I've added another pic, although I'm not sure about the quality. None of the pics come out clearly for some reason.

As for where I purchased the Treo, I actually purchased it outright through Harvey Norman in Australia, so no carrier involved.

I'm almost ready to just cut my losses with this phone, as this is just one of a long list of problems over the last month.
    hello,

being I am reading this from a treo I can't look at the pics. One thing that happened to me though on my treo 300 was I left it in the sun UNDER some papers and it burnt a tiny hole in it. It didn't make it unusable at first, but after a while it spread and looked like a crack and made it useless. That convinced me to get a 600. That was a lot to type on a treo.

-Phil-
    Ouch! I can only imagine the anguish....
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie_bc
    I went to use my phone today and noticed what looks like a hole behind the screen. It's almost like there is a transparent screen behind and it has basically just appeared (see attached).

The phone has not been dropped or anything that may have caused this. I am currently waiting for a response from Palmone in regards to Warranty, as I have only had the phone since 26/6/04.

Does anyone have any ideas, or seen this sort of thing before.

Jamie
    Don't waste your time. Get it replaced. I had exactly the same problem. Palm 1 will not question it. My replacement unit arrived within 4 days.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????