1.    #1  
    How are you supposed to update a phone that isn't Cingular, ATT, etc? Is there a generic rom upgrade? How can you tell which one you have? Thanks for any help fellas.

P800->Treo 600->P900->XDA II->P900->MPx->Treo 600->iPaq 6315->MDA III->i-Mate PDA2k->o2 XDA IIs & o2 XDA II Mini
    My understanding is that in the case of generic GSM hardware, you update with the ROM from the carrier you're using for your wireless service. There are carrier-specific utilities, updates and even programs that get applied in each of those ROM upgrades.
    ----------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl

Handheld Evangelist
    Sprint Treo 600

From The Mind of Mike...
    I agree. I have a generic GSM purchased in Singapore, running TMo in the U.S. I used the TMo update, and was recommended to do so by P1, and have had no problems. It didn't lock my phone or do any other strange things.
    FYI: P1 has a specific updater for Unbranded or Generic Treo 600's : 1.12ROW (Rest of World). If your treo is truly unbranded and unlocked from P1, it should work ok. I used it on my new Treo which was unbranded and it worked great.

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...ter_other.html

Lewisl77
    Quote Originally Posted by AfroCreame
    How are you supposed to update a phone that isn't Cingular, ATT, etc? Is there a generic rom upgrade? How can you tell which one you have? Thanks for any help fellas.
    I have an unbranded T600. You need to use the Other carrier/international option to update an unbranded T600.

Note, that with Windows XP, I needed to run the installer twice for it to complete the update. Don't know why, but it was an installer issue.

This was true for two different T600s so don't be alarmed.

Phone works much better now. Much less echo with the microphone.