Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin
    I've found that if I install ebooks directly to the card, I can read them from the card. If I install them to the Treo and then move them to the card with Filez, I cannot read them from the card but must move them back to the palm to read them.
    There is information saved after you've opened the ebook, so that's probably why you run into this problem. The saved information probably refers to the original location of the ebook.
    Is there a easy process to download it directly to the card?
    Quote Originally Posted by OEDEric
    Is there a easy process to download it directly to the card?
    In the install tool, you can check the "change destination" box. Highlight the file and hit the >>
    Laissez Faire
    I use TiBR for ebooks. The Pro version comes with lots of options for fonts, background, etc...
    Something else to consider if you like books, is getting AudibleReader from Audible.com and a headphone, and listen to books! Very enjoyable, no eye strain, interesting selections.
    Quick question, I'm new to my Treo and haven't used the Palm OS in years. Does ereader or any other reader app recognize .lit (for pocketpc)? I just dumped the PPC for the treo and have a load of .lit files.

Thanks in advance.
    One of the differences I see between audible and ereader though is price. A book is about 2-3 times more expensive in audible. It may just be the books I've looked at and I understand the convenience factor of being able to hear them while doing something elsevs. having to read them on the little screen; however, if price is a consideration, this is something to consider.
    What format are books on CD that you can borrow from the library? Is it the same as an audio CD? If so, I should be able to convert it to MP3 or Ogg and use P Tunes to listen on the Treo. Yes or no?
    I believe they are the same format - I know my audio bible is just like a CD. If they are not you could always use a program like cakewalk pyro to copy it as streaming audio and save it as MP3.
    curious why are ebooks the same price as their paper counterparts? the costs are much lower. why wouldn't they charge less since there are no distribution charges, marketing charges, etc.
    oh boy; i can't believe NOBODY gave iSilo some support on this thread yet.
    i've been trying out several ebooks readers, and ended up with iSilo only constantly on my palm.

...you might want to check out the iSiloX software that comes along from the same developers ( and it's free ); i was litterally AMAZED when i started downloading COMPLETE websites for later consultation on my treo...

...my 2 cents
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Koros could you please tell more about the iSilo reader, I just found out about it yesterday.
    And explain about the complete website download into iSilo
    Thanks
    Terry
    911Guy: Sorry, there are no Palm apps that can open .lit files. This is Microsoft's fault - they refuse to let a Palm app for .lit be built, since they are touting it as one of the many exclusive benefits of owning a PocketPC.

Jamison13: Good question, and one the publishing industry is asking itself right now. As a self-publishing writer, I've just been handing out my eBooks for free ( http://www.jasonpettus.com/ebooks ), and with great success - my most popular book has been downloaded almost 30,000 times now, and support for my tours, live appearances, website, etc. has increased exponentially as well. When I tried selling one of my eBooks last year, however, I didn't have a single person purchase it. The simple fact of the matter is that the majority of book readers out there will happily READ an eBook when it's offered for free, but 95 percent of the time purchase the paper copy instead if money is being charged for the eBook. (I'm the same way - why pay full price for a library full of books that can be wiped out with one computer crash?) Until the mainstream publishing industry finally figures this out themselves, you're going to see more of the same - ridiculously expensive eBooks, and a bunch of publishing executives scratching their heads and saying, "Why is nobody buying our books?" Us self-publishing writers are more than happy to take advantage of the situation as long as the publishing industry continues to not have a clue.

A warning about iSilo, by the way - since it runs on its own proprietary format, there are MANY existing eBooks that won't open in it, and of course any iSilo documents you create will be unable to be opened in any other piece of software. It's a pretty great little program, granted, but pretty much useless when it comes to anything besides iSilo files. Buyer beware.
    A warning about iSilo, by the way - since it runs on its own proprietary format, there are MANY existing eBooks that won't open in it, and of course any iSilo documents you create will be unable to be opened in any other piece of software. It's a pretty great little program, granted, but pretty much useless when it comes to anything besides iSilo files. Buyer beware.
    ...well, i wouldn't know about that; it opens EVERY standard .pdb palm format file; including non iSilo.pdb documents.
    it does NOT open OTHER proprietary formats, as probably, other readers don't open iSilo formats; which is fair enough...

...only, the other readers don't come with the mighty iSiloX app to convert website to palm format; plus the interface is easy to learn, don't take much place, and you can cut/past text portions among other regular features ( enhance fonts, auto-scrolling, VERY GOOD category feats with implementation of folder system and SD card scan... ).

...then again, everyone his own taste, right ?

check it out !

http://www.isilo.com/
    http://www.isilox.com/

PS - ...and there are more titles in iSilo format on the web then any other proprietary format anyway; even if you don't use the web convertion feat, you can have a good reding start here...

http://www.memoware.com/
    Last edited by koros; 09/01/2004 at 11:08 AM.
    Where is a good site to get ebooks?

Thanks
  16. GXT
    Quote Originally Posted by abdm436
    Where is a good site to get ebooks?

Thanks
    http://www.ereader.com/
    includes free Science Fiction / Fantasy books: www.baen.com
  18. seh
    Since this has been brought back from the dead, lol, I have to state that I LOVE to read ebooks on my palm IIIxe, and now my Treo 600. I have been reading the 9/11 commission report on it.
    Several useful directories listed here.

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/041019-153730
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonpettus
    911Guy: Sorry, there are no Palm apps that can open .lit files. This is Microsoft's fault - they refuse to let a Palm app for .lit be built, since they are touting it as one of the many exclusive benefits of owning a PocketPC.

Actually, there is a way:
    http://www.convertlit.com/index.php

ConvertLit creates an html file of the entire text of a .lit book. You can then select all copy and paste the text into a .txt file for your Palm device; or use several freeware programs to convert text to pdb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12