Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My wife has generously offered me an iPod for my birthday. Before she sends the money to Mr. Jobs, how does the sound quality of a Treo 600 with Pocket Tunes compare to an iPod?
    2nd question, should I be using Ogg Vorbis?
    Great forum incidentally!
    iPod doesn't support Ogg. However, it is rather amazing, as the 40GB model can store 10,000 songs. The coolest part is being able to carry around your ENTIRE music collection, allowing you to play whatever song currently strikes your fancy.

I say go for the iPod.

Thanks,
    Peter

ps. In the interest of full disclosure, I do work for Apple.
    I am quite partial towards Apple and it's iPod due to the design and capacity. I havent really heard an mp3 on the Treo600, but i couldnt imagine having sufficient battery life to utilize the Treo after listening to music all day.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I've always felt that sound quality is more a question of how your library is encoded than which device you use to listen to it. Lots of people buy 40 GB iPods and $300 Bose headphones, only to play 128k Mp3s or worse.

The iPod is the only real way to go for me. No matter how big an SD card I buy, I can't come close to the over 30 GB of music and Audible book content on my iPod. That gives me much greater choice when it comes to what I want to listen to at any given moment. Also, the user interface on the iPod surpasses everything I've ever seen on the Palm, or any other place, for that matter. I wish I could have the iPod interface on
    my home stereo.

Usually I'm a huge proponent of converging devices for easier portability. That's why I use a Treo in the first place. But only when a single device can perform all the tasks at hand as efficiently or close to as efficiently. I don't think the Treo experience, as a music player, comes close to the iPod.

That being said, your needs may differ greatly from mine. So you need to do some research to make the best decision. Go to a store and play around with an iPod for a few minutes. See if the experience catches you the way it did for millions of others. You may decide that the Treo will suit you fine.

As far as Ogg goes, I can't comment too much. I have listened to various Ogg-encoded tracks, but I haven't perceived too much of a difference. Personally, I'm quite happy with AAC, unless it's a classical track, or a particularly good production, in which case I stick with AIFF. My iPod can still store plenty of those with little problem.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Ohk, it seems as though I am a bit behind in technology. Does anyone use mp3's anymore? Is this OGG and AIFF and AAc the new wave, and if so, are they better?
    AAC and OGG are better than MP3 at the same bitrate, although AAC seems to be more common.
    AIFF is uncompressed, so it's exactly what's stored on your CD.

Thanks,
    Peter
    I have both the Treo600 and the iPod. They really shouldnt be a choice of one or the other. I like them both for different things. In terms of quality, in my case, I couldn't see the difference after I copied the iTunes equalizer settings on my Pocket Tunes.

The one thing I noticed though is that I now listen to the Treo music more often than the iPod because I have it with me all the time and I can listen to music through its speakerphone. I also use the Treo music for running because the ipod cannot go beyond 20 minutes because of its sensitive hard drive.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    I primarily listen to music at home or in the car.. the only other time that I would listen to mp3's is on business trips when I go by plane.. so I don't need 15-40 gig's worth to carry around. I was pondering the same thing.. I am just wondering what the quality of the Treo is when used with some good ear buds from good quality recordings? How does it compare with the ipod? I want to go the treo route since I can get away with carrying a couple 512mb's. I saw that Frys had some 512's for $39 after rebate last weekend...
    i have to agree. i dont have nearly enough favorites to warrant getting a 40 or even 20 gigabyte ipod - although the idea is cool. the treo`s sd cards are perfect for my needs.

i listen to my favorite individual songs in the car on the way to work, and while going home from work, catching a little shoutcast here and there along the way.

the treo combines ALL of my needs into one. so the choice for me is the treo.
    now if i wanted to hear full concerts, or full cds, etc, however, that would be a different story.
    I have both the iPod and a Treo 600, and I thought that on some days I could leave the iPod behind and listen to the MP3s on the Treo. It's no comparison. The iPod is specifically an MP3 player, and in my opinion the sound quality was better. It's still cool when I show Pocket Tunes to people with the iTunes Skin. It makes it look better than the iPod. Maybe when/if the newer Treos come with a built in hard drive like the iPod mini and have a jack for headphones that you don't need an adapter, maybe then it might be a good option
    I know this may seem like a silly question but did you use the same headphones for both?
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50
    I am quite partial towards Apple and it's iPod due to the design and capacity. I havent really heard an mp3 on the Treo600, but i couldnt imagine having sufficient battery life to utilize the Treo after listening to music all day.
    i've used the treo for straight mp3 playback for 8 hours. battery read 60%. this was without any heavy cell phone usage.
    pretty impressive as an mp3 player.
    estimate about 16hours of dedicated mp3 usage
    I have the Bose noise cancelling headphones and the Treo 1/8" adapter. With this setup, the sound is superb. I listen to both MP3 and OGG, and OGG sounds the same, but a bit smaller than MP3.

There are two iPods in the office. I plugged my headphones in them and they sound exactly the same as listening to my Treo. Plus, my Treo can play Shoutcast, which I listen to for a few live shows I like.

With a one gig card, I never run out of music. I'm just not interested in an iPod as the money isn't worth it for me.

Your mileage may vary
    Wow! 8 hours of straight music with 60% of the battery left! I must invest in the PocketTunes Deluxe... But what is this I hear of a 1 gig card? I want one, if it exists! I am just afraid that if I do start listening to music w/ my Treo, I wont want to do anythign else with it-including taking phone calls! I guess that is a personal dilemma...
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50
    Wow! 8 hours of straight music with 60% of the battery left! I must invest in the PocketTunes Deluxe... But what is this I hear of a 1 gig card? I want one, if it exists! I am just afraid that if I do start listening to music w/ my Treo, I wont want to do anythign else with it-including taking phone calls! I guess that is a personal dilemma...

that's funny. I'm listening to music. DON'T BOTHER ME, DAMN IT. I have the 40 GB iPod with iTrip. It's a great combination for the road. Besides, whenever I play music and do something else on my t600, it crawls
    Dear all,

In other words, can we conclude that if we have TWO same music of the same bitrate, same file format (OGG, AAC, MP3, WMA, ABCD or whatever it is), same equaliser setting, listening through the same pair of headphone, the sound quality on the TREO and the iPOD is the same?

(Ok, to make it fair, let's disregard the humongus memory on iPOD and the functionality on TREO. And let's just say they can go on and on forever. Jsut comparing the sound.)
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Sound is the same.
    $299 for ipod that just plays music
    $399 for treo600, phone, mp3, videos, games, etc

no comparison! use that money and buy accessories for the treo600, including a sweet SD card, a irock and your set!

now you can plug the irock in your car, listen to music on the go, and receive phone calls through your car speakers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sgvnsxrated
    $299 for ipod that just plays music
    $399 for treo600, phone, mp3, videos, games, etc

no comparison! use that money and buy accessories for the treo600, including a sweet SD card, a irock and your set!

now you can plug the irock in your car, listen to music on the go, and receive phone calls through your car speakers!
    I think the scenario is like this:" iPod owners are likely to become Treo600 owners. It's more unlikely the other way around."

As an iPod owner and even though I use my Treo to listen to music more often nowadays (because it's convenient), there is no way that I would give up my iPod. Why? Because it's the best musicplayer there is and most of all it's an iPod!!!!

Oh by the way, I also use my iPod as a backup drive for my Powerbook
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast